Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems after installing new power supply.

power supply gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Hey all, just today I got in a new graphics card (NVidia GEForce GTX 1060) and a new power supply with the intent to upgrade my gaming pc. After installing the power supply and graphics card I noticed that there was no power going to any of the fans and the card, after a few adjustments the power ran to the fans and the LED on the power button but the card doesn't show up. switching back to the old card does the same thing. Also my keyboard on my gaming pc doesn't light up when it usually does (also tested with a controller)

I'm not sure what the problem is, can't be the motherboard since there is power going to the LED and fans. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

no I never had the chance to install the driver for the new card. the drivers for my old card are still on there.

as for the new power supply it's a 650 watt corsair cx650m

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I can already confirm that yes the psu is capable of supplying the needed watts to all the connected components including the motherboard and I can't even install any updates to the BIOS cause I can't see anything. the graphics cards (both the old and new) don't display. also my keyboard and mouse don't light up yet my external drive works when I try to power my gaming pc up.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I was planning on doing that. or at least get my gaming pc checked out in case there's something else I'm missing

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

okay as of now my pc is currently in the shop pending a full diagnostic. they also offered to help install the graphics card and psu after the diagnostic.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

They just contacted me and it turns out the motherboard was the problem. we'll be replacing the motherboard with a new one.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

thanks and I hope so too, we got the new motherboard on the way as well as a tube of thermal paste for when we move the CPU to the new board

Edit: Well the new motherboard is in and installed but now we ran into a new problem, my old CPU is incompatible with the motherboard, looks like I'll be getting a new CPU chip now.

Edited by Lucky Dearly, 26 April 2018 - 11:08 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The shop should have tried to match the CPU to a compatible board or attempted to get the same board.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

well we got everything in and now it powers up but only for a second before it all goes off again. I dunno what else to do. I checked the connections and everything, still nothing.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

The shop should have tried to match the CPU to a compatible board or attempted to get the same board.

Well they didn't carry any motherboards, that's the problem there

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

The repair shop could have found the same motherboard if they had google search the motherboard.

Did the repair shop give you any answer to why computer is not powering on?

Did the repair shop use a different spare power supply unit?

Did the repair shop check and make sure connected RAM modules functioning properly?

1. No they didn't cause they didn't have any motherboards in stock

2. yes, they said the original motherboard was damaged.

3. no they used the current one I have installed in it right now

4. like I said they only used the original motherboard. I didn't get the new one till the day after.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I would but I don't have the money to cover another diagnostic. and the only other power supply I have is the old one but that one is 300 watts and wouldn't be enough to power everything in my pc.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

ok decided to try to power it back up, I did see a light go on inside the pc (most likely from the motherboard). it was one light and that was all

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

geez where the heck is everybody at? it feels almost dead in here

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

You have payed for your computer to be repaired but this repair shop took your money without correctly diagnosing your computer problem and give you back the computer without repairing it, i would ask for my money back. 

What you need to do is send back the power supply unit for replacement, we need to make sure power supply unit working correctly.

Reset the RAM modules by reconnecting the RAM modules.
Blow off any loose dust or debris from the RAM using canned air. Hold the module by its edges.
Clean the contacts using a soft cloth that does not leave fibers behind, such as a lens cleaning cloth slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Reseat the memory to see if any difference. If no change-try with one stick of memory, then the other to determine which one is bad, or  if both need replacing.

I'll see what happens with the RAM. Though I only have one DDR4 RAM stick in it, the RAM from my old pc's motherboard was incompatible with the new board (the old ones are DDR3 sticks and the new board accepts DDR4 sticks)