Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Win 8.1 to win 8.1

• Please log in to reply

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Done everything, I believe it sees the other hdd yaay

Attached Thumbnails

• 1466954293995-826246259.jpg

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

The GPT Disk 3 in the image is your old HDD connected by USB?

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Erm... Yeah, I connected it and this came up .... Why? :-)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Erm... Yeah, I connected it and this came up .... Why? :-)

I was expecting to see the external USB disk not the old HDD, that's ok, now I know what needs to be copied.

Let's hope the 25GB free space you have on the external drive is enough to do a full backup of the old HDD.

Next

- remove the new HDD and install the old hdd inside the laptop

- boot from the Macrium Rescue and create a full backup image of all the partitions to a folder on the external USB drive (this isn't the new HDD)

- remove the old hdd and put the new one on the laptop

- boot from the Macrium Rescue

- restore the image stored on the external USB drive, delete all the existing partitions on the new HDD using the Delete Option available during restore.

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ohh... Omg. I never removed hdd my self ... Can't we load Windows from old Hdd somehow by usb? As if it's external hdd ? I don't want to risk opening laptop and ruining anything...

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm probably dreaming I guess.... Thank you for all the posts btw. :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Ohh... Omg. I never removed hdd my self ... Can't we load Windows from old Hdd somehow by usb? As if it's external hdd ? I don't want to risk opening laptop and ruining anything...

What is the brand and exact model of the laptop?

The problem of doing that with the HDD connected thru USB is that sometimes the HDD is detected as having different parameters and this can result on a Image Restore that will fail to boot!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The problem of doing that with the HDD connected thru USB is that sometimes the HDD is detected as having different parameters and this can result on a Image Restore that will fail to boot!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Lenovo s500 ideapad :)

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Lenovo s500 ideapad :)

I see is one of those that you have to disassemble almost completely to access the HDD :smashcomp:

In that case the simply option is to do the full backup image using the USB adapter. Before doing the steps I listed and for precaution do you have the Windows 8 install DVD? If not create a Windows 8 Rescue Disk just in case the boot fail.

Follow the guide Creating a bootable USB Recovery Drive here skip the part "Copy contents from the recovery partition to the recovery drive" you have to use another flash drive because Windows 8.1 doesn't accept a CD/DVD as destination.

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you so much, can I maybe seek another way? What if I download Windows from Microsoft and reinstall it completely and then get all drives from Lenovo website with the recovery for my laptop? Will that be exact same copy as I had before ? Just a thought...?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Thank you so much, can I maybe seek another way? What if I download Windows from Microsoft and reinstall it completely and then get all drives from Lenovo website with the recovery for my laptop? Will that be exact same copy as I had before ? Just a thought...?

Its feasible. Isn't that what you have now? What is the difference?

The result is different because the original image include some extra programs installed by Lenovo. The question is do you really need them?

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Actually. I have win 8.1 installed now with zero program, and no recovery basically Windows. That only has updates drives (weird ones) cause I can't even install realtek ones, they install but don't take over. I really don't know what's happening lol super confused hence why I wanted my old ones back.

Neid

Neid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I installed realtek software for drivers. They didn't take over nor the manager opens just not listed in programs or folders, although it shows in programs .... I think it's some hacker empty Windows lol