Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd burner not recognizing blank disk

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

nashnut

nashnut

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Dell Inspiron 3647 with windows 10.  I have both  internal and external dvd burners which will not recognize any blank dvd disc.  How can I get these to work?  Thanks.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi nashnut,

Do the burners recognise any DVD.... ie commercial music ones for example?

Regards

paws

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Checked internal burner.

reads music

reads photo dvd

reads slideshow dvd

tried burning from installed program... crashed 4 minutes later ... could hear it trying to burn

tried to burn from file manager... crashed

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

OK, it looks like the internal optical drive (DVD drive) can read OK but has difficulty writing to DVD.

Next step is to try and copy a few files( it doesn't matter what they are photos documents etc) to a recordable CD

Does this work using File explorer?

Also take a look here:

http://superuser.com...e-in-windows-10

Does this help?

Regards

paws

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I tried burning with an installed program as well as thru the file manager without success.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok all understood,

Can your repeat, please with the external DVD drive and let us know if this one can copy files to CD.

Regards

paws

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

The external burned up to a certain point and then quit saying "unsuccessful"  I took the disk and found the items were there but not in order.  The drive also jammed, froze and kept burning but nothing happened.  Same as the other drive.  I've also tried different programs.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Ok, can you try the external drive on a known working computer and see if it can burn Ok there...

(What I am trying to establish here is if its the computer software that is at fault or the actual drive hardware that is likely causing the problem.)

Regards

paws

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Not able to check that. However, I have gotten a pop up asking if I want to burn the disk as I would a USB stick or for playing on a DVD. If I select a USB stick, the system will reformat a formated disk and then burn (external) the information to the disk. I can then remove the disk and put it in the internal drive and COPY another file to the disk. It is slow. I am able to read all the information on the disk (internal). If I try to burn the disk for use on a DVD player all the problems happen and I can hear the drive trying to burn the disk but being unsuccessful. I then have to use the task mgr to turn off the program and actually reboot the system to stop the burner from trying to burn.

Edited by nashnut, 18 December 2015 - 10:17 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
It sounds like your internal optical drive is working Ok when you use it in a similar way to a USB memory stick.

The problems seems to occur, now when you are burning to put into a DVD Player..... is that correct?

If so then can you find a setting that refers to "finalising" the disc, as this is generally what is required for the "play on a DVD type player" option?

Regards
paws

Advertisements

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I get a verify when burning.  I am now getting a notice that windows is not recognizing the burner.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi nashnut,

In a previous post you said this:

"...he system will reformat a formated disk and then burn (external) the information to the disk. I can then remove the disk and put it in the internal drive and COPY another file to the disk. It is slow. I am able to read all the information on the disk (internal)..."

Is this correct?

please supply screen dumps of the error messages you are getting as this will help us understand what is going on with your computer.

Regards

paws

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Also, have you checked to see if there are new drivers for either one or both of these devices?

There have been a lot of problems related to drivers incompatible, or semi-incompatible, with Windows 10 and if you check manufacturer's websites for your computer and/or external drive hardware you may very well find very recently updated drivers for both devices. It's certainly worth a look.

nashnut

nashnut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

All of that was done before contacting this forum.  All indications on the system say the dvd burner is working properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (2372).png

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi nashnut,

you do not seem to be answering the questions that we ask..... if you need assistance then its important you supply full information.....

remember we may be thousands of miles away from your machine but you can be right in front of it..... we need your eyes and ears and for you to tell us exactly what is going on.... 

"...he system will reformat a formated disk and then burn (external) the information to the disk. I can then remove the disk and put it in the internal drive and COPY another file to the disk. It is slow. I am able to read all the information on the disk (internal)..."

Is this correct?

as your latest post seems to contradict it?

Regards

paws