Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's BACK! (Resolved)

Best Answer redsox1 , 11 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

They called.... hard drive. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

10 is very good and all testing was done before the final release went on sale to the general public and system builders.

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I do hear a faint pop when it goes.

10 is very good and all testing was done before the final release went on sale to the general public and system builders.

Not too sure phillpower there is still problems going on in 14xxx and the Wifi issues keep coming back. Ever since I gone back to Windows 7 not one problem, but as soon as I go back it happens again.

Anyway he said there was a faint pop? Did something blow or something, have you smelt a weird substance? Most laptops don't have caps in them these days so where is this faint pop coming from?

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Sounds like it's in the back. No smell.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Aye was mindful of the following post in reply #8 EmishOrc

I do hear a faint pop when it goes.

and suspected the sound was either from 1: the onboard speaker/s 2: the AC adaptor 3: a battery cell or 4: the noise being the equivalent of what is sometimes heard when a hard or sudden shut down has occurred on a notebook, #1 if the notebook sound still works ok it apparently rules that out, #2 and #3 we have tried investigating but can only do so to a point and #4 you would expect to hear the same noise every time a hard shut down of the notebook occurred, as redsox1 has not mentioned hearing the same noise again and the AC adaptor is still working I put it down to a cell in the battery popping.

Upgrade to Windows 10 redsox1, give it a try for a week or two and if you don`t like it revert back to your present OS, you must revert back within a month though else it will be final, upgrade tutorial provided courtesy of Brink here and reverting back steps from Microsoft here

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Upgrade to Windows 10 redsox1, give it a try for a week or two and if you don`t like it revert back to your present OS, you must revert back within a month though else it will be final, upgrade tutorial provided courtesy of Brink here and reverting back steps from Microsoft here

Aye it's good to give it a try for a few weeks, but make sure to back up your data before you head to Windows 10 as you might run into possible problems.

Edited by EmishOrc, 31 January 2016 - 05:00 PM.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Tried to turn it on this morning. It started to start a couple times, now I can't get the power light to come on at al. tried removing everything, and nothing works. it's all out now, has been for about an hour. My wife has a HP Probook 4420s, can I try her battery in mine? I'm on hers now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not good news  :(

The batteries may be the same voltage but not the same size and so will not fit.

Does the Probook 4420s AC adaptor look the same as yours, if yes, remove your battery and see if it will power up the notebook.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Tried wife's power...no good. Any suggestions?

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Battery might have died or something must had blown

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
If the battery died. Why won't it start with adapter

Advertisements

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Got it on but it said boot device not found. Running system test. Processor passed. Hard drive passed. Wireless mod passed. Sys board passed. Battery check-calibration required. Memory passed. Now what?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If the HDD passed the diagnostics it points towards a problem with either the boot sequence or Windows when you get a "boot device not found" message.

Make sure that the battery is showing a 100% charge, restart the notebook while repeatedly tapping the Esc key, in the Start Menu select F9, make sure that the HDD is enabled and set as the first or second boot device, please note that only the DVD drive or a USB device should be listed as a boot device that is before the HDD and Network booting should never be enabled unless a computer has previously been set up to do so.

Regarding calibrating the battery, HP guide here 

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Sorry on. Phone. After restarting last night I. Got windows. Actually got online. Put old dead battery used wife's adapter and it started. So I put my "good" battery back in and usedy power adapter. Was OK last night but no go this morning. This is in a room that is not enviromently controlled. Been real humid
Going to check in awhile. Got it out in the air.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Cant really say much until we know that you have the right battery in and with a full charge in it, we will be going around in circles otherwise, will wait on your next update.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Bought the battery about 8 or 9 months ago on eBay.