Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 stuck on "Starting Windows" screen

Freeze Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

evilduks

evilduks

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My laptop's screen went black one day while I was using it and it became unresponsive, so I performed a hard shutdown. When I restarted it, it froze on the "Starting Windows" screen and the animated Windows icon froze. I waited ~10 minutes and when it had not changed, I hard shutdown again. I booted to safe mode and ran sfc/scannow and a clean boot. Both froze at the same place on startup and required hard shutdowns. I am really don't want to have to clean install my os.

Advertisements

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

What did the log file of the sfc scan say?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   evilduks,

Let us know if there is data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up, this in case the cause is a flaky HDD.

Can you include the brand and model name or number of the notebook in your next reply.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

What did the log file of the sfc scan say?

Log file? All it says is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

There is data that I want to keep, but I have an external hard drive in case it comes to that. It is a Pavilion dv6-qte.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Can you clarify something for us;

I hard shutdown again. I booted to safe mode and ran sfc/scannow and a clean boot. Both froze at the same place on startup and required hard shutdowns

Meaning that you cannot boot into Windows.

Log file? All it says is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Where did you get this message if you are unable to boot into Windows.

Do you have a Windows 7 or system restore disk, one may be needed to try a repair installation of the OS, after trying to back up your data first though.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I cannot boot into Windows, it freezes at the Starting Windows screen. Eventually it will become a blank screen, I do not know how long until it does that. I had left it overnight to see if it needed time. Despite being unable to boot Windows, I can boot into Safe Mode and Safe Mode with networking and things work as I expect. HP has a partition on the hard drive that has all of the files that would be on a recovery disk, so I could clean install from there if needed. I could also make one from my parents' computer if needed.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I ran sfc/scannow from Safe Mode

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The following is confusing and why I needed to ask;

I booted to safe mode and ran sfc/scannow and a clean boot. Both froze at the same place on startup and required hard shutdowns

As you can actually boot into Windows in Safe Mode it would normally suggest a driver issue, can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking as well, scratch that question, just noticed that you can,

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for a reply from us, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

Edit to add;

Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, type msconfig and press Enter, make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.

Reboot and see if it runs better.

If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.

Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Enable everything else you disabled.  

Edited by phillpower2, 10 January 2016 - 02:35 PM.
As per the above.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So hit Disable All under the Startup tab?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yep  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I shut down to get to safe mode with command prompt but missed the key press to get there. This time, instead of freezing at starting windows, the screen went blank. I have a small spot on the screen that always is a blue-green even when displaying black that is not appearing, so I think the display turned off. It did this again after disabling all at the msconfig startup tab.

I just rebooted after hitting disable all after hiding Microsoft services and it did the same. It got to the Starting Windows screen, showed the glow animation for ~30 seconds, then the screen went blank like it had turned off.

Edited by evilduks, 10 January 2016 - 04:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

When the screen goes black, have you tried pressing the F4 key in case the notebook has been toggled to external screen mode, if yes but no change, try restoring the default factory settings in the BIOS, see below copy/paste from HP;

To return all settings in Setup Utility (BIOS) to the values that were set at the factory, follow these
steps:
1. Turn on or restart the computer, and then press esc while the “Press the ESC key for Startup
Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
2. Press f10 to enter Setup Utility (BIOS).
Using Setup Utility (BIOS) 85
3. Use the arrow keys to select Exit > Load Setup Defaults.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.
5. To save your changes and exit, press f10, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
– or –
Use the arrow keys to select Exit > Exit Saving Changes, and then press enter.
Your changes go into effect when the computer restarts.
NOTE: Your password settings and security settings are not changed when you restore the factory settings.
Exiting Setup Utility (BIOS)
● To exit Setup Utility (BIOS) and save your changes from the current session:
If the Setup Utility (BIOS) menus are not visible, press esc to return to the menu display. Then
use the arrow keys to select Exit > Exit Saving Changes, and then press enter.

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I had tried to toggle away from an external monitor and even hooked one up to see it that was it. I just loaded the BIOS Setup Defaults and it froze on the Starting Windows screen, like before. I did notice a faint pop (like a speaker being plugged in to a live audio jack) through a pair of headphones connected to the laptop just before it froze.

Since it doesn't have audio output in Safe Mode and had that pop before it froze, could it have something to do with an audio driver?

Edited by evilduks, 11 January 2016 - 11:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I had tried to toggle away from an external monitor and even hooked one up to see it that was it. I just loaded the BIOS Setup Defaults and it froze on the Starting Windows screen, like before. I did notice a faint pop (like a speaker being plugged in to a live audio jack) through a pair of headphones connected to the laptop just before it froze.

Acknowledged.

Since it doesn't have audio output in Safe Mode and had that pop before it froze, could it have something to do with an audio driver? 

Unlikely but not impossible either, I say this because HD audio drivers are sometimes a part of HD video drivers, this more often involving add on video cards in desktops.

As the computer will run ok in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking it may suggest that there is an issue with a HP driver, the two that I would suspect are the chipset and the graphics drivers, if possible I would download and save these to a pen drive, boot into Safe Mode only, uninstall the present chipset driver, restart in Safe Mode only, install the chipset drivers that you saved, restart and test, if still no joy, repeat the exact same procedure to install the video drivers that you also saved to the pen drive, if still no success, time to back up your data and try a repair install of Windows, we will come back to this though if needs be.

I couldnt find the drivers specific to your computer, HP said Sorry, "too many results match your search for "HP Pavilion DV6 QTE"

We were unable to determine your specific product. Try one of the following options:" see here

evilduks

evilduks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
http://support.hp.co...9/model/5111981

This is the page of drivers for my model laptop.
After downloading the chipset and graphics drivers to a flash drive, I opened the device manager and am confused as to what drivers to remove.
Under "IDE ATA/ATARI controllers", there is Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.
Under "System devices", there are Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1-4, Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBUS controller, and Intel HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller.

I apologize if I'm being difficult, but once we got to dealing directly with drivers, it's been beyond my experience and I don't want to screw it up.