Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weak WIFI signal on every channel

WIFI

• Please log in to reply

Paton

Paton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Frontier FIOS (Formerly Verizon)  / Actiontec MI424WR  Rev 1 Router
  • All IPad's and Iphones drop connection if they are taken into a room very far from where they are currently located.  I have gone through all the steps I can find on the internet regarding the IPad and IPhone, nothing worked. 
  • I then tried moving both laptops into another room and discovered they will also drop the connection.
  • I downloaded inSSIDer and tried changing the channel on my router beginning with 1 going through 11.  The strongest signal I get is -53. 
  • Other networks in the area are getting between -75 and -95. 

Could this be a faulty router?  If so any suggestions on a good replacement?  Appreciate your help!!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

How far away are you from your router when you get the -54?   I am about 12 feet from mine and I get -45 on one adapter and -41 on another. I assume you know that the lower the - number  the better.  So you might be right that it is a bit weak.  Do you have the antenna up?  Can you move the router to a higher or different position to get it away from things which might block or interfere with its signal?   What version of firmware does your router have?  Can you restrict the router to just one mode?  Sometimes that helps a bit.

What kind of room walls do you have?  Some walls just don't allow the WiFi though very well.  I use a netgear PLW1010 which sends the signal over the powerline then rebroadcasts it to get it to the back rooms.  I got it on sale for around $40 but I see they are now about double that.