Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update to W10, fix missing files

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Shane Busby69

Shane Busby69

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If I do an update to windows 10 then a clean install will it write the needed files so I don't have to use installation media to restore or recover?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Shane Busby69,

Your thread has been moved here as it is a more appropriate forum  :thumbsup:

If I do an update to windows 10 then a clean install 

Not sure what exactly you mean by the above so the following may not be what you are asking.

If you upgrade Windows 7, 8/8.1 to Windows 10 you have a 30 day period where you can roll back to the previous version of Windows should you decide that you do not like Windows 10.

Once Windows 10 has been installed you can create your own back disk or USB device that could be used for any fresh installation.

If you qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10 you can download an ISO for free from Microsoft.

If you have a recovery partition on your hard drive that will retain the original OS unless you format/overwrite it,  some information on this here

Hope one of the above answers your question.

Shane Busby69

Shane Busby69

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To clarify, my windows 8.1 system was missing some files it needed to restore or reset, I had to create an installation disk to fill in the gaps if I wanted to use either feature. I'm hoping that the upgrade to Windows 10 will 're-write' these files. Actually, I'm hoping that doing the upgrade then a clean install will fix a lot of little buggy things when combined with the clean slate and windows default settings. Then I can download the minimum amount of programs and hopefully get better performance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

Windows 10 will fail to install if there is anything missing that it needs to complete the upgrade.

I had to create an installation disk to fill in the gaps if I wanted to use either feature. I'm hoping that the upgrade to Windows 10 will 're-write' these files. 

Are you saying that the Windows 8.1 media that you created failed to repair the damage, if yes, we may be able to help with this first.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Shane Busby69, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.