Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Terry... I got a new toy!

Sorry for the delay, but even wayward sailors need to make a little money from time to time.

Your instructions worked perfectly. Added a partition and installed Ubuntu alongside Win 7. When I click on the WiFi menu, I see Wendy's Bar... my home away from home and office. They are closed today, so I can't get the password, but pretty confident everything will work fine. I'll get back to you on this.

Anyway.... really pleased. Well done! You're a bleedin' genius.

Bry

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry it took so long, but glad you finally got it installed and it did include the wifi drivers, so everything should be plain sailing now. :spoton:

one thing i would recommend though is to stick with libra instead of open office if you can, from my understanding it gets updated and developed a lot more than open office.

:popcorn:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Yes! Have internet! Now we're cooking!!!!

I've gone back and forth between Libra and Open Office. Open Office has a few features that help me find my place in large documents, of 30 to 40 thousand words. So that's what I've been using of late. And I always seem to have trouble with the Libra Spell Check. Maybe some of these issues have been solved and I'll go back in and have a look around.

Wondering, before I start moving files to Ubuntu, (and I realize that you don't use it), but do you know of a basic primer to the OS. How to remove programs, load new ones, the basics. Just to get me started.

Anyway. Very pleased.

Thank you so much,

Bry 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

but do you know of a basic primer to the OS.

not sure by what you mean by that.

How to remove programs, load new ones, the basics. Just to get me started.

with linux the programs are mostly stored in repositories, so installing them is pretty easy just as long as you know what program you want (of course you'll need internet connection to download and install things.).

in ubuntu by the looks of it all the programs you can install are listed under the ubuntu software tab on the left in different categories. (there are other programs you might be used to and want to install that won't be listed there like skype for example and those you'd get from their own websites but for security try and only install programs that are listed because you don't know how safe other sources of software are and they might contain malware..)

for example i always install and use vlc for playing my media content, so that's one i'd install in any distro.

handbrake is another program i'd always install, used for ripping my dvd's to the pc.

you'll also find games to pass the time in there.

so really it's just a question of browsing what's there and googling to see if the program or game is any good then installing them with a simple click, if you don't like them then just uninstall them from there too.

Edited by terry1966, 09 June 2016 - 02:02 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay. Let me fool with this thing a little. I write engineering specifications for custom build yachts (boring!), so I need very good word processing. As I mentioned, I use Open Office, presently, but have used Libre extensively in the past. I need a basic browser. Torch has suited my needs. Fox Fire always seems to be upgrading me to something I don't want (like Bill Gates does). I like VLC for my media playing. Anyway, very basic requirements.

So now I have internet, I should be able to sort myself out. I'll inform you of my progress.

If you were closer, I'd take you out for a half-pint Guinness. Then fish 'n' chips and as much New Castle Brown Ale as you could put away!

Anyway, thank you, again.

Your floating friend in the Dominican Republic,

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

I write engineering specifications for custom build yachts (boring!),

actually i'd think that would be a very interesting job, especially where maximizing a design for speed was concerned, being a speed nut. (looking forward to this weeks f1 race.) :rofl:

but guess the actual job is more in line with getting good roll limits (or whatever it's called or is needed.) for safety and customer comfort when designing the boat and working out it's engineering specifications for sailing than actual on the limit speed.

yes i don't think you'll have any problems actually using ubuntu especially seeing how your main programs can be used in both os so you won't have a problem where you use a windows program that won't run on linux and then have to find an equivalent to replace it, with the extra learning curve that would entail.

take care and be safe. :thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Well been fooling around with this a bit. There certainly will be a learning curve... despite how easy Ubuntu claims. And I still have that annoying occurrence; every eight to ten clicks the Trash opens up.

I'm going to have to solve that issue if Ubuntu is to remain my OS. And when I click the icon for Ubuntu software, the wheel goes round and round but nothing opens up. It's a little frustrating.

Anyway the internet is working and I can probably source some solutions from there.

Cheers,

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Actually the job is pretty dry. The naval architects draw the pretty pictures and I translate them into English for the construction yard. The reason the work is there is because not many want to tackle the job.

I'm dating myself here, but I remember watching Jackie Stewart take the Canadian F1 in his Tyrrell Ford. It wasn't the six wheel car, that came later. I still remember the ground moving under my feet when the cars came around turn one at the start. Now I only watch on TV. Oh-hum!!!

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

And I still have that annoying occurrence; every eight to ten clicks the Trash opens up.

