Yesterday noticed that my Systray now shows nothing but the clock. My Norton Antivirus, Spy Sweeper, Volume, a capture program are gone from the tray.
Have they been disabled or are they still running but just not visible?
How do I get them back?
In fact...how do you control the contents of the SysTray?
SOLUTION FOUND: See A in my own reply
Note: Three other things have happened that might be related:
1) Since two days ago, on bootup the Windows installer will start (why I don't know--there is no program CD in the drive--...then a Norton message appears saying "Norton Antivirus 5000 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall."
SOLUTION FOUND: See B in my own reploy
2) Same day, tried sending an email and got message that said 'Can't send because one of the recipients was rejected'.... and on top of THAT message was a Warning --assumably from Spy Sweeper-- saying:
- - - - - - "There is a conflict between Spy Sweeper (SS)and another software
- - - - - - program. Some shields in SS have been disable in order to
- - - - - - -prevent a larger conflict. To improve the situation, run a sweep,
- - - - - - -go to shields, turn on Spy installation shield and IE Hijack Shield."
- - - - - - My sweep was clean, and yet some shields were on and some were off,
- - - - - - so I turned them all on.
SOLUTION FOUND: See C in my own reply.
3. The last thing I have noticed in same time period is that...when opening a file or menu list, they open slow and/or the content is very slow to appear.
4. My Internet Explorer icon no longer gets me to the internet. Am having to click a URL shortcut on my desktop to get to the internet. I can find no IE.EXE file on my system -- only ie??.exe that are not the executable to start IE itself.
SOLUTION FOUND: Also See C in my own reply.
No more help is needed but I wanted to post solutions in case anyone has similar problems. So see my reply below for my solutions.
Edited by veryveryjoyful, 21 June 2005 - 09:43 PM.