Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Dial-up; used to be fast

• Please log in to reply

bonezz777

bonezz777

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello All, I'm having problems with my computer, I have already been helped by the Very Kind folks over at, Virus & malware forum, and they Are Done with Their part, and Told me to start a New Topic,& so I tried, But I guess I put it in the Wrong spot ??, in the technical section; A short story, I had in my home town, a shop with very smart tech's, because even though I'm on Dialup, they had my old computer zipping crazy quick for dialup, A Sad end to this story, One I had windows xp, and 2nd, My friends went out of business, & all the Other shops give me the ol run around, It's because Your on Dial up; 1st I know better, if my old shop can make a 15 year old xp, Very fast (for dial up), Then this New Replacement Computer SHOULD Really Zip; I could click on Any site/link, and under 3 seconds the picture, web page/link was completely loaded; Now downloading  you tube "help videos" for example WAS Painfully SLOW; But I'm a old man, & on disability and my wife & I just do very basic stuff like, going to Social Security Administration, email, & stuff that helps us in every day life, "how to cook this/that"....So What's Going On??, Our email from PCH publishers clearing house, when I click on the "click here" tab Nothing happens, Until  I hit  "problem seeing this email", Then it works; When I go to any site "Geeks To Go" or any I get "page cannot be found" & have to hit F5 at least 5 time then it loads, but looks all out of wack, kind of half, bunch of (X X's) & lines, but f5 a few more times and I can see the page; It is Very slow in everything; I saved forever (fixed income) to buy this New computer it came with lots of Ram (a word I learned not too long ago) I mean my wife & I still only play Nintendo and bejeweled  that is our limit of ??, it came with windows 7 & windows 8, we've been running 7,since we got it...Our old XP ran at 49 KBsec, this one 3 to 5 kb sec....CAN Somebody Help us, & walk us slowly through How to fix Settings or Whatever ales it ?, Sorry it's so Long winded but I had to DEFEND my Dialup, I've had zippy dialup, been with same ISP since 2008....HERE are my Computer Specs:::SNAG-16032908313400.png Thank You For Your Time & This Site. :yes:

Edit: Split of from a different thread - Z

EDIT by paws: link to topic in Virus and spyware removal forum
http://www.geekstogo...n/#entry2554307

Edited by bonezz777, 30 March 2016 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

bonezz777

bonezz777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
what does this mean ?? Edit: Split of from a different thread - Z

EDIT by paws: link to topic in Virus and spyware removal forum
http://www.geekstogo...n/#entry2554307

Edited by bonezz777, 30 March 2016 - 04:39 AM.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi bonezz777,

I edited your post to show the link to your own specific topic over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum so that the log files could be examined by a potential responder to help them see what was going on with your machine ( The link you provided in your opening post was to the Virus and Spyware removal forum in general and not to your own particular topic within it)

I hope this clarifies my edit.

The Edit  "split off from a different thread -Z." was made by an experienced and trusted technician called Ztruker, who renders valuable and informative technical assistance and guidance to folks on the forums and it seems likely that your post may have been posted into an existing thread and he probably moved it here where it would receive more attention from a wider audience.

I hope that this clarifies his edit

I would have liked to offer some suggestions that might have helped with the issues you are experiencing, but at the moment I am still trying to figure out how you managed to get an old Win XP computer using a dialup internet connection to open practically any website as you say in about 3 seconds... and as to it being able to watch you tube videos on it............ I am in awe...

Here's hoping that someone somewhere will be able to offer you some good suggestions.

I appreciate that your computer is a desktop model, but Is there any chance that you can take your computer to a location where you can access a fast broadband connection by plugging  into an etherport port on a router and see if this type of connection improves the performance dramatically.... if you can do that, perhaps at a chums house? it would be diagnostically quite significant.

Regards
paws

bonezz777

bonezz777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hello Paws, Thank You for clarifying that, I get confused easily; As for my old xp, I could watch a 4 minute video but it would take about a hour to down load, and that was with download accelerator, once downloaded,it would play nicely; As far as just surfing the net, it was quite zippy; Now as far as knowing any chums/friends, well my Wife & I are very antisocial, we are hermits, I guess now that we're older and not too good of health, we live 30 minutes from any town. So I guess we will limp along with f5 being my new old chum....Smile... Thanks to all You fine folks & this site for helping people who really cant take it to a shop...Tim