Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell PC software problems

- - - - -

Best Answer BerDov , 08 June 2021 - 09:51 AM

Once again, thank you very much, Phillipower2 and peterm! Before I click on [Mark Solved], would like to share that, after returning the computer to B&H, I bought another version of the sa... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Well, no, I don't think #58 was misread.

I wrote last night: " Removing it [Avast] through Control Panel did not work."

I also found this same link listed in #60 and tried to get into Safe Mode but it did not work:

" I downloaded avastclear.exe and then used this web page as a guide to Start Windows in Safe Mode: https://support.micr...e4-b3e5e56fe234

Everything went well through the last, 4th, screen shot in pt. 4. I clicked on [Restart] but this did not work for me:

"5.          After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or press F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking."

No list of options, just a screen to enter my PIN."

It is my understanding that avastclear.exe should be executed in Safe Mode.  I did not try it in the regular Win environment.

It seems that nothing works...

There may be two alternatives, although I have no idea if either will work.

1. As I wrote last night, there was an option, on the way to Safe Mode, to boot from a recovery USB, but I wanted to coordinate with you first.

2. I have a 4 y.o. HP (writing on it) which came with two DVDs: Win 7, and Win 10 Pro, "for use with a licensed HP or Compaq".  If the C:\ drive wiped out clean (format C:\), will the HP version install? I have a product key (4 groups of 5 characters), but this key is for "Win 10 Pro for Dell"...

About a year ago, this message started popping up at each restart. I've never  changed anything and repeated login with the MS account name/password, but it keeps showing. Don't think it's related to the current problems, but still wanted to share.

Attached Thumbnails

• MS_accouint_problem_msg.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

Sorry, missed that but in my defence I've had a long and trying day  :(

As things stand Avast it the least of your problems because of the problems that you are having with the present installation of Windows neither playing nice with you or letting you do a clean install, it is as if the computer is possessed or is determined to not let you change anything.

1: At this time I would try any option that you have available to you, it`s not as if you can do any damage.

2: It depends on what is on the HP Windows 10 disk as to whether or not it would be of any use, try popping it in the computer and exploring the contents to see what is on it, the product key you have no need to worry about as the one that is already allocated to the present Windows 10 install will be detected and the appropriate features within Windows installed.

Last throw of the dice would be trying the Recovery partition that is on the HDD, it would if it worked though take you back to the original OS that was installed when the PC shipped and you would then have to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

No need to apologize, please.

Below is a screen shot of the disk contents. One interesting factoid is that the HP refused to read it (!!!) Dell had no such problem. I do not know if it can be of any use. Do I just click on setup.exe? Right now, or after wiping out the C drive?

Here is the plan:

1. Execute "recover from USB" noticed on the way to Safe Mode.

2. If this does not work I would try what you described as the "last throw of the dice" except I do not understand what steps must be taken and in what order. will appreciate the instructions.

3. If this does not work, try installing the OS from the HP provided DVD.

Attached Thumbnails

• dvd_win_10.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

Thanks  :)

That looks like a stock Windows 10 disk with no extras which would be real helpful if you need to use it.

#1 check

#2 How to guide here  Windows 8 is the last OS covered which I believe is what is on your recovery partition.

#3 Check, you could if you wanted to do a dummy run before trying #2, change the boot sequence to DVD drive, put the disk in the drive, restart the PC and see if the installation process starts.

That time of day again I`m afraid so will have to just wish you good luck for now and catch up tomorrow, not as busy then so we will check back asap.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Good morning Sir,

after re-reading past exchange and instructions, maybe it's time to stop trying to fix whatever problems are there and just install the OS from an HP DVD I have.

So, I tried to "change the boot sequence to DVD drive" as you suggested. Opening Boot window, there is no explicit reference to a CD or DVD.

What should be the proper step sequence, please?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

DVD/CD drive needs to be first in the boot order, refer back to your reply #41 for how to get to the options that will allow you to see the CD/DVD drive information.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you!

I managed to re-configure BIOS and pressed F12 on auto restart; now

LEGACY OPTIONS:

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive

is visible.

I am assuming that, inserting the Win10 DVD and pressing [Enter] will cause booting from DVD, i.e. reinstalling the OS.

Will the OS be installed in the same  partition where it is now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
I am assuming that, inserting the Win10 DVD and pressing [Enter] will cause booting from DVD, i.e. reinstalling the OS.

Nope, place the DVD in the drive then restart the computer, as long as the DVD drive is first in the boot order upon restarting you should get an on screen message saying "press any key to boot from disk".

Will the OS be installed in the same  partition where it is now?

That would be ideal but being honest after all the trouble that you have had it would be better if the whole HDD got wiped and after Windows has been installed you then create separate partitions for your data etc, more on that later though and lets see if you can get Windows installed first.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Here is what happened just now:

- inserted DVD; Enter

- win logo; reading disk;

- + 3 min; "Setup is starting"

language setup screen;

- "select the OS you want to install

Win 10 | x64 | 7/10/2015"

- accepted terms;

Where do you want to install?

- 1 option: Drive 0 partition 1; total 931.GB; free 919.4 GB; Primary;

MSG: "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one; For more info see the setup log files;

pressing "Next". nothing happens;

One of the options is "Format" (see attached). Do I go there?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

Nothing attached but as mentioned in my reply #68  it would be better if the whole HDD got wiped and after Windows has been installed you then create separate partitions for your data etc so yes format is what you need to do.

Advertisements

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

phillpower,

I hope you patience is not wearing out...

As understand, the simplest way to wire HDD is to execute >format c:\ (right?)

Next, partitions must be created, and only then the OS is installed.

What is the best set of instruction, in your opinion, to create partitions, name them, etc.

I do not recall doing this before.

Thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

Sorry but you overthinking things, forget about creating partitions until after Windows has been installed, this has been suggested twice previously.

The HDD gets formatted as part of the installation process, you do not need to enter any sort of command like in the days of DOS, Windows formats and installs itself and all you need to do is follow the on screen prompts.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Well, maybe I am overthinking. I am just afraid to mess up things even more than they are (if it's possible).

Anyway, the "system" does let me proceed with installation:

20210430_165021.jpg

There are no words "disk's controller" in the BIOS menu, that's why I thought about the DOS command.

20210430_165436.jpg

In order to boot from the DVD, I press Enter at this screen:

20210430_134125.jpg

Stuck again...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

You save the settings with the DVD drive atop of the list, pressing the F10 key is a common way of doing this, once done you put the disk in the drive and then restart the computer, the PC should then boot from the DVD drive.

Not sure how a disk controller is involved tbh as Windows own generic drivers are normally used.

Have you tried formatting the drive before attempting the install.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

First of all, I apologize for an error yesterday.  The first statement should have read "Anyway, the "system" does NOT let me proceed with installation:"

You save the settings with the DVD drive atop of the list, pressing the F10 key is a common way of doing this

I did exactly that.

Have you tried formatting the drive before attempting the install.

When being prompted at this screen:

20210501_113047.jpg

I did try Format and the result was the first screen shot posted yesterday.

If "formatting the drive" means doing this before the DVD is inserted, no, I did not.

So, what now?..