Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 651 on newly installed windows 7

error 651 windows 7

• Please log in to reply

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 for which the hard drive crashed and I replaced it. I also installed Windows 7, but now I cannot connect to the internet. I get an Error 651- The modem has reported a problem.

I know the modem is working fine, as every other device is working ok. I am assuming theres a driver missing? Any help is appreciated :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello lawnguybri,

After the clean install of Windows 7 did you then install the required Toshiba drivers and starting with the chipset drivers first.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 

There are different variations of the L755 see here to find the right drivers we need to know the exact model that you have.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

My apologies. Satellite L755-S5360. chipset drivers? I am going to say no. Where would I acquire those?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

If you are using 64-bit Windows 7 all drivers can be downloaded from here to more quickly find the chipset drivers, put a tick in the box labelled as Others first, we don`t know which particular modem the notebook has so for now only install the chipset drivers as that can sometimes help Windows own generic drivers work with third party hardware, example, your computer must be running using Windows own generic video drivers atm as you have not mentioned installing any Intel or Nvidea display drivers.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

This may seem naive but under the 'drivers and updates' menu, when i try to select an item, nothing happens. I can select the 'manual and specs' tab, and open up the user manuals, but nothing happens when I try to select anything in the drivers tab

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You need to download and install the Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility from the list first.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Ok, so....

The page provided ( http://support.toshi...3132744&osId=31) has the " Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" but when i click the name it does nothing. When I place the cursor over the name it highlights as if it wants to open a new window, but nothing opens. None of the drivers/updates do anything when selected.

So i copy/paste the name "Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" and google search, which (obviously) brings up numerous sites. I tried downloading that driver from another site, saved it onto a zip drive, then transfer it to the computer being rebuilt, and upon installation I get a screen that mentions I need internet access to complete the driver install. Which i don't have, which is why I'm here in the first place.

Suggestions?

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Basically, I think i need the Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility that I can install without internet connection.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Not sure where you downloaded the driver from so cannot comment on that and not sure why you cannot download the driver direct from Toshiba, I was able to download the driver as you can see in my attached screenshot below;

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

This is what i was saying before...when I scroll over "Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility" it highlights as if I can click it and open a new page, but nothing happens when clicked. Could I have a security setting disallowing me to open it? (I'm doing this on the wife's computer)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I am understanding what you are saying but not why you cannot download the driver from Toshiba when I can, what OS is on the wife`s computer, you would normally get a warning if a security setting was blocking something.

Have you looked in the download folder on the wife`s computer to see if the file has actually downloaded, if not there, can you grab and upload a screenshot of the page that you refer to above.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

you would normally get a warning if a security setting was blocking something.

Yea I get you on that, I don't get that.

I cannot select any of the drivers. Nothing  happens when click on a driver. The only thing that opens for me is the User Guide.

I don't understand how nothing on here will open for me, yet someone else it works fine. I even tried on another computer, using a different ISP.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Sorry but got to ask, you are clicking on the large blue Download tab as in the attachment below, the other attachment shows you what I got from the download;

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I got it. 

After commenting on using different browsers ( I know I said ISP, meant browsers), I realized I had problems before with Firefox in this application; Explorer always has problems lol. I looked at the thumbnail and realized he was using Chrome, so I switched to that and it worked perfect. 

The Chipset utiliity is installed...what next?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No problem, you got it sorted and that is what matters.

Couple of questions;

Have you tried connecting to the internet again.

Are you using the LAN or do you have a wireless router.

If using the LAN, there is only the one LAN driver listed and that for an Atheros device, download and install that.