Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latest Win10 patches going to make me crazy

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

Dinogeek

Dinogeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts

For 2 years or more I've been running Win10 (upgraded from Win7 or 8) on my 64-bit Dell machine.  I was reasonably satisfied with the way it worked.

On Saturday 6/15 Windows decided to install an upgrade.  (This might have been connected somehow with a truly awful freeware product I installed and then deleted, WPS_office).  And that totaLLY screwed things up.

For starters, I cannot pin any applications to the taskbar.  I've tried, and I know I;'m following instruucti0ns (right-click in START menu, then click Pin to Taskbar).  What happens is that the applications I pick do in fact show up on the taskbar, but then when I close down my computer and re-start it, they are no longer there.   My research indicates that this is a fairly common problem. 

Another serious problem:  In Firefox (latest version), I've set it to open with the tabs that were open when I closed it down.  But that's not happening--it's launching as if for the first time, which also means that the Firefox add-ons I've installed, are not there anymore..

When I start my computer up, at one point I get a message saying "Preparing Windows".  HUH?????  What the [bleep] is that about?  It's just a waste of time.

And Windows takes a comparatively long time to shut down, and then start up.

I am not confident that I will be able to go back to my older version, so how do I fix these problems?

HELP!!!!!!!

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi Dinogeek,

Lets check your windows to make sure their is no problems with the file system, please press and hold the windows key and while holding, press R.  When the run box comes up, type:

CMD

Then press and hold CTRL+SHIFT then press enter.

Then when the command prompt comes up, please type:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it do it's thing.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I would be far more inclined to do a repair install (or actual upgrade install) if you're not already running 1903 and don't have the ISO file for the version you are running.

Once you have the ISO you wish to use, either the one for your currently installed version or the new one for 1903, then simply right click on it and choose Mount from the context menu.  In the File Explorer window that opens kick off setup.exe.

Make sure you choose to keep files and apps (which is the default, but still make sure that's what you're doing).

Nemesis-Dinu

Nemesis-Dinu

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Microsoft has released the latest update before resolving a number of outstanding issues. But at least they now provide a more centralized location for getting update information. The home page (dashboard) can be found here and the specific page for the latest update can be found here.