Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java won't install

java

• Please log in to reply

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

This morning I removed Java from my computer with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted. I checked to see if Java was gone from add/remove programs, and it was. I then attempted to update to Java 8 Update 31 by downloading the exe file to my desktop. I opened it and got this error message, 'A newer build of this version of Java already exists on your system. It is not possible to install an older build.'

I then went to Java.com and clicked on 'Do I have Java', and I get this message: 'We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser. If you have installed Java and there is an error with the verification, there could be a configuration issue (eg. browser, Java control panel, security settings) or the Java plug-in is blocked by the browser.'

I then went to Java.com to use the uninstall tool for removal of older versions of Java and got this message: 'Java is disabled or not installed'.

I went into Firefox Addons and Plugins to see if I needed to 'enable' Java in some way but it wasn't listed. I also turned off my firewall antivirus and adware blocker prior to all the steps I have mentioned previously. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any guidance is appreciated
(The browser I use is Firefox and up to date fyi.) Jennifer

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Jennifer :)

Let's see if Java is detected on your system with SecurityCheck.

P32ZMcU.pngSecurityCheck
  • Download SecurityCheck and move the executable to your Desktop;
  • Execute SecurityCheck, press on a key and let the scan run;
    KQuxDxN.png
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi Aura.

Here ya go.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.96  
 Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86   
 Internet Explorer 8  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
avast! Antivirus   
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 SUPERAntiSpyware     
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 MBAM out of Date!  
 Java version 32-bit out of Date!
  Java 64-bit 8 Update 31  
 Adobe Flash Player     16.0.0.305  
 Mozilla Firefox (35.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 29% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It appears that you are using Windows XP SP3 and you have Java 8 Update 31 installed. Java 8 isn't supported under Windows XP, hence why you're getting errors with it. The latest version of Java supported on Windows XP is Java 7 Update 60 or 65 if I recall correctly. If you want to have a more recent version, you'll have to upgrade your Windows to Vista or a more recent one. Also, I suggest you to not install java if you don't have any use for it as it's one of the most exploited program by malware to infect a system. Having it installed on a system is a huge security risk.

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I have a program that requires Java to run. How do I remove and replace it with Java 7 update 60?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I would download and use JavaRa to remove all past versions of Java on your system:

http://sourceforge.n...rojects/javara/

Once done, I would download Java 7 Update 60 from the Java archive page, here:

http://www.oracle.co...re-7u60-oth-JPR

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.96  
 Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86   
 Internet Explorer 8  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
avast! Antivirus   
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 SUPERAntiSpyware     
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 MBAM out of Date!  
  Java 64-bit 8 Update 31  
 Adobe Flash Player     16.0.0.305  
 Mozilla Firefox (35.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 29% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I ran the Javara app and rebooted. I then did security check again, but java still shows up?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
For some reason it detects the 64-bits version of Java installed on your system, while you have the 32-bits version of Windows XP. If you go in C:\Program Files do you have a folder called Oracle or Java?

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I checked to see if a Java plugin was enabled in my web browser, but Java isn't listed in the Firefox plugins or extensions list. If I go into 'All Programs', 'Java' is the last one on the bottom. I open it up, and there are five files each displaying an icon that looks like a blank computer screen with a light grey border around a rectangle, a white screen like a blank computer screen, and a blue heading from left to right acting as a top border. They are labelled 'About Java' 'Check for Updates' 'Configure Java' 'Get Help' and 'Visit Java.com'. If I hit any of the first three, I get a message that says: 'windows is searching for javacpl.exe to locate the file yourself click browse.' I may have deleted that file?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Right click on the Java folder you are talking about and select "Open file location". Where are you taken? In what folder?

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

The folder is titled 'Java'.

There are five files each 1.53 kb in size. The icons all look like a blank computer screen with a light grey border around a rectangle, a white screen like a blank computer screen for a background, and a blue heading from left to right acting as a top border. They are labelled 'About Java' 'Check for Updates' 'Configure Java' 'Get Help' and 'Visit Java.com'. If I hit any of the first three, I get a message that says: 'windows is searching for javacpl.exe to locate the file yourself click browse.' I may have deleted that file?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I mean, where is that folder located? The path. Is it in C:\Program Files\Java?

JenniferRiordan

JenniferRiordan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

My bad.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Edited by JenniferRiordan, 09 February 2015 - 10:22 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, if you right-click on one of the icons under Java and select Properties, where is that file pointing at? Where is the main executable located (the path)?