Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External drives disconnected at random

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

This was posted earlier to the Win 10 forum (no replies). I now think it’s a hardware problem.

I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro.

All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:.

From day one, drive N: would disconnect (or would be disconnected) from the system for no reason, at random times. (It has never once happened while it was connected to the old machine, a Gateway with Vista.)

When this happened, I disconnect-reconnect the power supply to the drive and the computer recognizes it again.

Several days ago, drive T: went into coma during a backup to a new drive, at about 65%. I killed the backup process, restarted the machine. The drive was not visible, I thought it died.  This morning it was plugged in, became visible, the backup resumed (!) but then stalled at 81%.  After couple more tries, backup was finished.

Both drives are Seagate. N: is 4.5 years old, T is almost 3.

Three-four days ago, the N: drive was connected to an HP/Win 7 machine, to a random USB port. It stayed connected for three days, without being lost once. The T: drive was plugged into a USB port on the front face of Dell (it was in the back previously).

This morning, the N: drive was reconnected to the Dell machine, one of the rear USB ports. The T: drive was also plugged to one of the rear USB ports.

About two hours later N: disappeared from Win explorer view. The T: is still visible.

The question is What to analyze next, and how?

I remember checking USB drivers a couple weeks ago. According to windows, they were up to date.

Are there tools that allow me check functionality of the hardware components?

Are there known compatibility issues between an 5 y.o. drive and newer (1 y.o.)  hardware?

Thanks!

Boris

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Might be help or insight at the link below,

https://windowsrepor...ive-windows-10/

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

THANK YOU!!!!

I just started reading the article. Will follow all advice.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

After reading the article carefully, I started with the simple steps first.

1. Disabling MS One Drive was not necessary because I disable it right away when the machine was out of the box.

2. Turning off Fast Startup did not help. The drive was recognized upon Restart but then lost in about an hour.

Following other suggestions in the article was not successful.

For example, their step 3 reads: “Wait for the list of installed apps to appear. When the list appears, locate Seagate software and click the Uninstall button.”

However, there are no apps on my computer that are named Seagate whatever.

Likewise, I could not reinstall Paragon drivers because I could not find them on my computer in the first place.

I left a comment on the web page but have no idea if anybody will read it.

Studying Seagate website, found this page: https://www.seagate....ws-10-006200en/
according to which, my drive should work.

My N: drive is from the “Backup Plus Family”. It points to an “HFS driver 9.1 or higher”.
Dell’s Device manager lists MS Diver version 10.0.17763.1, dated 6/21/2006 as the most current driver for this drive.

Should I download the HFS driver, and then go to “Update Driver” > Locate and install driver s/w manually ?

If yes, where (which folder) should the HFS driver be placed properly for Windows to see it?

Thank you!

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

I can't answer those questions right off the bat especially about what folder to put the driver in. I'll do a bit of research to see how others have dealt with the issue and hopefully find something for you.

zep

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you! I will wait.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello,

Everything I google about HFS driver comes up MAC so I'm lost, hardware's not my game sorry I was hoping the first link would sort things out. Let me see if I can get a hardware tech to look at this topic for you.

zep

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

When I click on the HFS drive link on the Seagate page, it opens a download page where this driver is call Paragon. And it's for Win 10.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

I wonder if it's a usb 3.0 problem, see here

https://www.thewindo...-not-recognized

Let me see if I can get someone over here that knows this better then me.

Zep