Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow/Stuttering Performance in Games When There Was No Problem Previou

poor performance stuttering slow low fps games team fortress 2 tf2 fps

• Please log in to reply

evolflower

evolflower

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hi everyone,

I've been having some really difficult to pin-down problems with poor gaming performance on my laptop lately, and I would be very thankful for your help.  I've been having trouble with stuttering/low FPS with a lot of my games, with the most noticeable and worrisome case being with my recent attempts to run Team Fortress 2.  I've been able to play Team Fortress 2 for a few years now, on this same exact laptop, with absolutely zero problems - perfect, smooth gameplay, whether online or offline - and now, after having not played for about a month, I launched the game yesterday to find that my game performance is absolutely awful:  heavy stuttering/low FPS, even offline, and even after fiddling with and lowering in-game video settings.

There are no memorable or significant changes that I've made to the computer, other than periodically installing important Windows updates, and installing and uninstalling new and old games as I've gotten new ones.  Unfortunately, I'm having an issue with disappearing System Restore points as well (which is (hopefully) being addressed in another thread; I was directed to make a new thread regarding my gaming problems), so I haven't been able to revert back to older points - and may not ever be able to do so now, since they've been vanishing.

I've had it suggested to me that memory space might be part of the problem, but I've actually ran the same games (particularly TF2) with even less space in the past, so I don't think that's the problem.  While I know how to uninstall recently added programs and updates and the like, I've had no luck thus far, and I really need help assessing the computer's gaming performance and determining what the problem may be - and then, hopefully, fixing it.  I realize my laptop isn't ideal for heavy duty gaming, but as I mentioned, I've been playing games like Team Fortress 2 for a few years now on the same computer, with no problems until recently.

I'll post my specs below - any help that can be offered will be greatly, greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time and dedication.  This forum has saved my butt with problems in the past, and I'm hoping something can be figured out for this problem as well.

Thanks so much!

Item                Details

Windows:            Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Internet Explorer:  9.11.9600.17843
Memory (RAM):       5611 MB
CPU Info:           AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics
CPU Speed:          1495.8 MHz
Sound Card:         Speakers and Headphones (IDT Hi |
Communications Headphones (IDT  |

Display Adapters:   AMD Radeon HD 6620G | AMD Radeon HD 6620G | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Monitors:           1x; Generic PnP Monitor |
Screen Resolution:  1366 X 768 - 32 bit
Network:            Network Present
Network Adapters:   Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter | Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n | Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
CD / DVD Drives:    1x (E: | ) E: hp      BD CMB UJ141AF
Ports:              COM Ports NOT Present. LPT Port NOT Present.
Mouse:              16 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks:         C:  578.7GB | D:  17.1GB | F:  99.3MB | Q:  0.0MB
Hard Disks - Free:  C:  21.5GB | D:  1.9GB | F:  91.2MB | Q:  0.0MB
USB Controllers:    4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394):    Not Detected
Manufacturer *:     Hewlett-Packard
Product Make *:     HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
AC Power Status:    OnLine
BIOS Info:          |  |
Time Zone:          Eastern Standard Time
Battery Status:     High
Motherboard *:      Hewlett-Packard 358B

Edited by evolflower, 01 July 2015 - 02:10 PM.

Advertisements

what0ever

what0ever

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey! I created an account just to respond to this. I too have ran into the framerate issue just today in TF2 after making no changes to anything on my computer besides updating TF2, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it's because of a change Valve has made in the backend. Now that I see that you also have a Mobility Radeon HD, I'm fairly sure of it. I'm guessing it has to do with some underlying change in how the system draws frames that doesn't jive with our cards though I can't say for sure. This post is the only thing that currently comes up in Google for it today, so it may still be a relatively unknown issue. Hopefully Valve straightens it out though as I have a feeling there's nothing on our end that can be done. For now, I would check out other games and see if they're running any worse for you.

I know this may not be exactly the response you needed, but it might help someone more computer literate pin down the issue.

Edited by what0ever, 01 July 2015 - 07:25 PM.

evolflower

evolflower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hey what0ever,

Thank you for the reply!  I really appreciate it!  I also searched around a bit before making a thread here, as I was sure there had been a significant update of some sort, as the change in performance was, and is, so drastic.

I'm still hoping for help analyzing and determining the performance of my computer here, but in the meantime, if you're on Steam and want to keep in touch there, drop me a line either here or through a private message (if that function is available here!) and we can exchange screen names.

I look forward to hearing from you!

CookiezForDayz

CookiezForDayz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello.

I just started Geeks to go, but I know this  problem.

I also used to have that problem.

It's likely you have too many processes/service's in your background. That ruins your RAM, Which lowers FPS.

Or it's time to get rid of that video card of yours. I own a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. Which there isn't a single PC game in history I can run over 70 FPS. Even when running on lowest graphic settings. So I'm used to playing game's that don't need much of a video card. 

I even get 5 FPS on game's I can run. I downloaded the Razor Cortex Game Booster, but it only boosted by 10 FPS.

But to get to your problem, I don't know too much, but it's likely that, because TF2 is such a large game (I play it. and suck at it :smashcomp: ) Valve probably did something after a update that did that (Not that they update TF2 enough :smashcomp: ) What I did was lower my Aspect Ratio and Resolution to lowest possible and all advanced graphic settings and get 30 FPS.

Not really sure, I would be if I understood Radeon video cards. Because I only know about NVIDIA ones.