Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell PC software problems

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Well, no, I don't think #58 was misread.

I wrote last night: " Removing it [Avast] through Control Panel did not work."

I also found this same link listed in #60 and tried to get into Safe Mode but it did not work:

" I downloaded avastclear.exe and then used this web page as a guide to Start Windows in Safe Mode: https://support.micr...e4-b3e5e56fe234

Everything went well through the last, 4th, screen shot in pt. 4. I clicked on [Restart] but this did not work for me:

"5.          After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or press F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or press F5 for Safe Mode with Networking."

No list of options, just a screen to enter my PIN."

It is my understanding that avastclear.exe should be executed in Safe Mode.  I did not try it in the regular Win environment.

It seems that nothing works...

There may be two alternatives, although I have no idea if either will work.

1. As I wrote last night, there was an option, on the way to Safe Mode, to boot from a recovery USB, but I wanted to coordinate with you first.

2. I have a 4 y.o. HP (writing on it) which came with two DVDs: Win 7, and Win 10 Pro, "for use with a licensed HP or Compaq".  If the C:\ drive wiped out clean (format C:\), will the HP version install? I have a product key (4 groups of 5 characters), but this key is for "Win 10 Pro for Dell"...

About a year ago, this message started popping up at each restart. I've never  changed anything and repeated login with the MS account name/password, but it keeps showing. Don't think it's related to the current problems, but still wanted to share.

Attached Thumbnails

• MS_accouint_problem_msg.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 24,051 posts

Sorry, missed that but in my defence I've had a long and trying day  :(

As things stand Avast it the least of your problems because of the problems that you are having with the present installation of Windows neither playing nice with you or letting you do a clean install, it is as if the computer is possessed or is determined to not let you change anything.

1: At this time I would try any option that you have available to you, it`s not as if you can do any damage.

2: It depends on what is on the HP Windows 10 disk as to whether or not it would be of any use, try popping it in the computer and exploring the contents to see what is on it, the product key you have no need to worry about as the one that is already allocated to the present Windows 10 install will be detected and the appropriate features within Windows installed.

Last throw of the dice would be trying the Recovery partition that is on the HDD, it would if it worked though take you back to the original OS that was installed when the PC shipped and you would then have to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

No need to apologize, please.

Below is a screen shot of the disk contents. One interesting factoid is that the HP refused to read it (!!!) Dell had no such problem. I do not know if it can be of any use. Do I just click on setup.exe? Right now, or after wiping out the C drive?

Here is the plan:

1. Execute "recover from USB" noticed on the way to Safe Mode.

2. If this does not work I would try what you described as the "last throw of the dice" except I do not understand what steps must be taken and in what order. will appreciate the instructions.

3. If this does not work, try installing the OS from the HP provided DVD.

Attached Thumbnails

• dvd_win_10.jpg