Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop windows 10 super slow and leaving black squares on pics wh

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

I have a Dell laptop; windows 10 that has become super slow weather I'm online or off. Also when I'm working on pics sometimes a black square will appear in the pic and I can't get rid of it and it ruins the pic.  

Thanks, Pearl

P.S. attached file is a copy of the black squares randomly left on my pic's.

Attached Thumbnails

• zend6.JPG

Edited by Pearlcatdesign, 07 September 2021 - 09:28 AM.

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Hi, Pearlcatdesign.

Let's make a first diagnosis, to check if the issue is malware related.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your antivirus software detects the tool as malicious, it’s safe to allow FRST to run. It is a false-positive detection.

If English is not your primary language, right click on FRST.exe/FRST64.exe and rename to FRSTEnglish.exe/FRST64English.exe

• Double-click the FRST icon to run the tool. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button and wait for a while.
  • The scanner will produced two logs on your Desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
  • Please attach the content of these two logs in your next reply.

(To attach the files, click on the More Reply Options at the bottom right of the reply area, and then choose Attach File)

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

THank you!

Attached Files

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

I'm currently reviewing your logs. 

Meanwhile, adhere to the guidelines below. 

1. Always ask before acting. Do not continue if you are not sure, or if something unexpected happens!

2. Do not run any tools unless instructed to do so. Also, do not uninstall or install any software during the procedure, unless I ask you to do so.

3. If your computer seems to start working normally, don't abandon the topic. Even if your system is behaving normally, there may still be some malware remnants left over. Additionally, malware can re-infect the computer if some remnants are left. Therefore, please complete all requested steps to make sure any malware is successfully eradicated from your PC.

4. You have to reply to my posts within 3 days. If you need some additional time, just let me know. Otherwise, I will leave the topic due to lack of feedback. If you are able, I would request you to check this thread at least once per day so that we can resolve your issues effectively and efficiently.

5. Logs from malware diagnostic or removal programs can take some time to get analyzed. Also, have in mind that all the experts here are volunteers and may not be available to assist when you post. Please, be patient, while I analyze your logs.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Hello, Pearlcatdesign.

I would feel more comfortable if you let me call you by your name. :)

Before we move on, I would like to ask you if the computer belongs to a company or it is a personal computer. Here, we can help you only if the latter is the case.

What made me ask you this question: The following programs installed in the computer:

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007

Enterprise edition is for big companies and not for individuals. Therefore, the license used here is not legal, unless the computer belongs to a company. If this is not the case, please uninstall it.

If you want an Office platform, you have already WPS Office which is a free alternative of Microsoft Office. Other free alternatives:

ZoomInfo Contact Contributor 

Again, this is a business application with not positive reviews: 

So again, if the computer doesn't belong to a company, the program has to be uninstalled.

Please, let me know what applies to your case.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello, Pearlcatdesign.

I would feel more comfortable if you let me call you by your name. :)

Before we move on, I would like to ask you if the computer belongs to a company or it is a personal computer. Here, we can help you only if the latter is the case.

What made me ask you this question: The following programs installed in the computer:

Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007

Enterprise edition is for big companies and not for individuals. Therefore, the license used here is not legal, unless the computer belongs to a company. If this is not the case, please uninstall it.

If you want an Office platform, you have already WPS Office which is a free alternative of Microsoft Office. Other free alternatives:

ZoomInfo Contact Contributor 

Again, this is a business application with not positive reviews: 

So again, if the computer doesn't belong to a company, the program has to be uninstalled.

Please, let me know what applies to your case.

Hello,

My name is Pearl and I am not a business.  Pearlcat is my Etsy account. The Microsoft 2007 program you mentioned was installed in 2016 or 2017 I think? I have an old XP and I love it but I had to upgrade so I got this laptop. I still don't like it! I loved my XP! My favorite program on my XP was 'Microsoft Works Word Processor' so after trying other programs like Apache and WPS I decided to see if I could somehow get that program from my XP onto my laptop. I went to a computer repair shop locally and the guy in there said I couldn't have Works Word Processor but he could put in a different microsoft program that was just as good. I'm pretty sure the one you mentioned is the one he installed. 

