Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello zeck1510,

If the computer that has Windows 7 on the HDD is functional you can find the Microsoft product key for the present W7 installation by using the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) download from here make a note of it, store it somewhere safe and do not reveal the details to anyone else  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

Thanks Phillpower2

Advertisements

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello zeck1510,

If the computer that has Windows 7 on the HDD is functional you can find the Microsoft product key for the present W7 installation by using the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) download from here make a note of it, store it somewhere safe and do not reveal the details to anyone else  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

This is true if Windows 7 was installed by the user. If the computer came with Windows 7 installed then what MJB will show is the VLK (Volume License Key) used by the manufacturer. That key will not work on a reinstall.

Edit: Having said the above, I just found this thread:  http://www.geekstogo...21-no-more-oem/

Oh the key can't be reused again for reinstall? Based on this, I seem to understand that the all computer we purchased from manufacturer comes with VLK(Volume License Key). Thanks for the thread link Ztruker. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the late reply zeck1510  :(

I seem to understand that the all computer we purchased from manufacturer comes with VLK(Volume License Key). 

Is the computer a brand name such as Acer, Dell or HP etc.

Do you now have your product key number written down.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Apologies for the late reply zeck1510  :(

I seem to understand that the all computer we purchased from manufacturer comes with VLK(Volume License Key). 

Is the computer a brand name such as Acer, Dell or HP etc.

Do you now have your product key number written down.

Sorry for the late reply phillpower2.

Yes I've downloaded MJB through your given link. I've also written down the product key for my future reference. It's just that I'm unsure whether is that the Volume license key. My computer brand is ACER.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem zeck1510, been rather busy myself  :)

Product key details acknowledged  :thumbsup:

The reason that I asked if the computer was a brand name was to see if a recovery partition may be available, if you have not checked see here

If no recovery partition for whatever reason, HDD changed or formatted etc, recovery media for your computer from Acer will not only have Windows on it but also all drivers and utilities that you may need, it may also be less expensive than purchasing Windows 7, erecovery media details here

Reinstall steps here

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

No problem zeck1510, been rather busy myself  :)

Product key details acknowledged  :thumbsup:

The reason that I asked if the computer was a brand name was to see if a recovery partition may be available, if you have not checked see here

If no recovery partition for whatever reason, HDD changed or formatted etc, recovery media for your computer from Acer will not only have Windows on it but also all drivers and utilities that you may need, it may also be less expensive than purchasing Windows 7, erecovery media details here

Reinstall steps here

Thanks a lot phillpower2. Really do appreciate your guidance and support.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem zeck1510,

Keep us posted and any questions let us know  :thumbsup:

BTW, is using a recovery partition an option for you.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

No problem zeck1510,

Keep us posted and any questions let us know  :thumbsup:

BTW, is using a recovery partition an option for you.

Hi Phillpower2,

I noticed that both my computers has the recovery partition in which you mentioned above. May I know what's the difference between Acer recovery and reformatting and reinstalling Windows? Is it actually the same? Is recovery basically setting the computer to factory settings?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello zeck1510,

Using a recovery partition when one is available restores the computer to the exact way it was when first purchased, all drivers and utilities will be restored however all other data on the HDD will be lost and you will need to install all of the Windows updates that will be missing.

Where OEM computers are concerned using a recovery partition is best as it removes the need for you to download and install the required drivers separately.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks Phillpower2.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome zeck1510  :)

How are you getting on with it.

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Previously, I actually wanted to buy a Win7 Home Premium OS CD so that I could reformat and reinstall both my pcs.

But then after getting replies and guidance through this thread that I do need to be aware of which licence keys both my pcs is activated right now etc2.

For example, Volume Licence keys could not be reused again etc2. Drivers to be downloaded etc2. I myself isn't really sure the keys that I saw from MJB is the VLK which could not be reactivated or the individual licence keys.

I didn't know that formatting PC and reinstalling Windows are so confusing.  

I guess that I'm just going to perform recovery for both my computers as per your guides so I won't have to worry about the licence keys and drivers.  

Thanks a lot phillpower2 for your detailed explanation. I do greatly appreciate it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad we could help and thank you for the follow up zeck1510  :thumbsup:

Let us know how using the recovery partitions goes and any further questions please ask   :)

zeck1510

zeck1510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Glad we could help and thank you for the follow up zeck1510  :thumbsup:

Let us know how using the recovery partitions goes and any further questions please ask   :)

Thanks for your follow up too Phillpower2. I do greatly appreciate your kind assistance.