Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modern equivalent Acer 1810 TZ

new laptop new computer advice

• Please log in to reply

jamesnorman1

jamesnorman1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Dear all,

Hi there - my name is James and I'm looking to buy a replacement for my Acer 1810 TZ laptop which died after 5 long years of excellent service.  It did what I needed: MS office (mostly word and powerpoint), surfed the internet, and watched videos.  Whenever it went slow I knew it'd get there in the end and, when I cancelled things, they'd get cancelled (eventually) rather than crashing/freezing.  I was using Windows 7 and Avast antivirus (which was free for the most part) + MS Office 2010.

I bought an HP Pavilion AMD 8Gb RAM with McAfee, MS Office 2015 (I think) and Windows 8 which was updated (for free) to Windows 10.  The HP loads up Windows quickly but takes an age to load up programs, it is forever freezing/crashing, it has deleted work by crashing, file transfers take forever (particularly between 2 different USB devices), the internet cuts in/out with a variety of passive/aggressive error messages, and the McAfee continually tells me its switching itself on/off and seems to be fighting with Microsoft's own antivirus software.

Inexplicably I am looking to replace this laptop.  Please can you suggest what the modern equivalent to the 1810 might be?  By which I mean: value for money (which the 1810 was emphatically), reliability and ease of use.  I don't mind a larger/heavier computer.  In fact, I don't need a laptop - I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor and a desk top would be fine for my purposes, although it's nice to have a laptop for the few times I move it out of my home office.  Also - what are people doing for antivirus these days?  Is Windows' own antivirus adequate or should we be using a named brand as well?  And, if so, how do you stop them and windows fighting each other!?

Thanks,

James

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   jamesnorman1,

The Acer 1810 TZ has only basic spec and so not hard to surpass, by how much depends on what the main use of the computer will be and your budget, I would be more inclined to sort out the problems with the replacement HP notebook, let us know if you would still like help with either of these.