Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to know if installing linux lite fix my start up boot issue OR

linux chromebook gallium coreboot grub2 chainloader

• Please log in to reply

Ralph’s ambitions

Ralph’s ambitions

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

I have installed gallium twice; one on my internal hdd, and the other on a sd card. I honestly have no idea how to upgrade my coreboot firmware so it will have grub2 menu, and I do not know if that is a good idea to do that because my chromebook is uefi, and literally I just want to have grub menu to boot up on startup, which will allow me to boot to external and internal device. I already lost my xubuntu system because it was unsupported, and I really do not want to install linux lite 4.0 only for it to crash everything. I want a 100% guarantee if that's possible. I did however ran boot repair which you have to install that by going and retrieving the repository for it. It told me to boot file "shimx64.efi" which is where my bios is installed, I'm assuming it is my bios because the partition says the partition is EfI filesystem, and it is mounted on /boot/efi. In my case, it's talking about /dev/mmcblk0p1, and when I do that, it shows up grubmenu 2.0 or 2.2 with a lot of options including "chainloader" when I hit the tab button. My bios partition table is still formatted as GPT, I don't know why, my sd card partition table is formatted as MBR. I think that I need to chainload it, and honestly I do not know how to do that without trying every option which could cause my machine to not work.

I was thinking installing linux lite 4.0 on sd, update the grub, then just use that grub to boot the two gallium os will solve my issue, but I can be wrong.

If linux lite 4.0 does not work at all, then, I would like advice on how to use chainloading inside coreboot grub menu.

Advertisements

mikaelrask

mikaelrask

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Ralphs, your best bet would to use gallium and do a fresh install. its the only linux os that i know of that would work on a Chromebook without no problem. let the installation use the flash memory witch chrome os is installed on. you could also use the sd card but i know the performance will not be good on that. the only time you update grub is when you remove old kernels/ or install new kernels. good luck.