Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Keeps shutting down/Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

The only issue I see in device manager is a PCI simple communications controller.  I tried deleting it and rebooting and it still has the yellow exclamation point.  Also noting that this has pretty much been there for as long as I can remember.

The computer only shuts down/reboots when in use, especially when watching videos.  When it sits idle nothing happens.

I tried to answer the other day and it rebooted on me lol.  There is no make/model of this pc.  This was originally custom built by a local computer guy as a server.  I have replaced the hard drive and upped the ram last year.

Advertisements

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

I went back and looked at the thread I had from March of last year.  We didn't see the hd was bad until we ran a Speccy scan (7 pages in).  Is it ok for me to do so for my own reassurance?  I don't want to mess up anything.

Also Secunia says I have several manual updates that need to be done, can I go ahead and try to do those, or should I wait?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am not familiar with using Speccy to do these types of scans and or repairs, probably would not feel be right. If anything Windows repair do better for that. Since i have been helping you with this issue my PC has been acting up only when i restart it though, it was going into what maybe called a boot loop, keeps on rebooting, shutting down and rebooting. Now only happened to me with restarts, when PC is running it never does this.

With mine believe issue was driver related with USB. Still having warnings in Event viewer myself about USB driver failing to load, but forum i work in has no clue, even top MVP's, so i called Gigabyte my motherboard manufacturer.

Long story short, i updated BIOS and boot loop is gone, but driver warnings in Event Viewer persist. Moral to my story is, many things can cause this to happen i found out and was told from Gigabyte and my own research. They were saying possible hardware, chipset was bad, to my knowledge i did not feel was chipset becasue did not do it when PC was being used for hours, now in your case it does, which questions it possible to be hardware. Even said when you were watching a video it rebooted,when idle fine, so when using more resources it's stressing something to show the issue.

As said before could be a driver issue if not good chance it's hardware related, since SFC command did not show any violations and no corrupt files to fix lead me to drivers or hardware. This is were it becomes more complex, determing which one is doing it. As far as this PCI simple communications controller, right click it and select update driver, select search online.

Does this have an Intel chipset ? Possible Chipset driver update it needs fix this, i saw this on mine, used Intel chipset driver, any yellow mark went away, but i am not sure unless i can see it to tell you what it is for. What area is it in, in the device manager, anyway capture scree nshot post it here ?

This is related to some device on system, whether it be from video card, modem.

Do not think great idea to ignore even though no errors and has been there for awhile. Check the control panel, in there look for Devices and Printers, in there is there a device with a yellow exclamation point, if so, right click and select troubleshoot.

Again Secunia not familiar with, but security software should be updated, assume use it for business.

How long ago was this system custom built ? Any warranty or service warranty still ? Computer that reboots like this, even under more stress, could be Power supply, video card, chipset and or any other hardware devices maybe failing or have corrupted drivers. Now for you i amy not suggest a BIOS upgrade, although in some circumstances you would do it if new update state a fix you require.

Edited by jds63, 10 February 2015 - 02:40 PM.

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00  GHz 2.00 GHz

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

We bought this several years ago, no warranty. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00  GHz 2.00 GHz

Well for knowing this chipset, was asking to try to resolve that yellow exclamation point in device manager, might need to reinstall chipset drivers. Intel has a utility on there site can make it easier then looking for yours on there site.

http://www.intel.com...support/detect/

Older model CPU on this custom built, saying said several years old, chipset model from  2007.

Have not responded to any other things i mentioned. Not sure of your technical knowledge on doing this yourself, testing components. Reinstalling Windows may not resolve it, if hardware issues, but an option to try, make sure backup all data on drive first, documents, files, pictures, whatever is important and can't be replaced.

Edited by jds63, 11 February 2015 - 03:51 PM.

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Right now I am going through the list that Secunia has put together of needed manual updates and updating them.  I started with windows and going from there.  When I finish doing that I'll see if the intel update is needed.  You mentioned you weren't familiar with Secunia.  It is on the recommended list that is linked to on this forum for programs to help keep track of needed updates.  I'm very thankful for your help and will report back shortly.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Right now I am going through the list that Secunia has put together of needed manual updates and updating them.  I started with windows and going from there.  When I finish doing that I'll see if the intel update is needed.  You mentioned you weren't familiar with Secunia.  It is on the recommended list that is linked to on this forum for programs to help keep track of needed updates.  I'm very thankful for your help and will report back shortly.

This what your talking about using ?

The Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a free computer security solution that identifies vulnerabilities in non-Microsoft (third-party) programs on your PC. Vulnerable programs can leave your PC open to attacks.
Simply put, it scans software on your system and identifies programs in need of security updates to safeguard your PC against cybercriminals. It then supplies your computer with the necessary software security updates to keep it safe.Using a scanner like Secunia PSI 3.0 is complementary to antivirus software, and as a free computer security program, is essential for every home computer.

