Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 suddenly lagging and slow

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

I make a point of never calling a notebook computer a laptop as it implies that one should be used sat in your lap when the fact is that one should not be   Notebook computers require coo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

phillpower2,

I must confess that I don't always have the computer on a level, flat hard surface. I sometimes have it sitting on my lap or on the arm of the couch. I don't hear the cooling fan at all, never have. I have set a clean restore point and Windows Defender is active. The thing is, I have used it (where I place it) the same way since I got it.

I will tell you that it is running better, about 75% better than when I had the malware, so I am making headway! 

Paul

Advertisements

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

......oh, and the room that it is most used in is always between 65 and 70 degrees....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

I make a point of never calling a notebook computer a laptop as it implies that one should be used sat in your lap when the fact is that one should not be  :no:

Notebook computers require cool, clean and unrestricted airflow when in use and to achieve this all vents should be kept clear and there should be a gap beneath the notebook so that base of the notebook is also kept cool, notebooks have those feet so that they sit level on a flat even surface to allow this, using a notebook on a soft surface not only restricts the vents but also allows dust and other heat trapping material to be drawn in through the vents by the internal cooling fan/s.

See HP Notebook PCs - Reducing heat inside the PC to prevent overheating here

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Hello phillpower2,

I understand what you are saying about the notebook overheating, but with all due respect, I don't believe this is the problem. The notebook never feels at all warm how I use it (and I have an older one that gets hot) and this issue just started recently and I am using it the same way as I have since I got it in December.

I have noticed recently that the indicator for "internet access" which is made up of 5 bars, sometimes drops to 4 bars, to 2 bars, then back up again and so on. It just feels as though there is something draining the resources and I can't figure out what it is.

Trust me, I am not dismissing your suggestions as I value your help greatly. Lord knows I couldn't figure this out myself. I just know this notebook and it seems to be acting strange sometimes, and other times it's OK. Your suggestions to this point have helped, but it isn't the computer it was when I got it.

I hope there is more we can do here to try to figure it out.

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Unlike a CPU frying in seconds when its cooling fan has failed the hardware damage caused by heat is not instant and therefore not obvious, performance deteriorates over a period of time with the most obvious symptom being a slow computer, obviously it is your choice how you use the computer and all that we can do is provide you with as much information as possible;

heat can reduce your hard drive’s lifespan, with National Instruments reporting that an increase of just 5°C above room ambient temperature can take up to two years off a drive’s expectancy.

Laptops and Heat

We’ve probably all had a hot laptop on our laps before.  It’s amazing how hot they can get and there are even cases where laptops can cause ‘toasted skin syndrome’ when used for prolonged periods of time on the lap.

Making sure that the inside of the notebook is as clear of dust as possible and using it on a table is what I suggest that you try but do keep in mind that the wi-fi signal fluctuating may not be notebook but router related.

Sophiasoni

Sophiasoni

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Sounds like one of the programs running in the background is causing the issue. Most computer slowness issues are caused by running various applications at one time. This is long and tedious but you need to disable all of the start up items with Ccleaner, reboot check whether issue still perseveres then enable programs one at a time or  and see which one are causing it to have irregular lags.
Another possibility is to unplug your Ethernet cable. Disable your internet completely, leave all your programs checked to start up when windows boots and see if it still lags,

Edited by CompCav, 17 April 2015 - 04:58 AM.
Removed malware advicee per TOU

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sophiasoni

Thank you for your input but can I ask that you read any thread thoroughly before posting and refrain from including anything that is malware removal related such as scanning the machine with AV software, the computer concerned here has been given the all clear of malware by the GTG malware removal experts in the thread here and the member referred back to this tech related thread.

Thank you for understanding.

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

phillpower2,

I have taken your advice and am using the notebook on a smooth, flat lap desk and it does seem to have helped greatly. I appreciate all the help I have received on the site and would not hesitate to return should I have any more issues. I thank you and DanoNH very much. I think we can close this thread and if I have any more problems I will start a new thread.

Thanks again,

Paul

Sophiasoni

Sophiasoni

• Pip
  • 4 posts

ok thankyou for responce

Edited by Sophiasoni, 17 April 2015 - 11:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

phillpower2,

I have taken your advice and am using the notebook on a smooth, flat lap desk and it does seem to have helped greatly. I appreciate all the help I have received on the site and would not hesitate to return should I have any more issues. I thank you and DanoNH very much. I think we can close this thread and if I have any more problems I will start a new thread.

Thanks again,

Paul

Not a problem, if the issue does happen again there is no need to start a new thread you can post back here and we will look at other possibilities.

Advertisements

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Phillpower2,

I have been using my notebook now for a week and using it in a flat, hard surface to make sure it gets sufficient ventilation, have had the McAfee uninstalled and have tried to limit running programs and still is it very slow. It takes an unusual amount of time to load web pages still, videos are choppy and slow to load and downloading anything is a lesson in patience. Windows and HP updates sometimes are successful and other times they won't install at all. 

I had hoped it would straighten out, but it just doesn't seem to want to run with near the speed it had before and with it being so new, I would expect it to run a lot better. I have an old Dell notebook with only 2 gb hard drive that is almost 9 years old with Windows 7 (I upgraded it) and it blows this notebook out of the water speed wise.

