Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

MikeBack

MikeBack

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Good Evening all

Please could someone help me. 

Windows 10 is driveing me crazy. About 5 - 6 times a day it keeps on popping up a message that Improtant updates are available, restart now or pick a time.

Looking at the Update History, the last successfull update was 1703 (KB4023057).

Update 1709 and 1803 all have a note next to them that reads either "Failed to Install" or "Requires Restart to Finish"

No matter how many times I restart the computer, neither 1709 or 1803 seem to install properly.

What can I do to get these updates to install ?

Is there anyway to switch off updates in win 10 as you could in Win 7.

Thank you

Mikeback

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi :welcome:

How much free space do you have on the C: drive?

1709 and 1803 are other Windows 10 releases not normal updates, it seems that your computer have some problem upgrading the version that you have... by the way the most recent version is presently v1809.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi Sleepy Dude

Windows is on a separate partition of 250 Gb of which 125 are free.

I can not find what version of Windows is installed. I am not that familiar with Win 10, only been using it for 3 weeks since my Win 7 machine crashed due to load shedding.

The update history states that the 2019-04 update for Version 1703 as successfully installed on 4/5/2019 under Quality Updates.

Under Feature Updates there are 50 entries half for V1709 and half for V1803, all of which state that the system requires a restart to finish installing.

When I do a restart, the notification gets to 75% and then reboots.  After the reboot I get the system requires restart message again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Thanks for the update.

Lets check if the system is reporting errors...

SFC scan

• Please open up a Command Prompt Window as a Administrator, instructions for Windows 10.
  • Inside the command prompt window type or Copy & Paste the following command:
    sfc /scannow

Note: This may take some time to finish.

Next command:

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Let me know the result of both commands.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Sleepy Dude

I have run the 2 commands.
Reply for sfc /scannow was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
The responce to dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth is attached:

Thanks
MikeBack

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   3.8MB   427 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Please tell me the result of the dism command because the dism.log isn't very helpful...

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi

Here is all the text on the command prompt screen:
C: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>DISM /ONLINE / CLEANUP - IMAGE / RESTOREHEALTH
DEPLOYMENT IMAGE SERVICING AND MANAGEMENT TOOL
VERSION 10.0.15063.0
[===============================93.8%======================== ]
ERROR: 0X800F081F

THE SOURCE FILES COULD NOT BE FOUND.
USE THE "SOURCE" OPTION TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF THE FILES THAT ARE REQUIRED TO RESTORE THE FEATURE. FOR MORE INFORMATIONON SPECIFYING A SOURCE LOCATION, SEE http://go.microsoft..../?linkid=243077.
The DISM log can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

I hope this make sense to you.
Thanks
MikeBack

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
Sorry the link was not entered correctly.
The correct link is:http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=243077

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I only need to know if it reaches 100% or not and any error message and code returned.

Please run dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth again and immediately after the error do the following:

Locate the log c:\Windows\logs\cbs\CBS.log copy the file to the Desktop, Zip it and attach to your post.

Note: If the file is too big to attach please upload it to a service like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive or upload to SendSpace and just provide the link for the file here.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

Reached 93.8% again. Error code 0x800f081f.

CBS log attached

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   1.98MB   447 downloads

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

One file is reported as corrupted lets replace it...

SFCFix Script

!!! WARNING !!! The following fix is only relevant for this system and no other, applying this fix on another computer will not work and most likely will cause problems...

• Download SFCFix.exe (by Niemiro) and save it to the Desktop
  • Download the file SFCFIX.ZIP, attached below, and save this to your Desktop
  • On your Desktop, make sure you have the two files: myjIXnC.pngSFCFix.exe and sfpcJCen14An3ndjNGCI7mByhjHJud.pngSFCFIX.zip
  • Drag the file SFCFIX.zip onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it
  • The SFCFix tool will process the script
  • Upon completion, a log file SFCFix.txt should be created on your Desktop
  • Open the SFCFix.txt log and copy & paste the contents to your post

Attached Files

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi

Here is the contents of the log file produced:

SFCFix version 3.0.1.0 by niemiro.
Start time: 2019-04-09 17:59:11.227
Microsoft Windows 10 Build 15063 - amd64
Using .zip script file at C:\Users\Barry\Desktop\SFCFix.zip [0]

PowerCopy::
Successfully took permissions for file or folder C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.cat
Successfully took permissions for file or folder C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

Successfully copied file C:\Users\Barry\AppData\Local\niemiro\Archive\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.cat to C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.cat.
Successfully copied file C:\Users\Barry\AppData\Local\niemiro\Archive\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum to C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum.

Successfully restored ownership for C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.cat
Successfully restored permissions on C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.cat
Successfully restored ownership for C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum
Successfully restored permissions on C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum
PowerCopy:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.

Failed to generate a complete zip file. Upload aborted.

SFCFix version 3.0.1.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 2 datablocks.
Finish time: 2019-04-09 18:03:32.789
Script hash: XnMVyqCQ58Qs4TIjBy8yV1ij1Uw9FxWkHwuazaz2Kl4=
----------------------EOF-----------------------

Thanks

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Ok, run dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth again and if it fails collect the new CBS.log and post the error code please.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

Same result, 93.8% Error code 0x800f081f

Can I ask what might be a stupid question.  My Windows is a 64bit system. Why is the programme looking at the system32 directory?

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   2.29MB   431 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Can I ask what might be a stupid question.  My Windows is a 64bit system. Why is the programme looking at the system32 directory?

Were do you see that? because of C:\Windows\system32>?

Try to download and install the following update:

2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4016871)

http://download.wind...e0151551b7d.msu

Please report the result