Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion dv4 Windows 7 running really slow

Windows 7 HP Pavilion dv4 Chrome

• Please log in to reply

ekhilliard

ekhilliard

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a less than 3 year old HP Pavilion dv4 laptop that is running really slow.  Websites take a long time to load, and sometimes navigating the websites is difficult because a link will not show up, or when I try to hover my cursor over it, there's no little hand icon to click on it.  I'm using Google Chrome as my browser.   So far I've tried doing a full scan on Windows Essentials, a scan using Malware Bytes Malware Removal (I bought the Premium), disk cleanup,  and Windows Fixit.  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh, and it isn't remembering passwords after I update one.  

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try this:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

ekhilliard

ekhilliard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank  you, Ztruker.   It seemed like it picked up speed at the beginning, but then when I scrolled down the page on FB, it got hung up again and the wonderful spinning wheel returned.  Any other ideas?  

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try uninstalling Adobe flash then download and install the latest version.

If that doesn't help uninstall Chrome and try a different browser, like IE, Firefox, Palemoon, etc.

ekhilliard

ekhilliard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks again Ztruker.  Uninstalling and trying to reinstall Chrome landed up being a 2 hour project, but I finally got it done.  It seems like things are going better.  Interesting to see that a lot of  people have had problems reinstalling Chrome like I did.  I kept getting an error message saying "the application can not start...."  Many people in the forum said they were ditching Chrome.  I've got too many websites bookmarked and have gotten too comfortable with it to switch at this time, but would be interested in hearing which browser you like.  This has been a major cluster ---- which has consumed hours and hours of my time, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks again for helping me find a solution.