Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer is Slow.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hello!!   :spoton:  :spoton:  :spoton:

For the past few weeks, my computer has been acting really slow. It takes a long time to boot up, my applications take a long time to open up and webpages on my browser take a long time to load. Can someone tell me how I can speed up my computer?? It is a Lenovo Ideapad 110. Thanks in advance!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello JohnnyTurn,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hello Technician, 

This is the URL. 

http://speccy.pirifo...eWL0ITusUMwHjeq

Edited by JohnnyTurn, 12 March 2017 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you JohnnyTurn  :(

Only two things that I can see in Speccy that may cause you issues are your choice of AV protection and TunnelBear, can I ask if the problems began after you had installed either program and if McAfee is a paid for product or a free version.

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

The version of McAfee is a free version. Should I uninstall it and TunnelBear?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yes, please use the McAfee removal tool, details here uninstall TunnelBear + refer to my canned text below;

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

Once McAfee has been fully removed, please check that Windows Defender has been automatically re enabled and allow it to update and scan your computer to make sure that it gets a clean bill of health.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you JohnnyTurn, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I apologize for my late response. I am going to follow your instructions from your previous reply. Again, I want to thank you for your assistance (which I will still be needing  :spoton:  :spoton:  :spoton: ). 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and thank you for letting us know that you were still around  :thumbsup:

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

On the link you gave me, it says that if McAfee was pre-installed on your computer by the manufacturer you should activate your subscription. McAfee was pre-installed but how do I activate it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If McAfee is already running then it has been activated and when pre installed it is most often a trial or free version, run the MCPR tool and it should remove it.

JohnnyTurn

JohnnyTurn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

I followed your instructions. My computer does work a little bit faster. Still, are there any tips on how to speed it up??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks FreeBooter  :thumbsup: