Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi, a lot of the screenshots and stuff are outdated, any chance of updating them? Just a thought :)

Advertisements

m8dman

m8dman

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Is it ok to turn off some of the shield features in avast?

mjdona

mjdona

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just found your site yesterday and today I found your recomendations for free antivirus and free antispyware software. Thank you. Getting ready to download a new antivirus.

Thanks again,
mjdona

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For Avast if you do not use for example P2P then yes, however there is no overhead if they are running

surfy

surfy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello,
I have read this thread very carefully and have installed some of the recommended software.
I am stuck when it comes to deciding which firewall to install. I was leaning towards Comodo but just wondering if it's still the recommended choice since it has the Antivirus protection which may not be needed for some. I use Avast and don't want to change. If Comodo is installed by just checking the Firewall does it do the job?
There is also the option of Trust Connect (please see below). Is this part of the firewall, or like an Antispyware program?
I am hoping to get some opinions before I install because I have read that some people have problems uninstalling Comodo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

COMODO TrustConnect:

· Secures Wireless and Wired communication between your PC and other computers
· Makes surfing safe while at public places such as coffee shops, hotels, airports etc.
· Keeps you and your information private, secure, and out of the hands of criminals during your online sessions
· Provides fully encrypted traffic to/from your PC

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi surfy,

You can install just the firewall, anti-virus or both. Trust Connect encrypts your data over wifi. However it's only a trial. Also note, Comodo tends to bark for every flea that goes by. I highly recommend going for something else. Definitely the one you should avoid if you're not that knowledgeable about computers. Online Armor and Outpost Free both do a much better job.

Edited by Buttons1, 26 April 2010 - 04:45 PM.

surfy

surfy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hi surfy,

You can install just the firewall, anti-virus or both. Trust Connect encrypts your data over wifi. However it's only a trial. Also note, Comodo tends to bark for every flea that goes by. I highly recommend going for something else. Definitely the one you should avoid if you're not that knowledgeable about computers. Online Armor and Outpost Free both do a much better job.

Hello,
Thank you very much for the information. I will take a look at the ones you suggested.
Thanks again!

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
No problem.:)

Bryztama

Bryztama

• Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks for the post :)
but for windows users i recommend microsoft security essentials
the best AV for windows OS, and its free
website http://www.microsoft...ity_essentials/

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

thanks for the post :)
but for windows users i recommend microsoft security essentials
the best AV for windows OS, and its free
website http://www.microsoft...ity_essentials/

Yep.:)
MSE is an okay choice for average users, but it's not that good. I've found that MSE fails to protect its files from termination/deletion. Plus it has some performance issues.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm running MSE on a Win XP netbook with 1 GB ram, and have noticed no performance issues. The scanner is fast and overhead is low. Many of the experts on the site recommend this product right now. We've found it to be effective, and it's very easy for the average user to set up and use.

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

I'm running MSE on a Win XP netbook with 1 GB ram, and have noticed no performance issues. The scanner is fast and overhead is low. Many of the experts on the site recommend this product right now. We've found it to be effective, and it's very easy for the average user to set up and use.

From what I've seen, MSE causes a noticeable delay in windows explorer. Takes several seconds longer to load folders/files. Also stalls for a minute or two once a day. Malware also can delete its files easily, plus the scanner can break. I wouldn't call an 8 hour full scan fast. That's pretty pathetic

Edited by Buttons1, 19 May 2010 - 08:57 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I'm with Buttons1 on this one. My full scans took an inordinate amount of time; scans with Avast and even AVG didn't take half as much time (and I only have about 35 GB of data on the drive, defragged and junk cleaned). And it feels... too lightweight. Maybe it would work well for a netbook, but I like the feel of a solid AV with shields and such.

Easy for the user to set up, but so is Avast. It's good that we have multiple options, though. And it's good we're discussing it. :)

Edited by FNP, 19 May 2010 - 10:53 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, out of curiosity I ran full scans on both my netbook and my desktop (160 gb hard drive, 80 gb used, running Vista Pro). I didn't clean out temp files first or anything. My netbook took approximately 1.5 hours, my desktop took ~2 hours. I don't call that an inordinate amount of time for a full scan; I also noted that during the scan, I noticed no degradation of performance. I have seen no issues with Explorer - my files/folders open pretty much instantly on my desktop PC. I'm not sure what you mean by "the scanner can break". I will stand by my recommendation; for many people, a lightweight simple product is sufficient, and it's important to have a product that you're comfortable with.

Edited by sari, 19 May 2010 - 11:07 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
To each his (or her) own. When I was testing MSE at the end of April it took over 4 hours to run a full scan on my notebook (250GB). It does do it's job- no argue with that. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

Or we could all go back to pen and paper and not have to worry about it. :)