Is it possible that when I had the malware that it changed a setting somewhere or damaged something? 

I hate to come back asking for help again, but I am getting very frustrated with this HP and aside from taking it into a shop, I don't know anyone else who can help me. So I am asking for your assistance again if possible.

Paul

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It takes an unusual amount of time to load web pages still, videos are choppy and slow to load and downloading anything is a lesson in patience. Windows and HP updates sometimes are successful and other times they won't install at all. 

Have you considered the possibility that it is your internet connection that is the problem!

Is it possible that when I had the malware that it changed a setting somewhere or damaged something? 

Nope, the staff there are experts in what they do and would not have left you with anything but a 100% functional, clean computer that has no issues.

I hate to come back asking for help again, but I am getting very frustrated with this HP and aside from taking it into a shop, I don't know anyone else who can help me. So I am asking for your assistance again if possible.

Ask away by all means but in all honesty getting rid of bloatware off the HDD is about all that can be done, basically there is nothing else wrong with the computer.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

It takes an unusual amount of time to load web pages still, videos are choppy and slow to load and downloading anything is a lesson in patience. Windows and HP updates sometimes are successful and other times they won't install at all.

Have you considered the possibility that it is your internet connection that is the problem!

Since I responded here before, I get notifications of thread activity.  So I have been following the discussion over time.  I had a couple of thoughts to offer, not really advice, but some things you might check. 

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, and  I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here... just trying to help. ;)

@pjgoodman2, regarding your Internet signal, it appears that you are using a Wireless Router.

• Is it secured with a password and does it have the latest firmware updates?
  • Have you checked the access log to make sure you know who is using it?  Wired devices might be involved too, depending on where it's located.
  • Have you used other devices on the router to check their connectivity/streaming capability, and if it's the same, better or worse?  I like to verify with http://speedtest.net
  • Are there any other Wireless devices within a 300-foot range?  This could include microwave ovens, computer equipment, other electronic devices, etc.  You might have interference from another router or device using the same wireless channel which can really affect signal quality.  If this is the case, you might need to change your WiFi channel.  There are wireless signal checker apps available that may help you see the signals around you.

Just this morning, I was watching a YouTube video a friend had linked me, and using Firefox, the video was really playing poorly.  So poorly that it made me swear out loud... ;)  It would play maybe half to one second, then pause half a second, then repeat.  Most frustrating indeed.  Chrome played the video just fine.

If you are seeing this stuttering issue using Firefox too, I found this article which describes how to disable HW Acceleration in Firefox, tried the steps, restarted Firefox, and it is streaming smoothly now.

Nope, the staff there are experts in what they do and would not have left you with anything but a 100% functional, clean computer that has no issues.

Thank you, kind sir!  We do try our best!

Cheers!  :D

pjgoodman2

pjgoodman2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Phillpower 2 and DanoNH,

I don't know how to do the quote boxes on this site, so I will do the best I can to answer your questions the best way I can,

Phillpower2 asked:  Have you considered the possibility that it is your internet connection that is the problem!  

I read this and since I have a 2nd, wireless router, I hooked it up and it performs the same. And other notebooks (Older ones) in my house are all out performing this one continually.

DanoNH asked: 

• Is it secured with a password and does it have the latest firmware updates? It is password protected. As far as firmware updates, I am not sure how to check this.
  • Have you checked the access log to make sure you know who is using it?  Wired devices might be involved too, depending on where it's located. Yes, I have checked it and my residence is the only one shown as using the connection.
  • Have you used other devices on the router to check their connectivity/streaming capability, and if it's the same, better or worse?  I like to verify withhttp://speedtest.net All other devices seem to be working just fine on my connection My test results:  http://www.speedtest...sult/4316245087
  • Are there any other Wireless devices within a 300-foot range?  This could include microwave ovens, computer equipment, other electronic devices, etc.  You might have interference from another router or device using the same wireless channel which can really affect signal quality.  If this is the case, you might need to change your WiFi channel.  There are wireless signal checker apps available that may help you see the signals around you.  I do have other wireless within the 300 foot range, but as I said, my other notebooks seem to be working just fine, no lag or choppiness in playing video. And the browser I use as default is Chrome, so that is the browser I use for video playback also.

If I didn't answer something fully or correctly, please let me know. 

Paul

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

First of all, I totally agree with @phillpower's findings thus far.  I've damaged a laptop CPU due to lack of airflow, but didn't know it until some time later after reduced performance.  Heat damage is permanent, but fortunately today's CPUs have thermal throttling built-in, which is intended to prevent damage. 

If it's only happening in Chrome, have you tried running Chrome with different plugins disabled?  This page has more information.  Also try Incognito Mode, which disables extensions for the browsing session.

Does it happen in Internet Explorer?  Firefox?  If so, I think it points more at the wireless hardware and software on this particular machine.  If not, then you might try resetting Chrome.

I don't want to keep dragging the thread out here (sorry phillpower2).  @pjgoodman2, are you getting page redirects, or pop-up advertising, or other symptoms of malware?  If so, we can re-open your malware thread, but it honestly doesn't sound like that is the case.

Good luck!