I'm going to have to solve that issue if Ubuntu is to remain my OS. And when I click the icon for Ubuntu software, the wheel goes round and round but nothing opens up. It's a little frustrating.

obviously neither of those things should be happening, and if it was a windows os the first thing i'd suspect is malware.

when connected to the internet next, try manually updating ubuntu from the terminal to see if that fixes your problems..

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

this might be the same problem your having with your trash keeping on opening every 10 clicks or so.

http://askubuntu.com...the-recycle-bin

so we might need to find out what touchpad your laptop has and then installing correct/different driver to what it's using at the moment.

do the update/upgrade first though and with luck that will install updated software that will fix the problem anyway.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks for this Terry. I don't have my ear buds with me so I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to check out the video.

One quick question: I just downloaded a thesaurus from the internet (linus compatible), and it seemed to download okay, though I didn't see any indication of the download happening, no wheel spinning like I'm used to. So where did it go? I checked “Downloads” but there was nothing in there. Isn't that where it should be? Like Windows? Or am I out to lunch here?

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

post a link so i can check things.

was it an actual download or just something like a pdf file that opened in the browser and was stored in a temporary folder somewhere?

if so it might be in the /tmp folder or /var/tmp folder if it was a temporary download type thing.

downloads usually are stored in the downloads folder as you'd expect unless you've changed where you want them stored.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I wanted to try Artha. Been using WordWeb but they made changes that made it more difficult to use. The link I used is below. Thanks. Bry

http://artha.sourcef.../index.php/Home

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no idea where you tried to download it from but artha is already in ubuntu's repositories so you don't need a different download to install it.

things that get installed from the repo's do not show up as a download in the download folder.

if you want to use the latest and greatest then you will need to add a repo (ppa) to install it from or download the .deb (which will be downloaded to the downloads folder.) and install that. it's the amd64.deb you need.

Linux Debian & family

If you are using Debian or its derivatives like Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. then Artha is already available in the repositories. You can install it by:

$ sudo apt-get install artha

Both Debian and Ubuntu has the version 1.0.2 of Artha in their respective repositories; so by installing using the above command, you'll not get the latest 1.0.3 release. Hence if you prefer to have the latest version, there are two options available ~ PPA and direct .deb download.

PPA

Artha now has a PPA in launchpad. This can be added to your system's repository sources through

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:legends2k/artha

This will prompt you to accept adding the PPA's keys to your system. Accept it by pressing RETURN. Once this is done, update the package data and install Artha.

$ sudo apt-get update
  $ sudo apt-get install artha
DEB

Alternatively, you can also download the deb file below for your architecture and install the same (instructions below). This is more of a manual method and the PPA method is encouraged over this one, since this method lacks automatic updation of the package, should there be a newer version of Artha.

Architecture Binary i386 artha_1.0.3-1_i386.deb AMD64 artha_1.0.3-1_amd64.deb

NOTE: Please use gdebi to install this deb package. Do not use dpkg, since it does not have the ability to automatically resolve dependencies and will lead to broken dependencies. Should you end up in broken dependencies give sudo apt-get install -f to resolve it; apt will take care of fixing it. On most Debian based distros, gdebi-gtk (GUI front end of gdebi) comes pre-installed. If you have it installed, you can simply double click the downloaded .deb file and gdebi will show you a graphical interface to install Artha. Follow the instructions and it will install Artha resolving dependencies. If you go by the CLI way:

$ sudo gdebi artha_1.0.3-1_i386.deb

Make sure the Universe repositories are enabled in your repositories list for gdebi will look for WordNet which is available only in the Universe.

http://artha.sourcef...ex.php/Download

personally i'd try it first from the repo. (just checked and it's version 1.0.3 that gets installed anyway so i'd stick to this way.)

do you still get the spinning icon when you click on the orange folder, ubuntu software icon?

if not and it opens like it should then click on that, then search for artha, click on the search result then click on the install button, enter your password and then it will install it.

you will then find it in the taskbar on the left, just click it to open and use.

not sure it's the best one to use though because it doesn't seem to have been updated since 2012 so there are probably better apps that are still updated.

have you looked into libreoffice and what thesaurus and dictionary, spell checkers etc that can be used with that?

it might be all you need.

Edited by terry1966, 14 June 2016 - 12:06 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey Terry; Got the [bleep] out of Ubuntu this afternoon. Libre has started losing basic functions like “cut and paste.” And when I opened up today, the program went strainght to Recovery Mode and failed. Luckily I had saved my work from yesterday, or I would have been screwed. I can't risk losing thousands of dollars worth of work, so I bailed. I'm back on Win 7.

Also I couldn't close Ubuntu. I had to use the power button.

Not sure where that leaves me, but Ubuntu scares the heck out of me.

Bry