Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Graphics Card, Nvidia Drivers & Dota 2 (Resolved).

dota 2 nvidia driver dota2

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Debug session time: Sun Apr 24 00:16:00.085 2016 (UTC - 4:00) System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:27.921 ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analys... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Toombs

Toombs

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

So I've been having a problem while playing Dota2 after my recent updates with windows and my display driver. It occurs during the game sometimes at the beginning or 1-10 mins in the game then it goes out of the game and goes into windows. During this you cant go back into the game but the game still continues (background sounds and everything) then it freezes (Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 3XX.XX stopped responding and has successfully recovered.). I've tried many older drivers but nothing seem to work (353.30, 355.82, 362.00, 364.51 and the latest 364.72) and I always use Display Driver Uninstaller for each driver installs. So if its not the driver then it could be my gfx card so I ran unigine valley and nothing went wrong... so now I'm here lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218)
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
G.Skill PI Series F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI (6x2GB)
ASUS Sabertooth X58
MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB OC
Corsair AX850

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Toombs,

Do you have the same problem with any other game/s.

Have you tried a system restore point that is before the issue first became apparent.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thanks for the reply phill. I tried to restore (windows critical update) but it wasnt successful even disabled my anti virus and still no luck. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Do you have the same problem with any other game/s.

Need to know this in case it is game specific.

You are welcome btw  :)

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I only have Dota 2 installed but I do have a few games on steam ready to be installed. Will get back to you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup:

Reason I asked was because I was aware that Dota 2 was a Steam game and therefore it could be an issue with Steam, the Internet service or your anti virus protection, anyhows let us know how any other game goes and if the same problem exists also let us know what AV protection you are running please.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

tried a non steam game, cd installed crysis and it did the same thing. its weird the unigine didnt trigger the problem but these games did. im using kaspersky total security v16.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not Steam, Internet or AV related then and does not appear to be Windows related.

Unigine is very good and what I normally recommend but please try the alternative steps in my canned text below;

FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ to test the graphics card GPU. Let it run until the GPU temperatures even out or until the GPU temperatures reach a dangerous level (you can find the max temperature for your card on either the nVidia or AMD sites; if you are not sure, ask us). The aim is to get a steady temperature, find out if the GPU is overheating, or to see if there are any artifacts present in the test itself: look for strange pixelated patterns on the screen or colors that do not look like they belong.

Next, use the |MG| Video Memory Stress Test http://www.majorgeek...tress_test.html

Download to test your graphics card memory. Let the memory test run for at least seven passes; the more the better.

If the above goes ok I will provide the steps to run Driver Verifier to see if that flags anything up.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

didnt seen anything out of the ordinary on furmark had it up to 80 for 10minutes or so it was just lagging a bit since it was only doing 21-22 fps lol.

as for the vm test:

Spoiler

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Looks like your card is ok but please re run the VM test ensuring that you first put a tick in the Use onscreen buffer check box.

Advertisements

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
20 of 254

Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
WARNING: Do not place other windows over program window!
INFORMATION: Only one mode can be tested now, all others will not match.
[4/18/2016 9:46:33 PM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
TEST CANCELED

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Just run the test on my notebook also running Windows 10 Pro but obviously with much lower specs than your rig, no such failure for me  :headscratch:

Before I post the Driver Verifier info can I ask if you have tried Safe Mode to see if the same problem happens.

Edit: I stopped the test btw.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Tried it on safe mode. by the way i stopped it after 14 pass counts.

Spoiler

20160419_150217a.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Crossed wires Toombs as I meant have you tried using the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem is still present, try Crysis in Safe Mode only (no networking) and then try Dota 2 in Safe Mode with Networking.

The VM test needs to be run in normal mode else the generic Microsoft video drivers will load and not the Nvidea drivers.

Toombs

Toombs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

both games played painfully fine in safe mode 5fps for crysis and 10fps for dota2 i actually played for 20 minutes to make sure lol.

stopped it at 3 counts was taking too long  :whistling:

Untitled.jpg