Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High CPU usage but when I open task manager.....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Autoruns also looks good with only a couple of items starting unnecessarily, Adobe and WinRar, neither of which will have much impact if you disable them.

Couple of checks left that we can do here, post a Speccy link for us, once we have that to look over we can provide the info for the next, atm I am not seeing anything that would explain the lag that you describe so we may need to redirect you over to the Malware Removal Forums.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Advertisements

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...32hjWR2hmqDWafE

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

Flush DNS

Reset FF proxy Settings

Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Attach the results to your next reply for us.

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Heres the file

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   19.63KB   441 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

There is nothing wrong with your hardware either, what you are comparing your computers performance to, your RAM at 1333MHz is slow by today's standards but it hasn`t changed overnight so you will be used to it.

Dell do not support Windows 10 on your computer so can I ask what drivers you have installed since you installed a clean version of Windows 10.

What is the Malwarebytes product that you are running, have you tried uninstalling it and then seeing how the computer behaves.

You seem to be missing Windows 10 updates, is it updating ok.

Something off in Speccy;

TimeZone
TimeZone: GMT
Language: English (United States)
Format: English (United Kingdom)
Currency: £
Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy
Time Format: HH:mm:ss

Any idea why your TimeZone is set for the UK but your location is shown to be the US  :headscratch:

Off to check the MTB log.

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Its just Malwarebytes Antimalware

I havent installed any drivers at all

Windows update says everything is up to date

I'll uninstall mbam and check again for updates

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

heres whats showing under updates

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_6.png
  • Screenshot_7.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Iansville, I have requested twice that you do not multi post but instead use the edit tab to add anything that you need to, please do so, I help many people and so have a lot of emails to get to, unnecessary posts not only fill up folks inbox but as also previously explained it can lead to important information being overlooked, thank you for your understanding.

Your MTB log is reporting multiple errors in Windows, this could be related to Windows having problems communicating with the hardware due to incompatible or missing drivers.

I havent installed any drivers at all

Dell computers are notoriously picky when it comes to drivers and when available they have to be installed in a set order or you will get problems, you are in a slightly more difficult situation here because as I previously mentioned Dell do not offer support for Windows 10 on the Dell XPS 8300 and in fact offer no support for any OS other than Windows 7, all you can do is use the Dell driver auto detect tool for the Dell XPS 8300 here and see what if any drivers is suggests that you install.

Your other points are acknowledged but you missed answering the following for us;

Something off in Speccy;

TimeZone
TimeZone: GMT
Language: English (United States)
Format: English (United Kingdom)
Currency: £
Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy
Time Format: HH:mm:ss

Any idea why your TimeZone is set for the UK but your location is shown to be the US   :headscratch:

Got to head back to work now but will check back later.

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Apologies

I did the Dell System Detect and that came back with 

No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates

Ive absolutely no idea why the TimeZone is set for the UK but my location is shown to be the US but I have changed it

Where do we go from here?

Is this fixable or not

Attached Thumbnails

• tz.png
  • tz2.png

Edited by Iansville, 09 June 2017 - 07:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I did the Dell System Detect and that came back with 

No driver updates found. Your system has the most recent updates

That will be because Dell do not provide any Windows 10 drivers, the Dell tool is basically telling you to stick with the generic Windows 10 drivers, you are not having any crashes which is a bonus, the one driver that is normally required to be installed is the MBs chipset driver, you could try installing the 64-bit Windows 7 chipset driver or just leave things as they are, if you do decide to try installing the driver be sure to create a new system restore point first.

Where do we go from here?

Is this fixable or not

There is nothing that is broken to need fixing, your CPU and RAM usage is not high for what you are doing, hardware wise, your present RAM is the fastest that is compatible with your CPU and you have plenty of it so that is not a problem, your video card is outdated and slow by today's standards + it only has 1GB of VRAM, the more tabs that you have open and the bigger your screen size the slower the add on video card will become.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

The voltage readings for your MB look on the low side (what I have highlighted in red) the readings could be anomalous but we should check them to be on the safe side

Voltage
CPU CORE: 1.044 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.512 V
+3.3V: 2.808 V
+5V: 2.782 V
+12V: 10.992 V
-12V: -8.880 V
-5V: -8.880 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.782 V
CMOS BATTERY: 1.524 V

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan from here and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Advertisements

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

1st screenshot is after the test had run

2nd is after I refreshed a web page

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_2.png
  • Screenshot_3.png
  • temp1.png
  • temp2.png

Edited by Iansville, 10 June 2017 - 06:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Its the stock PSU

Ive managed to get a readable pic

In getting that pic Ive noticed that these 2 fans are both running

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg
  • Screenshot_1.jpg

Edited by Iansville, 10 June 2017 - 01:29 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Good pictures and they do help  :thumbsup:

The CPU usage after a refresh looks high but if it settles down quickly it is normal as long as it only takes seconds.

No high temps being reported and the inside of the case is nice and clean, both good but the voltage readings reported are not helpful, it could be the Dell BIOS interfering with HWMonitor but unfortunately we have no way of knowing for sure, most MB BIOS allow you to check the temps and +3.3, +5 and +12V readings but OEM computers such as Dell and HP have very little to no such information available, below is my canned info for checking just in case;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

I suspect it will pass with flying colours but if only for your own peace of mind test your CPU using the Intel tool which you can download from here

One thing that I did notice is the combined output on the +12V rail of the PSU which says 385W, your video card requires a 400W output PSU with 27 amps on the +12V rail, card manufacturers often overstate the power requirements for their products to cover their own backs and an underpowered PSU would normally result in overheating and/or instability such as BSOD, you are having trouble with neither which suggests that your PSU is ok, the VCore voltage for the CPU also looks good in HWMonitor which suggests that power spikes are not an issue.

To summarise, everything looks good with your software and other than you having an older video card that could be getting tired there looks to be nothing wrong with your hardware either.

Iansville

Iansville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I suspect it will pass with flying colours but if only for your own peace of mind test your CPU using the Intel tool which you can download from here

Which one do I download?

Thanks

Seen it on the left

--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29
--- IPDT64 - Start Time: 11/06/2017 12:47:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Testing
CPU 1 - SPBC - Pass.
CPU 1 - Genuine Intel - Pass.
CPU 1 - BrandString - Pass.
CPU 1 - Floating Point - Pass.
CPU 1 - Prime Number - Pass.
CPU 1 - Cache - Pass.
CPU 1 - MMXSSE - Pass.
CPU 1 - FMA - Pass.
CPU 1 - AVX - Pass.
CPU 1 - IMC - Pass.
CPU 1 - PCH - Pass.
CPU 1 - IGD - Pass.
CPU 1 - GFX - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPULoad - Pass.
CPU 1 - CPU Frequency - Pass.

IPDT64 Passed
--- IPDT64 - Revision: 4.0.0.29
--- IPDT64 - End Time: 11/06/2017 12:52:12

PASS

Edited by Iansville, 11 June 2017 - 05:52 AM.