Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer runs slow after waking (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 November 2016 - 08:33 AM

Not sure which post should be selected tbh tigger3370, I only suggested the driver updates and disabling hibernation, the driver updates apparently did not work so either disabling hibernation or s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tigger3370

tigger3370

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Hi. I have an older computer. It's runs well enough for what I use it for. However, most times when it wakes from sleep, it runs extremely slow. It takes many seconds for things that normally take less than a second. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can start troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jason

P.S. I ran a scan with Avast, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware with no issues found.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello tigger3370,

Some further info is required;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

As an asides tigger3370, can you please update or conclude your topic here and not leave it hanging, thanks.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I'm still looking into building my own computer, but between work and school I've not had much time to look into it. I'm hoping next weekend to look into it further. If I haven't by then, I'll close it out.

As for the Speccy url: http://speccy.pirifo...KDrwZFQb22mnAUU

Thanks.

Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Please reply in your other topic advising that the thread needs to put on hold.

Looking at Speccy there is not much going on that causes concern with PSU voltages being the only thing that looks off, will come to that below.

You have an old MB with no Windows 10 drivers available for it, couple of questions;

Did this behavior only start after you upgraded to Windows 10.

What OS did you upgrade Windows 10 from.

After you upgraded to Windows 10 did you install the latest chipset drivers available for the MB.

Did you run the Windows 10 upgrade advisor before upgrading, if yes, what was advised.

Is the behavior with all kinds of use or anything in particular, using the internet for example.

Two things that I suggest you do now and one after we have your next update;

Disable hibernation:

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

Disable OneDrive, use the steps here for this.

Info only atm, the PSU voltage in red below is too low and there is no +12V reading showing, this is what we need to check out in due course;

Voltage

+5V: 5.124 V
CPU CORE: 2.220 V
VIN3: 1.668 V
VIN4: 2.220 V
+3.3V: 2.773 V

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Did this behavior only start after you upgraded to Windows 10. - This started within the last month. I'd upgraded quite a bit before that.

What OS did you upgrade Windows 10 from. - I believe I updated to 10 from 7.

After you upgraded to Windows 10 did you install the latest chipset drivers available for the MB. - I'm pretty sure that I didn't. Trying to find one now without much luck. Trying to use DriverNavigator. It says I have 8 drivers out of date, none of which are chipset MB drivers.. Can I trust this program?

Did you run the Windows 10 upgrade advisor before upgrading, if yes, what was advised. - I don't remember if I did or not. I upgraded because it was free and it kept nagging me whenever I logged on.

Is the behavior with all kinds of use or anything in particular, using the internet for example. - It happens with trying to do pretty much anything.

Two things that I suggest you do now and one after we have your next update;

Disable hibernation: - Done.

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

Disable OneDrive, use the steps here for this. - Tried to do this. I followed the instructions and One Drive wasn't where there.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

I found the foxconn website and narrowed it down to one of two motherboards. It's an AMD platfrom, socket AM3, chipset AMD 785G, and either a Cinema II Deluxe or Premium. Trying to figure out which of two since I don't want to download the wrong chipset.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Updates acknowledged  :thumbsup:

I had the same results on the Foxconn site, pretty much useless  :(

Trying to use DriverNavigator. It says I have 8 drivers out of date, none of which are chipset MB drivers.. Can I trust this program?

I only recommend two trusted programs, details for one such below, the chipset drivers are the first that should be updated, leave at that at first and test;

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Drivermax pretty much told me the same 8 drivers to update, none of which is for the chipset.

ATI Radeon HD 4200

Realtek HD Audio

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

TP-LINK Wireless USB Adaptor

AMD SATA Controller

HID Keyboard Device

HID-compliant mouse

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Contoller

Any suggestions one which to update and which to update first?

Thanks,

Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Contoller

:thumbsup:

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Ok. Updated those two drivers without any issues. Any other you'd recommend doing? I'll see if either helped with the issues I've been having.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Ok. Updated those two drivers without any issues. Any other you'd recommend doing? I'll see if either helped with the issues I've been having.

How is the computer behaving since the two driver updates.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Still horribly. i have to reboot the computer when I wake it because it is going so slow. 

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

No. It gets blocked by my virus scan. Phillpower, is Freebooter's program safe?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No. It gets blocked by my virus scan. Phillpower, is Freebooter's program safe?

There is nothing to suggest that it is not but I have asked for a senior member of staff to advise.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

In my opinion they are useless and a total waste of time, more likely to do damage than be of any use.

See my next resoponse for a more reasonable response.