Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 10 keeps freezing and not responding (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 26 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

Hello Pearlcatdesign, Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do no... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

I just bought a new inspiron 15 3000 laptop and I've only been on it a few times, before going back to my old desk top out of frustration. My laptop keeps saying 'not responding' and keeps freezing. It does this more times than it doesn't, probably 3 times out of 4 it freezes. I haven't downloaded anything but Norton since I got it. Even when it does download a site it is extremely slow. Please help. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Pearlcatdesign,

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

If your AV protection is a paid for product, please make a note of the product key number and then for testing purposes uninstall Norton using the proper removal tool from here to see if the problem is solved.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Okay, but what if I would rather have Norton? I just wish I'd really not gone past windows 7 now because everything seems so invasive now. I bought Norton thinking maybe I could have one thing that they hadn't already installed and decided for me. I have an XP which I love but it's a desk top and I need a lap top too. But having lived with my xp since it was new, until a week ago when I got this one maybe I'm just a little behind in the times? LOL So are you saying I'd be better off not fighting it and just let them run the show? If I have to I will. BTW is there anyway to turn this into a windows 7 and get rid of 10 if it came with it?

Thanks, Pearl    

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Uninstalling Norton is a troubleshooting step that is easily reversible later if proven not to be the cause of your problems, leave as is for now and do the following for us;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

BTW is there anyway to turn this into a windows 7 and get rid of 10 if it came with it?

Not if Windows 10 was pre installed, upgrading from an earlier OS to Windows 10 gives the end user a month to roll back to the previous OS if they do not like Windows 10, being pre installed your OS will not give you this option, purchasing Windows 7 media and the appropriate product key is the only way to go from 10 to 7 in your situation.

atrace63

atrace63

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Check your OS on viruses and clean registry.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello Pearlcatdesign,

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

If your AV protection is a paid for product, please make a note of the product key number and then for testing purposes uninstall Norton using the proper removal tool from here to see if the problem is solved.

http://speccy.pirifo...IZHu7xNSRTBGdSzOkay here it is. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You have two AV programs running, this will cause instability and may actually lead to you being left unprotected, from your Speccy report;

Firewall
Firewall: Enabled
Display Name: McAfee Firewall
Antivirus
Norton Security
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
Antivirus: 

McAfee was most likely a pre installed 90 day trial version, common on new brand name computers such as Dell etc, it should have been uninstalled before you installed Norton but don`t worry this often happens and was the reason that I asked for the Speccy report so we could check out the possibility, use the MCPR tool to uninstall McAfee then see how the computer behaves, MCPR details here

You are welcome btw  :)

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Thank you, thank you  :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome Pearlcatdesign, glad we could help and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: