Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I am running Microsoft Security Essentials, and the paid version of MBAM. Windows firewall. I like WinPatrol. The latest update is only half done... more to come. :)

Advertisements

heidisvenson

heidisvenson

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I have a new computer with Windows 7 and the Norton that came on it is about to expire. I plan on using Microsoft Security Essentials as the antivirus, but I'm worried about the firewall. Right now, when I check through the control panel, it says that Norton is handling everything. Once I uninstall Norton, will there be a default firewall underneath, or will I need to download a new one?

Thanks for your help!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
heidisvenson-

In a word, yes. :)

There is a default firewall that comes with Windows called (creatively) Windows Firewall. It's not terribly effective, which is why this thread recommends a few free firewall programs. Once Norton is gone, you will need to install a new firewall program if you don't want to use Windows Firewall.

heidisvenson

heidisvenson

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thx!

jenn8485

jenn8485

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have been trying to run an online virus scan from eset, bitdefender, panda and kaspersky but when i click on the link to start the scanner nothing happens. It does this for all of them. I tried running these from safe mode with networking but none of the links for the scans will work. What do I do?

Edited by jenn8485, 07 June 2010 - 03:48 PM.

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Very nice list, personally I think only one free antivirus is missing....Panda Cloud Antivirus. I know on many security forums everyone says Panda cloud can not be trusted, it's bad at protecting a PC, or something close to those last posts but it is a good antivirus.

Second thing is the Comodo and the ZoneAlarm screen shots are out of date, I know Comodo v4 and ZA v9 has a new UI compared to the latest version.

Finally for on demand scanners why not add Hitman PRO (no disinfection after 30 day trial) and Trend Micro House Call?

maxdakota123

maxdakota123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Microsoft Security Essentials
Microsoft Security Essentials shows much promise. It is decent at detecting malware, particularly in proactive tests that simulate the handling of new, unknown malware. It took first place in my rankings of free antivirus software.

Xox

Xox

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi, I'm getting a new Dell PC (Win 7 64-bit) soon that comes with McAfee SecurityCenter pre-installed. I'm thinking of uninstalling it right away (especially after reading about McAfee VirusScan on Wikipedia) and installing your recommended AV (Microsoft Security Essentials), anti-spyware (MBAM + SUPERAntiSpyware) and possibly firewall (Comodo).

Question 1 (AV) - does MSE's better performance/resource usage and definitions beat Avast's boot scan capabilities? I've been using Avast up to now, and actually did need the boot scan when I had a trojan attack. I like the new Avast and have had no problems with it, but I want the best product.

Question 2 (anti-spyware) - I currently have Ad-aware, Spybot and MBAM. Ad-aware has a realtime component (Ad-Watch), whereas MBAM is just an on-demand scanner. I don't use Spybot much now. I see that Ad-aware doesn't make your recommended list, but I've found it to be good at finding spyware and removing it. Is it a good 1-2 punch with MBAM, or should I use MBAM + SUPERAntiSpyware, which also appears to have its own realtime protection?

Question 3 (firewall) - I don't use a firewall currently (was that foolhardy?). I assume Windows 7 comes with a firewall. Should I turn it off and install your recommended Comodo product instead?

Question 4 - Are all these products 64-bit OS compatible? (and is that even an appropriate question?)

Thanks,

Xox.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
If you're happy with Avast, there's no reason to switch, but I've found that MSE is very light on resources. Avast is a good program though, so it comes down to personal preference. The full version of MBAM does have real-time protection, as well as the ability to schedule scans - it's only the free version that is on-demand only. MBAM has proven itself effective against many of the current threats, particularly the numerous rogue applications that are out there now. Both MBAM and MSE run on 64 bit systems.

As for a firewall - the firewall with Windows 7 is more robust than the older version that was on Windows XP, and will provide better protection. Using a 3rd party option might be customizable, but the built-in firewall is certainly better than nothing at all!

funiwant

funiwant

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
hello, i am currently running Webroot Internet Security Essentials, actually my sub expired today and i was wondering if it would be better to use MSE or stay with the paid version of my current Webroot product? if it is recommended to go with a paid av, how is webroot, is there a program that "geeks" recommend or is MSE just as good as the one i am paying for now. help, also i have a new laptop on the way, so i guess this would also be installed on that one too. my current computer has XP on it, new laptop will be windows 7. thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Oberon75

Oberon75

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
What about Lavasoft's AdAware? There is a free personal version that always managed to find things Symantec or McAfee Left behind.

Edited by Oberon75, 15 September 2010 - 05:21 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Its not very good, MBAM is the best anti-spyware program by a mile

Varayana

Varayana

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

hello, i am currently running Webroot Internet Security Essentials, actually my sub expired today and i was wondering if it would be better to use MSE or stay with the paid version of my current Webroot product? if it is recommended to go with a paid av, how is webroot, is there a program that "geeks" recommend or is MSE just as good as the one i am paying for now. help, also i have a new laptop on the way, so i guess this would also be installed on that one too. my current computer has XP on it, new laptop will be windows 7. thanks for any help.

Just thought I would say that I did use Webroot ISE and while I loved it, I found that my computer became slower and slower each year I updated to the latest version. Plus, I could not for the life of me figure out how to configure the firewall to allow access to my WoW game. I tried everything I could find online and nothing worked except for turning it off, so I decided it was time for me to switch. I switched to VIPRE a few months ago on my laptop and love it. It's easy to use and I love that.
I am currently installing free programs on my mom's laptop right now and I am using MSE, Comodo Firewall, MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster on her laptop.

CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you for the help and a clean machine now for months since you bailed me out! My question arises from a need to remove the free Avast and your recommendation in support of the MS product (I cannot in good conscience continue to use Avast unlicensed as I'm starting a small business). I'm currently running:
ERUNT - regular backups
Sysrestore - regular restorepoints
TFC - occasional cleanup
MBAM - run on demand only, not full time - toolchest in case I suspect something
Spybot S&D - ditto above
SuperAntiSpyware Free - keep updated and normally run.
Avast Free - normally used, but need install MS or purchase Avast since I've begun to try to start a small business.
SpywareBlaster - Normally run
SpywareGuard - Normally run
Comodo Firewall (w/defense+,)- Normally run
MPV-hosts file, updated monthly
McAfee Site Advisor- run normally
Auslogics Disk Defrag - run occasionally
Update Checker - FileHippo - run normally
and wish to make the change but fear conflict will arise from the 'suite' I am using. Do you see conflicting programs here or especially considering the proposed change in Antivirus?
Thanks
Crackerboy :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If you are running Spybots TeaTimer then that will interfere with SpywareGuard. Personally I would remove Spybot as its not that good anymore, and MBAM does a terrific job.

Looks fine besides that