Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Login screen does not show box for input (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 March 2018 - 11:27 AM

Glad to hear that the clean install went well and that you are now back up and running Windows 10   Two things that I would suggest. 1: Create new system restore points before reinstallin... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

That didn't work even with my fingers crossed. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Only two suggestions left before considering a clean install I`m afraid  :(

Can you see if you are able to get into the Command Prompt in the Advanced/Troubleshooting options, post back and let us know if you will.

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Yes I can.  The top of the screen shows Administrator: X:\windows\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe

and on the screen is:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.125]

X:\Sources>

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

At the Command Prompt please type sfc /scannow and then press Enter

The above is to see if Windows can be repaired, please note that if SFC does work it can take a while and may need to be run 4 or 5 times to repair all errors.

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

It ran and said verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any intergrity violations.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Running out of ideas  :(

Are you still not getting the password input box.

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

No.  It boots up and goes to the sign in screen, but no box - I have to hit numlock to get the box. 

I can just do the reinstall if it will let me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
- I have to hit numlock to get the box. 

Wasn`t aware of this, can you log into Windows normally once the box appears, if not because there is still no keyboard, take a look at the info here which shows you how to get the on screen keyboard through the ease of access option, this will hopefully allow you to log into Windows where you will be able to check the Device Manager and drivers etc.

Sorry but it is that time of day for me again, will check back tomorrow after work, good luck.

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

No, I can't get the box without having the keyboard to hit the numlock for the sign in.

I have to be in Windows settings in order to access the Ease of Access settings. 

Thanks.  Have a good night.

Edited by Barbara W, 12 March 2018 - 04:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the late reply, no time for the forums yesterday I`m afraid  :(

I have to be in Windows settings in order to access the Ease of Access settings. 

Not normally you don`t, see the example attachment below where I have highlighted the icon on the lock screen of Shawn over on the Ten forums.

Advertisements

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I wasn't being clear.  I can see that when it boots normally, but with this the only thing showing on the screen is the background picture the date and time, and the icon showing the wireless is not connected.  If it was I still would need the keyboard or mouse to select it.  I'm sorry that I don't always state things clearly.

I there someway I can attach a picture?

Edited by Barbara W, 14 March 2018 - 11:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If it was I still would need the keyboard or mouse to select it.

Does the above mean that your mouse is not working either.

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

That appears to be true.  On the sign on screen I normally only use the keyboard to hit numlock and enter my pin code.  I had not previously tried the mouse there because I had no reason.  I tried it just now and it does not show arrow that usually darts across the screen when I move the mouse so I have no way of knowing when I would be onthe icon.  But I did try clicking on the screen and nothing happens there either.  The mouse is a wireless usb.

Edited by Barbara W, 14 March 2018 - 02:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the mouse, the same for the keyboard that was connected when you first noticed the issue.

Have you tried the mouse and the keyboard that was connected when you first noticed the issue to your other computer to see if they work ok on that, being able to boot into your ISO on the USB ports proves that your USB ports are ok and if the keyboard and mouse work on another computer you have no other option than to do a clean install of Windows I`m afraid  :(

Barbara W

Barbara W

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

They do work on my other computer.  Do I install from the usb boot drive?