Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
There. I see it again in post 150

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok you want to delete the 3.43GB partition and the 94.23GB partition, this will leave the space as unallocated.

then the install process should be more or less the same as when you installed ubuntu.

if you run into any problems, or anything your unsure of stop and ask.

also give me a link to the version of mint your installing just in case you need me to help guide you through the install process.

:popcorn:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Ok. This what I got for partitions:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Seemed to have lost everything. When I boot the computer, I get a black screen with "error: no such partition. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>"

No Ubuntu... No Windows.

Now what?

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what you removed the partitions and now it won't boot into windows? (if so sorry not your fault i should have got you to use easybcd to remove ubuntu boot options first so it was definitely using the windows bootloader and not grub before deleting the partitions.) or you tried installing mint and it now won't boot into anything?

Seemed to have lost everything.

i doubt you've lost anything and it's just the mbr/bootloader needs fixing.

do you still have the usb stick with ubuntu on it, and can you boot it?

also what if any options do you get when starting the laptop and tapping F5 or F8?

Edited by terry1966, 25 July 2016 - 11:58 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

No. No usb stick with ubuntu on it. I used it to back up my Lenovo operating files.

F5 and F8 don't do a thing. F12 gives me Boot Menu with two options: ATA HDDO; ST500LM021-1KJ152 and PCI LAN: Realtek PXE B03 D00

And the other option; App Menu:

Setup

Diagnostic Splash Screen

Lenovo Diagnostics

I think we have been here before...

One other point: When I boot up I get "To interrupt normal start up Press Enter" That gives me something called "Startup Interrupt Menu with the options of starting normally, BIOS Setup Utility, diagnose hardware, and finally, choose a temporary startup device.

Bry

Terry. I need a solution here fast. Without my computer, I'm out of business.

Thanx.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Here's the link to Mint: https://www.linuxmint.com/

I downloaded Linux Mint 18 Sarah edition.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

what you removed the partitions and now it won't boot into windows? YES, THAT'S RIGHT.

you tried installing mint and it now won't boot into anything? NO I DIDN'T TRY TO INSTALL MINT.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Sorry for jumping all over the place here but I'm somewhat frustrated. Anyway.... I still have Rufus on a stick if that helps.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

boot the "rufus" stick and tell me what happens, with luck that is the ubuntu install stick like i think and if so reinstall ubuntu, that  will be the quickest way to boot into windows again, from there we can fix the mbr using easybcd so it uses the windows bootloader and not grub so you won't have this issue next time you delete the partitions ready to install mint.

the issue is when the pc boots up it reads the mbr on the beginning of the hard drive that tells it where to look for the bootloader that will load the operating system, and at the moment the mbr points to the grub bootloader that was on the partition we deleted so can't find the file it needs to boot, we need to make the mbr point to the windows bootloader file on the windows partition or put the grub file back and why reinstalling any linux os will be the quickest and easiest way to get everything booting.

sorry again for stressing you out, like anything i'd be able to fix the problem in 5 minutes but long distance it will take longer especially because you don't have the tools available to you to easily fix it, like a win 7 install disk.

what are you using to make posts here? just wondering because you may need to download a program before you can fix the problem if your "rufus" stick isn't the ubuntu install stick.

also can you boot the backup stick you created and tell me what options that offers, that might be the quickest way to fix things.

Edited by terry1966, 26 July 2016 - 05:03 PM.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

This not the "rufus" stick with ubuntu installed.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Booting from the "Recover Stick:

Windows opens and indicates that I can proceed, but all files will be lost. It will restore to original factory settings.

I'm just using a friend's computer to contact you.

Bry

PS: Make it three minutes. I'm in a hurry!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok i'll pm you, certain software is in a legal grey area and forums don't usually like it when members suggest using them to fix things.

was hoping the recovery stick would give you certain boot options like repair your pc so you could get to a command prompt and run fixmbr command to easily fix the boot problem but doesn't sound like that's the case.

downloading a linux os again to fix things is going to take a long time too, judging by your past attempts at downloading.

so the software i'm going to recommend isn't that large but will mean downloading it and then using rufus to put it on the usb stick and booting it to fix the boot problem, will explain more in pm.

Edited by terry1966, 27 July 2016 - 10:04 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Ah geez, Terry! I'm so done with this!!!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

all you need to do is fix the mbr so it points to the correct place so windows will boot but it's up to you if you want to continue with my instructions or not though.

i see you started a new topic here :- http://www.geekstogo...erating-system/

you should put a link in it pointing to this one so anyone can see exactly what's happened.

i see you haven't read the pm i sent you either yet, but i totally understand if you don't want me to help you further.

quote from beginning of the pm i sent you.

ok first i'd like to apologise again for getting you into this mess.

was my laziness in not fully explaining what you needed to do that caused it.

for future reference what you needed to do was run the easybcd program after deleting the partitions and before restarting the pc to fix the mbr. so this didn't happen in the first place.

all the best.