I don't mind removing it but I don't know how to save all my writings and stuff from it first? I hate WPS but have kept it for the same reason. I have things I don't know how to save/remove from them either.

As far as the other program you mention Zoominfo I don't know what that is and I will try and remove it right away.

Thank you very much for your help,

Lisa Pearl  

Edited by Pearlcatdesign, 07 September 2021 - 06:37 PM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Hi, Pearl.

I just asked for your first name, so you can edit your above post and delete the rest, since these are personal data.

Thanks for all the info given.

Since here it's almost 11 p.m. (bed time for me), I will give you a complete reply by tomorrow. 

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Hi, Pearl.

Usually, if the Microsoft Word documents are not too complicated with tables, diagrams etc., the free alternatives programs open them with very minor changes.

And of course, you can always use Microsoft Office Online, where you can use Microsoft Office as before, but online. In other words, you will have a way to open and edit your documents. You will just need to sign in with a Microsoft account. 

As for the Enterprise version, what probably happened in your case, is that the technician installed a Volume license in your computer. This type of license is mainly used by large companies, and it is not legal for ordinary users. 

If you decide to uninstall the 2 programs, let me know, so I can give you further instructions.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Okay, I checked out your recommendations and I like Libra office best . I'll download it and try to transfer all my writings there as soon as the computer stuff is done.

Thank you for your help. 

Pearl

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Good decision. In case your documents don't appear as they should, you can use Microsoft Office Online. 

After you uninstall the two programs, I would like to see fresh FRST logs.

• Double-click on the FRST icon to run it, as you did before. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button and wait for a while.
  • The scanner will produced two logs on your Desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
  • Please attach the content of these two logs in your next reply.

(To attach the files, click on the More Reply Options at the bottom right of the reply area, and then choose Attach File)

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

Hi, Pearl.

Any progress here?

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

LOL No.  I downloaded Libre office and I can't get it to open, so I of course have not transferred my writings from WPS and the windows. Any suggestions?

It shows it is downloaded but when I click on it to open nothing happens. No message saying it can't, just nothing.

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Okay, I got it to open in 'safe mode' now I'm trying to move all my files over. But why will it only open in safe mode? 

I don't want to use microsoft online. I have a ton of files on wps (which I hate but can't figure out how to get free of) 

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Pearl

Edited by Pearlcatdesign, 10 September 2021 - 11:09 AM.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,113 posts

But why will it only open in safe mode?

According Libre Office Help page, 

if LibreOffice opens in Safe Mode only, this is a clear indication that your LibreOffice user profile is corrupt and you need to reset the user profile:

See here and let me know if it helped: Libre not responding will not open - English - Ask LibreOffice

Pearlcatdesign

Pearlcatdesign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Dr. M,

Thank you for that info; I checked it out but I couldn't find a connection to my kind of issue so I uninstalled the 7.1.6 version and installed the 7.2.0 version and it works fine. But I still can't figure out any easy way to transfer all my files from WPS to Libre Office so I will have to cut and paste each one and I have over 200. I'll keep trying to search a quicker better way but it will take awhile. 

Thanks to the covid crap I'm job hunting again because the shop I worked for closed down. So I get online when I can. I know you are busy too so I don't want to hold you up from helping others. My computer skills are unfortunately limited . So what do you want me to do?  If you have any other suggestions I'll gladly try, otherwise, do you want me to contact you when I've got all this done and those programs removed first or can we fix whatever is making my computer slow and the random black squares that show up on my pictures?

I don't know what to do? I'm very sorry.

Pearl

P.S. I'm trying Freeoffice now. I think I already like them better. Maybe I can transfer files easier from wps to them.

P.s.s. I effin quit for the day! I still can't free my files from that awful WPS and move them into Libreoffice  or Freeoffice.

Edited by Pearlcatdesign, 10 September 2021 - 03:55 PM.