Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer taking longer than usual to boot into Windows

UEFI BIOS Settings

• Please log in to reply

jaco1

jaco1

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Hi,

I understand that when you turn on your PC a screen quickly shows giving you options to enter into the UEFI/BOIS settings. However on my PC  instead of displaying for only a couple of seconds it's now showing for about 30  plus seconds before finally booting into Windows 10. 

Additionally I keep getting a pop-up saying that the USB I recently tried connecting malfunctioned and this message always re-appear when I close it. 

This all happened after I was testing out some offline anti-malware scanners and so booting into live discs. Also prior to this happening I went into safe boot to perform an ant-malware scan. 

My concern is here that this is a custom build PC and I am wondering if the problem may be that there is some hardware failing somewhere or I have too much of something for my system to handle. 

I am grateful for any help with this issue. 

Thanks, 

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi jaco1, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with your computer.

here are some thoughts for your consideration.

1 If your computer runs a live CD/DVD (that is to say running in RAM,) reliably and consistently and with no errors then its indicative that the majority of your hardware is OK, however it does not necessarily test your hard drive so it would be wise to carry out the manufacturers test/repair routine to try and rule out (as far as possible) a hard drive problem. Test applications are available from here:

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

2 Any hard drive testing/repair utility... even chkdsk /r will stress to a certain extent the hard drive and if it's "flaky" could send it over the edge into immediate failure, so make sure that your back ups have all worked OK, that they are comprehensive, reproducible, contain everything you need including several disc images and with copies kept safe on removable media with some offsite. Make sure you have a method of booting your computer to access your disc images in the event that at some time in the future Windows may not load...... be especially careful if you are booting using a SSD as these do not take kindly to some tools commonly used on "spinners"

3 It's possible that your have damaged or corrupted registry files and this could be causing some of the problems ( could be lots of other things as well!... :yes:  however a quick and easy procedure to follow would be to perform a System Restore to set back in time your computer to its settings that existed before the problems started. More information from here:

http://www.tenforums...ndows-10-a.html

Try a system restore point and let us know how you got on, but remember to use one you created well before the problems started.

Regards

paws

jaco1

jaco1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thank you paws for the information. The USB problem is already solved; I had a mic with a USB not plugged into one of the ports properly :lol:

As for the other issues I will you follow your advice and let you know how things go. :)