Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes, let's try to see if we can retrieve check disk log, do this

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Post the log here...................

Also try running SFC again on Desktop right click start button, select  Command Prompt (Admin)  copy paste this          sfc /scannow

Can also do SFC in safe mode too, but considering not sure how PC will do, let's try it here first.

Slow PC can be so many things, let's see how hard drive is.

Edited by jds63, 18 April 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Advertisements

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I can't get Explorer or Google Chrome to work so unable to access this site OR my email to cut and paste for check disk log.  

Currently, running sfc/scannow.  Just wanted you to know.  

I copied the couple of files I had possibly not backed up and tried to get my Quicken most recent data, but not able to open the program.  The launcher isn't working.  Windows tried to find solution but was trying for a long time, so I stopped it and shut everything except command prompt to run the scan.

Also, the white flag NOW has 2 messages--Virus protection and Spyware protection both need updated.  Not sure if I can do it in this state.

I'll just leave it only running the scan and see when happens.

Thank you,

Ali

Edited by Alikhat68, 18 April 2015 - 06:39 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Always welcome !! Check your network for connectivity on that PC in the notification area a red X ?, right click icon, run troubleshoot problems.May be missing network adapter driver or corrupt if not.

O.k. log will stay there regardless.

Without network connectivity ain't going to be able to update them, unless it is telling you that you have no anti-virus.

SFC should not take as long as chkdsk did.

Post back, things looking more like fresh install, yes always backup important stuff regularly.Good idea  you are also doing it now.

Although hoping there is no bad hardware, need to be taken care of before any fresh install.

Edited by jds63, 18 April 2015 - 07:17 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay, what do I need to do do do fresh install...Yes, I have not resolved this nor have I disappeared and since I didn't receive a message that this was closed, I'm hoping you see that I am BACK!!  I assumed that I could do fresh install Like I did originally, but it is not working.  Can you please advise me?

Thank you,

Ali

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Install fails "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation.  Error code: 0x80070057".  

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Welcome back, been almost a month. Trying to review past posts, i do not know if you will come across same errors when you try to reinstall Windows 8.1 again.When a computer is preinstalled with operating system from a manufacturer there are some drivers need to be loaded before the installation of the operating system as these type of drivers will not be on Windows 8.1 disc. Not saying may not work out for you, but this can be a concern.

Trying to get these drivers are usually gotten from in your case, Gateway. Ones i mean are hard drive IDE controller drivers,some other system drivers.

Since this system is older may be hard to get, need more detailed specs from Gateay machine to make sure of this. Let me also check gateway.

Want to try to reinstall, put the disk in the CD ROM Drive and when you boot the PC when you see the Gateway logo is when you repeatedly press F8 or F9, some logo screens tell you which one to get to the Boot Menu (manager)

Then it will say Press any key to boot from CD........ Follow instructions again to reinstall

Was there any recovery partition (factory reset) you knew of on this PC when you originally bought it ? This would bring it back to the state when you bought the PC. Just do not know how you did your last installation, if had recovery partition, you wiped it off the Hard Drive then. In this case if it is wiped off (Recovery), when you try a reinstall choose custom to delete each hard drive, be like a format of drives.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Install fails "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation.  Error code: 0x80070057".  

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2476568

This is for Windows 7, should work with 8.1

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I do have a small recovery partitioned off part of my drive that I did not wipe when I installed Win 8.1  last time.  I just installed 8.1 on the larger partition drive which is reserved as system.  So I will not delete the smaller recovery partition at this time.  I will however, follow the the instructions and delete the larger one and see if I can install 8.1 on it just like I did before.  I saw those instructions but since it was for Win 7 decided to wait and check with you first. 

Thank you!!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

That partition seeing now, sure was not from earlier install of windows 8.1, because it also puts a system reserve partition on the C: drive ?

Saw link i provided on your error then seen reason why.

http://us.gateway.co...ivers-downloads    Gateway support look for your model here, but as i seen no updates since Windows Vista, was not sure system was 32bit or 64bit

See in picture some drivers and software not going to be on Windows 8.1 disc, even though windows can update this software and drivers, some are Intel.

