Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 slow

• Please log in to reply

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

i downloaded and ran speedfan older version but not sure what to do with it. I ran it. But can't find where to change the "high" temp setting in configuration

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Click on Configure.  Then look to see which entry is highest.  Click on the name of the entry.  You should see Show in Tray at the bottom.  Check it.  

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Ok, I did that . What's the normal temp it should be running.

And just to clarify, are you saying I need to replace Hard Drive in order for these issues to go away?

And is there anything else from the logs I posted that I need to change or were they posted correctly? Thanks!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would like to get rid of Windows Live.  I don't think removing it will hurt your pictures but just to be sure copy them to a different folder before you uninstall it.

You have some sort of problem with Office click to run.  Are you using it?  If not uninstall it.

I expect if you start a video or an anti-virus scan you will see your temps go up above their current level.  I like to see them down around 50 or below when the CPU is not busy.  When temps get above 65 bad things start to happen.  It slows down and eventually the monitor will go haywire and windows will crash.  This shortens the life of your PC so should be fixed first.

The hard drive is on the brink of failing.  With the errors that it is showing you are going to get slowdowns and crashes.  Backup anything you don't want to lose to either an external drive or DVD.  IF that's not an option, upload your pictures to flickr.com or one of the other phot sharing services like Shutterfly.  Other data can be stored on dropbox or equivalent.  If all else fails get a gmail.com account and send stuff you don't want to lose to yourself as a zipped up attachment.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I have an external drivee (seagate, uuggh) but honestly i've found it hard to use(not user friendly). (could be user error:)) I can never tell exactly what i'm backing up or when i try to open the pics they don't seem to have saved right. I"ll purchase one of those new HD's that use suggested but would like to find an external drive that I don't have to spend days trying to figure out how to back something up. lol. In other words, I need something that i can just click on and have it back up ALL my data. Any suggestions?  I am backing up to the seagate external drive that i have. It automaticall backs up the C: drive. Hopefully this works:) 

Also, as far as preventing the temps from getting to high. Are you saying that the speedfan will do that or I just need a new HD? Do I need to keep it up and running and do i need to check the box that says "automatic fan speed"

"WD Black 500GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD5000BPKX  $75"----------- I found one for $53 on amazon but it has 32MB cache, will this be an issue? 

WD Black 500GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 7 MM 2.5 Inch - WD5000LPLX

I uninstalled Office Click to run, but when i try top unistall windows live it says my photo gallery will be unistalled. 

I have an Acer computer, so as far as putting in a new HD and cleaning out dust how difficult do u think this should be? 

Edited by realapp, 15 August 2016 - 10:53 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

WD My Book looks pretty easy to use, however you could probably just use AOMEI to backup your data to your existing external hard drive.  Personally I don't bother with file backups.  I keep a spare HD and just clone my drive periodically.

Speedfan is not really going to help much tho sometimes if you click on Automatic Fan Speed it will help a little.  You can also prop up the back of the laptop a bit to improve the heat flow - just don't block the vents.  A fan tray that you sit the laptop on can also help.  The high temps are usually caused by dust clogging the heatsink.  If you can get to the fan and remove it  then you can clean the heatsink.  Do not unscrew the heatsink unless you want replace the thermal pads with new thermal paste.  What model ACER do you have?  Usually if you Google the model number you will find a youtube video showing how to disassemble your laptop. 

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

" Personally I don't bother with file backups.  I keep a spare HD and just clone my drive periodically.".... this sounds like a much easier option. lol.....However, the adapter that you mentioned early (the converter USB- to HD) i"m ASSUMING this is how you clone.  I'm not sure this will work with my laptop? I only have one working USB port. And I think it's 2.0? 

The acer i have is an ASPIRE 5733Z..

Also, google chrome is still acting funny. Any ideas until i get the new HD

Edited by realapp, 15 August 2016 - 12:36 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Apparently ACER subscribes to the HP school of laptop building.  "Set the fan on the desk and install the laptop around it:"

Looks like you have to remove the mothernoard to get to it.  

http://www.insidemyl...1-5741g-laptop/

Best bet for Chrome is to turn on Sync 

https://support.goog...m=Desktop&hl=en

Then download the offline installer:

https://support.goog...er/126299?hl=en

Note where you dave it but don't install.

Uninstall Chrome

Reboot.

Install Chrome by right click on the installer and Run As Admin.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

"Apparently ACER subscribes to the HP school of laptop building.  "Set the fan on the desk and install the laptop around it:"

Looks like you have to remove the mothernoard to get to it. "........My luck:) 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Forgot:  External drives are nothing more than a USB to SATA adapter and a hard drive in a case.  If the drive is a 2.5 (versus the larger 3.5) then you could just clone onto it.  If you have to replace the drive then open up the external drive and remove the hard drive.  You can put another drive in and use the external drive as a USB to SATA adapter.

Advertisements

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Ok, I think I get that. I already ordered the internal HD, but do i need the separate adapter then. And what/how do people use it for (assuming no external drive)  ?....How do i tell if my external drive has 2.5 vs 3.5 in it? Doesn't say on outside (other than taking it apart;)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Forgot to answer your question about cache.  More is better so 32 is better than 16.

How thick is the external drive?    If it's only about 1/2 inch then it's 2.5  Or give me the make and model number and I will look it up for you.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

thanks. it's more than 1/2 inch.  the P/N # is 9sf2a2-500- Seagate

I cleaned the fan using the instructions, however now it won't  power on?

Edited by realapp, 15 August 2016 - 11:15 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Appears to be a 3.5" drive.  Too bad.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

got the fan cleaned. Feeling accomplished (that was a pain... There was quite a bit of dust. Now to see if it keeps cooler

Edited by realapp, 16 August 2016 - 07:05 AM.