Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Systray

• Please log in to reply

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all!

Yesterday noticed that my Systray now shows nothing but the clock. My Norton Antivirus, Spy Sweeper, Volume, a capture program are gone from the tray.

:tazz: Have they been disabled or are they still running but just not visible?
;) How do I get them back?
;) In fact...how do you control the contents of the SysTray?

SOLUTION FOUND: See A in my own reply

Note: Three other things have happened that might be related:

1) Since two days ago, on bootup the Windows installer will start (why I don't know--there is no program CD in the drive--...then a Norton message appears saying "Norton Antivirus 5000 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall."

SOLUTION FOUND: See B in my own reploy

2) Same day, tried sending an email and got message that said 'Can't send because one of the recipients was rejected'.... and on top of THAT message was a Warning --assumably from Spy Sweeper-- saying:

- - - - - - "There is a conflict between Spy Sweeper (SS)and another software
- - - - - - program. Some shields in SS have been disable in order to
- - - - - - -prevent a larger conflict. To improve the situation, run a sweep,
- - - - - - -go to shields, turn on Spy installation shield and IE Hijack Shield."

- - - - - - My sweep was clean, and yet some shields were on and some were off,
- - - - - - so I turned them all on.

SOLUTION FOUND: See C in my own reply.

3. The last thing I have noticed in same time period is that...when opening a file or menu list, they open slow and/or the content is very slow to appear.

4. My Internet Explorer icon no longer gets me to the internet. Am having to click a URL shortcut on my desktop to get to the internet. I can find no IE.EXE file on my system -- only ie??.exe that are not the executable to start IE itself.

SOLUTION FOUND: Also See C in my own reply.

No more help is needed but I wanted to post solutions in case anyone has similar problems. So see my reply below for my solutions.

Edited by veryveryjoyful, 21 June 2005 - 09:43 PM.

Advertisements

veryveryjoyful

veryveryjoyful

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Fortunately I found all my own solutions. I modified the post above and put in solutions 'tags' that point to this reply memo. Here they are:

SOLUTION A. Reading other posts, I used the instructions from GeeksToGo to get ready for a Hijack (various spy sweeps, windows updates, etc.) and then downloaded and used Taskbar Repair (I paid the $5 registration fee). It has an option to "hide the notification area icons" (i call it systray) which I did and then I ran it again to "unhide" them and voila, all was well again. Well, the entire notification area was displayed, the expander button wasn't... that was fixed with a system restore (see below).

SOLUTION B. I did have to uninstall and reinstall Norton Antivirus (NAV). There were some problems and I had to do it twice, but eventually got it up and running just fine. [the second time I disabled SpySweeper and turned off every Notification Area program]

I updated NAV twice as recommended, then did a full system scan and found no errors.

SOLUTION C.. This appears to have been resolved because I did have to go back and restore my system settings from about a week ago.

I had another problem...my sound volume control had disappeared from the Notification Area, which is the real reason I had to do the System Restore. I am SO glad I had set a restore point that I could go back to.

Now that system is running okay I have set a new System Restore Point....don't know how?

Click [Start|All Programs|Accessories|System Tools|System Restore|Create Restore Point] so I can always get back to THIS system configurations