Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU fails (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

really don't see a problem with high ram anyway to be honest.

all the reviewer needed to do is fit the fan on the other side so it was pulling air through the heat sink and not pushing it,

if it was a heatsink designed to fit the fan only on one side then i'd consider it a problem. 

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 12 March 2015 - 12:44 PM.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Thanks for your help.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Got the new cooler.

New tests:

Prime 95 26.6 Max 68 Celsius after 10 Minutes Test

Prime 95 28.9 Max 90 Celsius after 4 Minutes Test (?!)

As I have heard that the version 28.9. is not good for Intel CPUs I shouldn't use it for stressing the CPU?

The first results look very good to me when I think back to my stock cooler which hit the 100 celsius mark.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

from my understanding the new version of prime95 is actually optimised for newer intel cpu's so don't know where you heard it's not good for intel cpu's,

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

haven't used the new version myself and usually got temps around the 70c with a half decent aftermarket cooler when under 100% load just like you get with the older version so must admit that 90c temp surprised me compared to the older version of prime95.

did it stop climbing then or did you stop it because it got so high? be interest to see what temps you get with intel burn test compared to prime95 too.

think i'm going to have to download both the older version and newer version of prime and run my own tests now just to satisfy my own curiosity after seeing your results. :D

well for me using linux and a custom water cooling loop there wasn't any noticeable temp difference between 26.6 and 28.5 versions of prime95. both held steady around the 60/61c mark. 

ran both for 20 minutes each.

Edited by terry1966, 18 March 2015 - 07:17 AM.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Intel Burn Test was around 75 Celsius when I remember correctly. (ran it for 5 Minutes)

Do NOT use any Prime95 versions later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Reference: http://www.tomshardw...high-4790k.html

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

for all intents and purposes as long as it passed the tests, i think your good to go and have a nice stable pc with a heatsink that will keep your cpu cooler than a stock heatsink so you don't need to worry or run any more stress tests.

i notice the poster who made those comments also included a dodgy link to download the earlier version so not saying he's wrong and the newer version does not stress a cpu more (and needs a better cooler to cope.) but it does make me wonder about his reasons, after all prime95 is used for real work and is meant to be run continuously 24/7 just like fah (a distributed computing program :-  http://folding.stanford.edu/) which is another program i found that really heats up a cpu.

Edited by terry1966, 18 March 2015 - 07:30 AM.