O.k. good for security reasons, although not driver issues, which could be your issue too. As far as what is really wrong, do not feel this is going solve your problem, but not saying bad idea to use it.

My other choices were lined out in my other posts, can only take this step by step. Again as said could be driver or hardware issue, try to start off updating hardware drivers from manufacturer's web site, if need help locating them, give me make and model numbers of items, first example, Video card, chipset...so on...... You are very welcome for help anytime.

Edited by jds63, 11 February 2015 - 07:11 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Use this free program, very good and safe tell me what is on system, post a screen shot here  https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Post a screen shot, while window is open on screen, on keyboard press Ctrl and Print screen at same time, open up windows paint program, left click center of screen in paint.

Now go to top left of paint and click paste, center it with scroll bar on right, you can also crop picture. Go to top left, click file, saves as JPEG. Attach it here in a post from More reply options to your right on screen here.

Edited by jds63, 11 February 2015 - 07:19 PM.

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

That's the program I asked about running earlier :)  I'll run it now. 

Advertisements

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Here is the summaryspeccy summary.jpg

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

This is what I got after doing the intel driver search.  I chose the auto detect option:  

Intel driver search.png

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Even though drivers are up to date,does not say if any are corrupt for Intel. The Exclamation mark in device manager could still be due to Intel driver, try to update it through device manager by right clicking it, select either search or browse my computer, then let me select, see it there and install it.

CPU Temps are good, hard disk seems bit warm at 41c, unless doing a lot of writing and reading on drive before posting. Graphics card driver i do not find much on it, i'll assume if Intel utlity did not find anything newer driver it's fine.

Sometimes windows update will find anything new. Have any disks given to you when you purchased this, Software, drivers, Windows 7 ?

Feel like broken record, but again this could or can be due to bad hardware....RAM could be faulty, Power supply which i would need someone else here to look at the voltage specs, motherboard, maybe integrated graphics and even the hard drive. Again other possibilities corrupt drivers or conflicts with hardware. What i am not sure of is your knowledge of opening the case and working inside it.

And Your welcome for all, keep Intel Utility, no harm to PC, Speccy is nice free program, try CCleaner on same Piriform site.

Edited by jds63, 12 February 2015 - 12:28 AM.

Faithsa

Faithsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

When I had the hd replaced I also upgraded to windows 7 pro and was given the disk for it.  That's all I have.

Ok, so if it could be due to bad hardware how do I know?!?  I saw on the speccy that the hd was good.  As far as the case, I know where the ram is and the hd is.  I've opened the case many times and cleaned it out thoroughly.  There is rarely any dust in there.  I have not replaced the hd myself as I didn't have the means to transfer my data over but I am not unfamiliar with the basic components.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. try this first.......

Run Windows Memory Diagnostics tool to check the RAM.

Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button, mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter,Administrator permission required,if you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Choose whether to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart. Windows Memory Diagnostics runs automatically after the computer restarts and performs a standard memory test automatically. When testing is completed, the computer restarts automatically. You’ll see the test results when you log on.If your watching the screen which takes good amount fo time it will tell you some results.

If results do not show on restart, Go to the Event viewer,Event viewer can be opened from Run command by typing eventvwr. then hit enter. EV loads go to Applications and Services Logs on the left, expand it and go down to Microsoft>Windows>MemoryDiagnostics-Results, see log there from center of screen.

There are softwares that can check the power supply for issues, this i am not familiar with reading, voltage.Power supply if having incorrect voltage can cause issues to hardware (motherboard and so on...)

Video card, now that i think about it, do not think this is a cause, yours is integrated into Motherboard. Usual symptoms be distorted and no picture, sometimes from failing hardware or drivers for them.

We seemed to rule out malware or virus, be another cause. Some of my last thoughts be Corrupted Windows 7 installation and bad drivers or hardware, software conflicts.

Unless became bad enough were it is asking you to run Repair disk from windows disk, i know reinstalling Windows 7 can be a long process, putting everything back on, i know i have done this many times in my history with a PC's. Be in the habit of using system restore points after this.

Event viewer will hold errors happening on system as i explained before, sometimes give ideas of what maybe, why i remember asking look into it more, usual and i have Windows 8.1, can't recall differences in it.
Should be section to top left called Custom Views, open that Administrative events, left click that, look at list in center, each one select give you details below it.

Give you another program, checks voltage of PSU, possibly get one of other techs here to take a look.To the left on this page  http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html   Post a screen shot here

Edited by jds63, 12 February 2015 - 06:54 PM.