Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Crash, Sluggish Performance Afterwards

crash software game slow programs program graphics vlc

Best Answer Solice93 , 29 October 2023 - 05:23 PM

In this video, i will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.I'm using Windows 11 home. I assume that I can use the same thing f... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Solice93

Solice93

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hello whoever helps me,

I was recently watching a DVD on VLC Media Player, and then all the sudden as I was resuming playback, my system froze completely and the display corrupted. I was forced to do a hard reset. When my laptop came back on, the lock screen was different (I have the one that shows different images from Bing or whatever. It reverted back to default). After I logged in, I performed a total, custom scan using Malwarebytes. It came up with nothing. I thought it wasn't a big deal, so I booted up Hardspace: Shipbreakers. It was taking its sweet time to load, but it wasn't completely out of the realm of normal, but then it just never finished loading. It was still loading, but it was at such a snails pace that it might as well be frozen. I tried it a few more times with the same results. I tried to run terminal, but it caught every other few inputs and displayed them at a snails pace. I ran terminal in administrator mode. Apparently whatever is causing the programs to run at a snail's pace doesn't affect cmd.exe when ran as admin. Cool. I ran sfc and it found and repaired a corrupted file. I restarted and still ran into sluggishness. I ran CHKDSK, DISM.exe, and sfc again, and everything came up ok. I should also mention that the programs I have pinned to my taskbar have either lost their paths or been corrupted because they won't launch the program, and windows says it can't find it. If I run a program from the start menu, the first time I run it, windows says that it cannot find the program, and the second time I launch it from the start menu it runs. I have no clue what to make of that. There's something going on with the integrated AMD graphics driver that won't let me update it, but I can still update my dedicated Nvidia card. All my games and the terminal not in admin mode still run sluggishly. I have no idea how chrome is exempt from this issue, but it's how I'm able to type this.

As an aside, sometimes after an update (God forbid) the programs I have pinned to the taskbar, their icons will completely disappear. I will have to try launching the program twice for windows to find it sometimes. This one issue has been going on for a while. Not sure if it's related, but I'm tired of that too.

I have this laptop:

Acer Nitro 5 AN517-42-R85S

AMD Ryzen 7 6800H 3.2GHz Processor
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6
AMD Graphics card???
16GB DDR5-4800 RAM
1TB Solid State Drive
Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Killer Ethernet E2600
2x2 Wireless Wi-Fi 6E
Bluetooth 5.2

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Edited by Solice93, 29 October 2023 - 01:17 AM.

Advertisements

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hi Solice93,

Can you create and test your system on new user account because it sounds like the user account you are using corrupted.

Ignore this response. I managed to make one using cmd. Please see the below response.

Edited by Solice93, 29 October 2023 - 02:24 AM.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hi Solice93,

Can you create and test your system on new user account because it sounds like the user account you are using corrupted.

I made a test account, but when I tried to sign in, it started to go through the normal first time setup and it gave me a Critical Error saying " Your start menu isn't working, We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in", and then it only gives me the option to sign out. And here I am again.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

From Command Prompt that is open with administrative privileges, execute the below command to enable hidden admin account.

Net user administrator /active:yes

Logout and login to enabled Administrator user account and let us know what happens.

Ok, so I did it, and everything appears normal as it should in the admin account, even the Terminal acts normally, but whenever I launch a game even in the admin account, it's still extremely sluggish.

Edited by Solice93, 29 October 2023 - 12:49 PM.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
✓  Best Answer

In this video, i will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

I'm using Windows 11 home. I assume that I can use the same thing for Windows 11?

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

From Command Prompt that is open with administrative privileges, execute the below command to enable hidden admin account.

Logout and login to enabled Administrator user account and let us know what happens.

IT'S FIXED, THANK YOU. Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate your help!

In the future, how can I prevent my User account from becoming corrupted? Also, how do I deactivate the admin account from "Net user administrator /active:yes"?

Edited by Solice93, 29 October 2023 - 07:00 PM.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

IT'S FIXED, THANK YOU. Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate your help!

In the future, how can I prevent my User account from becoming corrupted?

Making sure you have image backup of Windows 11 installation will help you if anything like this happens.

Execute Net user administrator /active:no

Thank you very much for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated.