Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba laptop won't go past login screen (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Whenever I try to log onto my toshiba satellite laptop it stays at a black screen. Not sure what to do. This has been going on for the past 12 hours.

Edited by Dbz2004, 04 February 2015 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Dbz2004,

Couple of questions;

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this happening, this includes installing Windows updates.

Do you get anything at all on the screen such as the BIOS, Toshiba splash screen/logo or a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps already, if yes, can you tell us what.

TIP
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I let my computer auto download the important updates whenever they are available and I downloaded guildwars2 last weekend on my computer.

All I get after I log on is a cursor and that's it. Just the cursor and a black screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you tried any troubleshooting steps already, if yes, can you tell us what.

TIP
To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I tried unplugging my lappy and taking out the battery, holding down the pose button for a minute and then I plugged in my laptop and turned it on and tried to log on but I still was stuck on the black screen.

I will follow the topic as soon as I figure out how to do it on the mobile version of the site

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As you are getting a blinking cursor it may suggest that the screen and video chip are ok and that the issue is with Windows or the hard drive that Windows is on.

Couple more questions and a suggestion for you to try;

Does the hard drive activity LED blink when you power up the computer.

Do you have a Windows or system restore disk, this in case a repair installation of Windows is required.

Suggestion;

Try restarting the notebook and continually tapping the F8 key to see if you can get into Safe Mode, this to see if it is a video driver issue.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
It is a solid cursor.

The hd icon is the one next to the battery symbol right? Yeah it is blinking.

I still have my recovery discs. Had to use them when I installed my new hard drive last month.

I will try turning it on in safe mode in a moment

EDIT: computer was able to log on perfectly in safe mode

Edited by Dbz2004, 04 February 2015 - 03:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Good news that Safe Mode is working as it normally means that it is a driver issue be it missing, conflicting or corrupt, please check for a system restore point that is before the issue first happened, you need to do this from Safe Mode with Command prompt the details of which I have copy/paste from MS to below;

You need to have an administrator account to perform these steps.

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer in safe mode.

2. Log on to the computer.

3. At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press Enter.

Note
  • If you use System Restore when the computer is in safe mode, you cannot undo the restore operation. However, you can run System Restore again and choose a different restore point, if one exists.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Restoring my computer right now. Will any programs I downloaded after the 3rd still be on my computer after it is finished?

EDIT:
I got an error message after I tried to log on after doing the system restore. This is what it says:

System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's files and setting we're not changed.

Details:
And unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0xc0000022)

You can try system restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

The only restore point I saw was for the 3rd of this month

EDIT 2: never mind. It just gave me an option for the 4th so I am going to try that one now

Edited by Dbz2004, 04 February 2015 - 05:49 PM.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Got the same message after I restored it from a different restore point and the screen is still black behind the error message. It was the same for the first time the error message popped up

Edit: when I clicked on show more restore points it gives me points all the way up to when I reinstalled windows on my new hard drive.

Edited by Dbz2004, 04 February 2015 - 05:57 PM.

Advertisements

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

i don't know how but my computer finally managed to load up past the login screen. not sure why it took forever to load. but this issue has been resolved. thank you for your help  :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Or maybe not. Restarted my computer because it had some updates and it still won't get past the black screen. Restarted it on safe mode and it booted up fine. Do you think I should do a CHKDSK on my laptop?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I`m confused as you said it was resolved but almost a week later have now told us "Or maybe not. Restarted my computer because it had some updates and it still won't get past the black screen." 

What were the updates?

Anyhow as per my reply #8 just be sure that the restore point you select is before this latest issue occurred;

You need to have an administrator account to perform these steps.

1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer in safe mode.

2. Log on to the computer.

3. At the command prompt, type rstrui.exe, and then press Enter.

Note
  • If you use System Restore when the computer is in safe mode, you cannot undo the restore operation. However, you can run System Restore again and choose a different restore point, if one exists.

Let us know how the restore point goes.

Dbz2004

Dbz2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I thought it was since the last time it started up it didn't go to the black screen. Not sure what the updates were. They downloaded last night when I was asleep and my computer prompted me to restart my computer when I logged on this afternoon.

I will try that when I am done with a CHKDSK that I am doing right now. Hopefully it doesn't give me an error message like it did before