Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update won't install (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I tried to turn off mccafee by clicking “features\real-time scanning” but nothing happens.  I then checked mccafee’s firewall and it’s off.  I also tried to run a system scan and nothing happens.  Basically, it’s just there.  So, assuming that mccafee is disabled, I enabled windows defender and it scanned my pc and it’s protecting it.  I also checked windows firewall an it shows “on”.  I checked windows update and the cummulative update is there.  Should I go ahead with restarting my system and see if it the update installs?  I don't want to mess things up......

Thank You

Edited by rigs, 01 March 2016 - 11:26 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update and checking back first  :thumbsup:

Yes try installing the cumulative updates please.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, can I restart and try to install tonight?......right now, I'm at my parents house....

I'll be crossing my fingers...

thank you

Edited by rigs, 01 March 2016 - 01:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem, as and when you are able to  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I restarted my pc and once again the blue screen stayed at 0% and restarted.  well, it looks like it didn't work.  I may have a problem.  after the restart,  windows defender is active but not windows firewall.  however, the mccafee firewall is enabled.  so, I guess I can go ahead and enable mccafee AV.  is there something else to try?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
 well, it looks like it didn't work. 

Have you checked whether or not the cumulative update installed.

Can you do the following for us so that we can check what build version of Windows 10 you have;

Type Winver in the Search field that is next to the Start button, press Enter, you should get a box pop up like the one that I have attached below, if yes grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I checked “installed updates” and the cumulative update (KB3135173) is not there.  I then went to settings\recovery\update history and it said that it failed to install.  It lists another windows update (KB3139907) that installed successfully and another cumulative update (KB3140743) that’s waiting to installed.  should I try to install this latest cumulative update?  I'm only having problems with the cumulative updates.

Heres the jpg

Thank You

Image 1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Same build as me albeit yours is the Home version, I was lucky and had no problems with the same update, thousands more have though  :(

Yes, try this latest cumulative update and let us know if it installs ok, if it does that will be good as it contains all earlier fixes, will post more once we have your next update.

Please use the edit tab to remove the attachment in your reply #37 as it includes your email address.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

well, I tried and same results.  I've read online that alot of people are having the same problem and are giving up until microsoft comes up with a fix.  I'm almost to that point.  can I go ahead and enable my mccafee AV and the rest of my start ups?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Leave McAfee disabled for now and try the following for us please;

Download the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package. - run it and select the problem update, restart the computer, if no joy run the tool again once or twice and see if that does the job.

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I ran the tool and found the cumulative update in the "hide updates" section.  do I still select and restart?

thank you

Killaa

Killaa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Try installing it manually...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

ok, I ran the tool and found the cumulative update in the "hide updates" section.  do I still select and restart?

thank you

Yes  :thumbsup:

Try installing it manually...

Was suggested back in reply #2 but unfortunately the update will still not install.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I tried to install the update with mccafee disabled, three times, but no success.  I got frustrated and decided to remove mccafee completely and start running windows defender and firewall.  I was hoping that it could work but I tried it three times but it also did not work.  So, I guess mccafee was not the problem.  While running a fullscan in defender, I found a windows update diagnostic and fix tool in microsoft.com.  I ran it to see if it would fix my problem but instead I got a “service registration is missing or corrupt” and not fixed result.  So,  now I’m wondering if its my windows 10 that has been the culprit all along and why the windows repair tool didn’t fix it……..

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Run SFC three times from Command Prompt and let us know if any integrity violations are reported;

Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, then select Command Prompt (Admin).

Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between “sfc” and “/”).