Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen and desktop has gone blue? (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

You are welcome   Can you let us know if you consider your question as answered please so that the thread can be marked accordingly  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The computer running ok at the moment suggests that your cleaning has alleviated an overheating problem.

Is that the original HWMonitor screenshot or a new one?

It shows an overheating CPU and low voltage for the RAM, VIN0 and VIN1 should ideally be reading around 1.8V.

Advertisements

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

A new reading on the screenshot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If everything is still running ok you could take a chance on continuing to use the Bestec PSU but myself personally I would swap in a known good brand asap.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

OK. Thanks.  Any ideas of what PSU is compatible with my ASUS motherboard?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You mention that the present PSU is a Bestec ATX-300-122, is it possible that it could be Bestec ATX-300-12Z like the one here

Your MB has a 24 pin and a 4 pin ATX power supply for the CPU which is not a problem as most modern PSUs have connectors such as the 20+4 and 4+4 type which can be joined or separated to suit, the one thing that we do need you to check is to see if your case will accommodate a PSU that has an on/off switch, cheap brands like Bestec often do not and some older cases do not have an opening for the switch.

Your MB specs here

The least expensive, good quality PSU that I could find here

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Yes, that looks like my Bestec PSU.

Thanks. No doubt the overheating did not help my motherboard and PC performance..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

All of your hardware could have been damaged by the overheating be it caused by poor case cooling/dust build up, a dodgy PSU or a combination of both.

I would recommend that anyone that ever purchases a computer with such a poor brand of PSU such as Bestec replace it asap, these types of PSU are used by most OEM computer providers in order to keep costs down, people using a computer for nothing more than school or office type work may not notice a problem but if you play games or watch videos ect the load on the PSU and other hardware increases and so does the heat.

Before replacing the present PSU I would suggest that you get it tested if only to satisfy for yourself that it needs to be replaced.

NB: Don`t forget; 

the one thing that we do need you to check is to see if your case will accommodate a PSU that has an on/off switch, cheap brands like Bestec often do not and some older cases do not have an opening for the switch.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Where are you up to with this dan7brit?

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Just looking up reasonable priced PSU's -Corsair is a name that comes up often.  Will wait until after Christmas then check that the case space will take an on-off switch, and then upgrade.  

Edited by dan7brit, 23 December 2015 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Before replacing the present PSU I would suggest that you get it tested if only to satisfy for yourself that it needs to be replaced.

Antec, Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic are my preference and I have no problem recommending any of them to others, Bronze rated as a minimum is a must btw.

The Seasonic at the link that I included in my reply #21 is what I recommend in this instance, one of if not the best brand of PSUs, has more than adequate power output/connections and is also the best price, two alternatives are Corsair 500W Builder Series CX 80+ Bronze or EVGA 500B 500W Power Supply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Have you made any progress with the upgrade dan7brit.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Hi, been a bit mad with life and work at eth moment so have had very little time to do much. Will get a chance at the weekend. I will let you know more then. Thanks for asking 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Your CPU is frying as the temp should not exceed 65°C, this can cause the type of problem that you are having and in turn a flaky PSU could be putting out too higher voltage.

Agreed maybe it is the problem, but also maybe when over time the paste starts to wear off making it hotter than usual. Arctic Silver compound is the best paste around that would keep it cool. Make sure your computer is clean with good air intake. Also yes a better PSU might be worth the go as OEM PSU's are made very badly. How long has this computer been owned for?

Edited by EmishOrc, 30 January 2016 - 07:39 AM.