Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best solution for wifi setup for college house with 7 occupants

wifi boost multi-user multi-devices

• Please log in to reply

shelmomPA

shelmomPA

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Our situation: 7 users living in one off-campus rowhouse (tall and thin) with multiple floors/users/devices (1 user on 1st floor, 2 on second, 3 on third, and one on 4th floor). We are in need of fast, reliable, wifi setup. The ISP for the area thinks one whole-home all-in-one router/modem should work, but we have our doubts. There are 4 floors (plus basement), lots of walls, 7 users with 2 devices each (phones and laptops). We need something that can handle multiple users online at the same time for academics, plus the occasional streaming music and movies. I've been trying to do some research myself online and am getting more and more confused as to which option is best:

• Getting 2 separate router/modems from the ISP and having 2 networks in the house (4 users on one, 3 on the other)? If so, any recommendations as to which floors (i.e. 1st and 3rd? or 2nd and 4th?)
  • Using the one ISP router with an extender/booster we buy/install separate? If so, what is the recommendation as far as the best floors to install on, and can you recommend a good, reliable, non-budget-busting extender?
  • Using the one ISP router with a Wireless Access point (with the same "If so..." questions as the option above).

Please help! Didn't think this would be so difficult and the new school year is rapidly approaching! Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Option 2 with TP Link AV500 Wi Fi Range Extender, Powerline Edition Starter Kit w/ 2 LAN Ports, Up to 300Mbps Wireless (Price: $49.99   on Amazon).  

Apparently you can use multiple adapters on the same network.  I'd start with one set and add more if you need them.  Read through the Q&A

shelmomPA

shelmomPA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

thanks!

BruceWatson

BruceWatson

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I know about two options that can connect routers to each other on the same network. The first option is to connect two routers via Wi-Fi, and the second option is to connect routers via a network cable. In any case, the routers will work on the same network, and everyone will distribute the Internet both via cable and Wi-Fi.  

BruceWatson

BruceWatson

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Yeah, you're right.

My last chief said that with my manner of talking on the phone, I can even negotiate with terrorists. I have always been able to establish contact with different people, but here is the job invitation letter sample, I wrote the help of the Internet. Always I had problems this such kind of documents.

Edited by BruceWatson, 31 January 2019 - 10:27 AM.

Matthew8973028

Matthew8973028

• Pip
  • 1 posts

hahahahah and that's true same situation