Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update won't install (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 21 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I ran the scan and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

do you want me to post the log? it's a big one......

thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yes, post the log for us please.

Some info that you need to be aware of, as SFC has found errors that cannot be automatically repaired a repair installation or a fresh install of Windows 10 will be required, for either you will need Windows 10 media, this was not a problem at one time if you did not actually have an installation disk or USB recovery media etc as you could download an ISO and use that, problem now though is that the only place that you can download a legitimate ISO from is Microsoft and they are not responsible for supporting OEM computers such as yours the manufacturer is which in this case is Dell, what this means is that you would need to purchase Windows 10 recovery media from Dell or purchase your own disk and product key from elsewhere. If you were to try downloading an ISO from Microsoft as part of the procedure you would be asked to enter your product key, Microsoft would then give you an on screen message informing you that you need to contact your system builder for recovery media as Microsoft are not liable for support.

A way around the above if you still have a Windows 8/8.1 recovery partition on the HDD would be to use that, upgrade to Windows 10 again and then create your own recovery media or back up image of the HDD, you would need to back up all important data off the HDD before using any recovery partition.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

about the win10 installation, I do have dell win10 recovery usb drive.  after my win10 thirty days trial expired, dell upgraded its recovery drive to win10.  I then created the usb recovery usb.  what about the win10 "reset" or is it the same?.......

I've been trying to post the log but for some reason it's not letting me.  I'll keep trying.  I also tried to attach it but it said that the file was too big.....

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That is good news that you have the recovery media  :thumbsup:

You could try a refresh but I doubt that it will resolve the issue because it will still be the same OS installed, still all options are worth trying, just be sure to back up any important data first, just in case.

RE the CBS log, forgot to mention that the log may be quite large, upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post the download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

here's the link to the log.  I used OneDrive.  I didn't want to sign up for another service.  oh yeah, this is my first time using onedrive.  I hope I did correctly.......

https://onedrive.liv...ithint=file,txt

I will try the reset windows this weekend. 

thank you

Edited by rigs, 09 March 2016 - 03:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No rush on our behalf, when you are ready  :thumbsup:

As said earlier I doubt that a reset will resolve this, what I would suggest you do first is print off and then follow the steps in the Resolution paragraph here this will download any missing or corrupt files in the registry. 

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, I will do it asap.  did you get the log file?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies, should have mentioned your CBS log, yes and after reviewing it suggested the DISM/System Update Readiness tool, the present installation cannot be repaired by running SFC as there are multiple [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] errors.

Can I just check that you are named as Administrator in the Local Account settings, you can check this in the Action Centre, let us know if you are not sure how to do this.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

yes, I am and there are no other users in my pc.  should still ran the dism as you suggested reply #51?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yes run the DISM/System Update Readiness tool please.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Ok, I ran the DISM tool and after it was done.  I got an error message.

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

So, after this I did not know if I should of run the sfc /scannow command.  So, I didn’t.  

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That error message is pretty self explanatory and unfortunately means that you only have the two options left other than a fresh installation of Windows, 1: the least favorable option a reset and 2: a repair install by way of an in place upgrade using the back up that you created on USB, see tutorial courtesy of Brink and video courtesy of Steve (essenbe) here

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Well, I was afraid you were going to tell me that and thanks for the installation link. I’m surprised of how easy the repair install is.  However, I have questions before starting.

-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it a must?

-in the video, it says the repair installation must not be done at boot in and only within Win10.  when I checked with dell.com, it instructs to do it at boot in.  so, how do I do it?

-is windows defender a 3rd party antivirus?

-will I be able to keep my files?

I had other questions but forgot them.  Right now, I’m waiting for a USB flash that I order to back up all my files (movies, programs..etc), just in case.  As  soon as I get this done.  I will run the repair installation…..

Thank You

-

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer
-in the link page you provided, it states that Secure Boot should be temporarily disabled.  This was not mentioned or emphasized in the instructional video. So, does that apply to me and is it a must?

Yes you must disable secure boot else the computer will not boot from your USB device, please see my canned text below for "how to"

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example. 

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.
Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

-in the video, it says the repair installation must not be done at boot in and only within Win10.  when I checked with dell.com, it instructs to do it at boot in.  so, how do I do it?

As you are using a USB device supplied direct to you by Dell you should follow their steps to the letter.

-is windows defender a 3rd party antivirus?

No, from Windows 8 onward`s the version of Defender that is an integral part of the OS itself offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, that is why there is no need to install any other AV and by not doing so you are removing any potential conflicts that can often occur when using a third party AV.

-will I be able to keep my files?

The tutorial that I post the link to shows you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

Right now, I’m waiting for a USB flash that I order to back up all my files (movies, programs..etc),

Good idea, as you are backing up all important data you may wish to consider trying a refresh of the present OS first, see below;

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

You are welcome  :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I should try doing a system refresh/reset before a repair install.  Right?. I saw the link that you provided and I have a question.  According to the images and the instructions, after the windows reset is all done and win10 restarts.  It shows that I need enter a login password.  I have my system set up to not require a logon password to enter my win10.  Am I still gonna need to enter a password after resetting win10?  There’s also a warning but I think this does not apply to me. Right? I’m still waiting on my usb drive.  Hopefully it’ll be here at the beginning of next week.

Thank You