Intel Management engine, Chipset drivers are important to have, then LAN drivers for Network adapter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

No, the partition is the same partition since I got the computer and it is much larger than the one Windows 8.1 just created (5.47G and 8.1 just created one that is 336MB).  I'm trying to install it again right now.  If it requires a driver update, I'd be surprised because it didn't when I did this last time.  I think it's possible that I either had malware or an update to the Windows 8.1 that was not compatible with the driver.  I may have to just try this and see what happens.  Thank you for all your help! I'll let you know what happens this time!

Ali

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

No, the partition is the same partition since I got the computer and it is much larger than the one Windows 8.1 just created (5.47G and 8.1 just created one that is 336MB).  I'm trying to install it again right now.  If it requires a driver update, I'd be surprised because it didn't when I did this last time.  I think it's possible that I either had malware or an update to the Windows 8.1 that was not compatible with the driver.  I may have to just try this and see what happens.  Thank you for all your help! I'll let you know what happens this time!

Ali

Then do not try a custom install of windows 8.1 could be reasons for error. Best to save original partition for now. Post was so long, going back on everything said was a lot to recall and digest again.

Question is, how long did it work well until started having issues with Windows 8.1 ? Still feel may need some drivers chipset and Intel Management engine (windows will update this one) LAN is an Intel software driver, as did have connection errors last time.

YW

Edited by jds63, 12 May 2015 - 05:00 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Okay, now it couldn't update registry so canceled install.  I don't know how to know if a driver needs to be updated and it looks like there may not be an update available.  This is strange because I ran 8.1 for 6 months with no problem.  Suddenly having a driver not be compatible seems strange.  Any suggestions?  Should I perhaps try to download the most recent driver update and load it?  My computer was set up for Vista but maybe the update was after my computer was made.

I didn't see your comment before I typed above.  So what should I do at this point?

Thank you,

Ali

Edited by Alikhat68, 13 May 2015 - 09:21 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Okay, now it couldn't update registry so canceled install.  I don't know how to know if a driver needs to be updated and it looks like there may not be an update available.  This is strange because I ran 8.1 for 6 months with no problem.  Suddenly having a driver not be compatible seems strange.  Any suggestions?  Should I perhaps try to download the most recent driver update and load it?  My computer was set up for Vista but maybe the update was after my computer was made.

I didn't see your comment before I typed above.  So what should I do at this point?

Thank you,

Ali

First off i am not understanding update registry and where you saw this and at what point of the reinstall ?

Understood it worked before.Any hardware added during those 6 months when issues started happening ? Video card, hard drive, sound card.

Chipset driver and Intel Management engine drivers would be my biggest concern to put in, but first need to install windows 8.1. I do not see IDE Controller drivers there, be for Hard drives,etc...

If worked before, something made it stop, yes possible update you did then or something needed an update. Look into it a bit, respond back also, answer question above.

Edited by jds63, 13 May 2015 - 02:50 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I don't know at what point it happened.  I left while it was installing because it takes a very long time.  When I came back there was a message that said installation cancelled and no changes would be saved on my computer.  Couldn't update registry.  It did not have an error code like the other times.  Could be a glitch, so I turned the computer off and restarted the install.  It is 25% through the getting files ready for installation phase.  

I didn't add any hardware after installing 8.1 and only installed software which I did as soon as I loaded 8.1.  It worked from October until I started contacting you...gosh about 6 weeks ago.  As I stated earlier I got a message in the action center that a driver needed updated and that the web cam was incompatible.  I tried to update the driver but ran into an issue.  I can't remember why I didn't update it.  No other problems before that at all except I could tell that I needed to add memory which had always been my plan.  

I saw some different instructions for installing 8.1 on older machines.  I have not tried to change the boot mode or any of those things.  However, I know that I didn't do anything like that the first time.  It installed quite easily.

Thank you,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am not familiar with this kind of error, most likely reasons it took so long to install it was hanging at updating the operating system, usually Windows 8.1 install quickly compared to previous versions of windows.

Trying to wonder how it worked before and not now, telling me using same disc and same methods as before to install it. Even googling it only came up with one post on this type of error.

http://www.tomshardw...ll-windows.html

Can be bad hard drive may need to run a chkdsk, bad sectors or can be Windows XP recovery partition that you saw on the drive during a install. so where is it exactly at, at this point after rebooted and tried again ? Trying to do a custom install ?

Edited by jds63, 13 May 2015 - 05:39 PM.