Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply

BMTHmisfit

BMTHmisfit

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hey chalao,
Does this happen during the install, or have you installed it and the message comes up?
Could you post what the message says?
Reply back and I will help

Advertisements

chalao

chalao

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well this happens during the installation when i click install it pops out saying that it is invaild for the win32

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

There are so many antiviruses. Which one is the best?

I have had most of the top name av programs at one time or another. I would like the answer to this question too. The last couple of av programs I had were ESET NOD32, Dr. Web, and BitDefender. All 3 missed infections. I have had better luck with the free Malwarebytes, but am not sure if I want to totally rely on it. I read that it does not detect rootkits well. So what is the answer? My ESET NOD 32 is about to expire in close to two weeks. I need to know what to try next. Kapersky seemed good, but it asked me too many questions, and many I were not sure how to answer. ESET NOD32 is very user friendly, but rarely detected anything. Malwarebytes did more detecting by far. I am considering getting the paid version of that unless I hear differently on here. Hopefully people will chime in on what they like, and what has worked for them.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I've been running NOD32 in my office and at home for close to 4 years, and have had it detect and quarantine many viruses. I'm surprised that it's rarely detected anything for you - are you talking about finding infections once they're installed, or preventing infections? The free Malwarebytes is an on-demand scanner, so it should not be your sole source of protection - it won't prevent infections, only catch them afterwards. I would recommend a combination of an antivirus, antispyware, and firewall. I would still recommend NOD32, as my experience has been good with it, but Avira is also highly recommended. If you purchase Malwarebytes, you'll be getting real-time protection from that as well, rather than simply having an on-demand scanner. SpywareBlaster can help prevent bad ActiveX programs from installing, and SpywareGuard is a real-time protection program. However, don't install this if you're considering the paid version of MBAM, as you don't want two real-time spyware protection programs. This link provides more information on keeping yourself protected.

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
ESET NOD 32 has not detected many virus after I already had them. Malwarebytes found them afterwards and was able to get rid of them. Now real time I had ESET stop two or three problems, but on a regular basis, the ESET program does not see anything... I have had ESET NOD 32 now for almost a year. I like the program as a whole, but do not understand why it isn't detecting more virus when free programs do. I did have Malwarebytes find a false positive once, so you have to be careful. ESET NOD 32 did this a couple of times too. Maybe I will keep this program. I will see what more people say. I have to make up my mind fairly quick though, because I have under two weeks before the subscription runs out.

I have Spybot Search and Destroy, and Hostsman, and Spywareblaster. I used to have Spywaregaurd, but was told that was overkill the last time I had a virus I couldn't get rid of. It was recommended I choose between Spywareguard and Spybot S&D if I remember right. I did like that program, and hated to get rid of it. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by kelkay, 29 July 2009 - 11:25 AM.

boogz

boogz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Why are there only 3 to 5 or so examples of each of the types of software and such when in reality there are thousands and more of each one? It just seems like such a small number of examples for the different categories? I am not trying to be obnoxious... just wondering why so little :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Well, there may be many of each, but not all are worth getting. We've tried to limit the list to the ones that we feel are the beat. We can't possibly evaluate, list, and describe thousands of programs, and there's really no point recommending anything that only sort of does the job, or has a high number of false positives, or a poor detection rate.

welchdan

welchdan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I must say my favorite is rising antivirus bu if it is for a computer iliterate person when microsofts antivirus comes out i woulduse that

techvech

techvech

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hi all
i am planning to use the following softwares available for free :

avira antivirus
superantispyware
spywareblaster
comodo firewall (only the firewall)

do you think its a good combination ?? Do i need to add something else, to keep my system secure ?
Will they use too many resources ? I have a 1GB RAM, and sometimes have to use heavy applications for work... i just hope it wouldn't slow it down much !
Also, I spend a lot of time surfing the web and i usually keep installing applications..

thanks..

cheri54

cheri54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have skimmed the topics and didn't see anything, so forgive me if I missed it. I have been using applications on Facebook a lot for some time and recently I'm getting a pop up message that tells me that the website recommends that I install Reputation Shield from Iovation. It appears Reputation Shield is a spyware, malware, virus (trojan) blocker but I need to know if it's safe and if it is should I install it using Iovations download or should I install from somewhere else?

Advertisements

diazed

diazed

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
As far as outbound traffic, this can be important if a user gets infected with a back door or other program that is sending information out to another location (stealing your passwords, for example). In that case, the firewall could alert you that a new process was trying to access the internet, which could be your first clue that you'd been infected by anything.

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

If you have an MSN subscription, and can get it free it's better than nothing. But there are better alternatives. One that's not in this list yet: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Avast and Threatfire should work well together. However, I personally prefer SpywareBlaster.

Can i run SpywareBlaster at the same time as Avast & SUPERAntiSpyware ???

Cheers guys

Mac :)

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

First of all, SpywareBlaster is not a realtime application. It does not run any processes. So there wouldn't be any conflict between Avast, SAS and SpywareBlaster. To use SpywareBlaster you have to open it up and update it. Just don't forget it.

MacAoidh

MacAoidh

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

First of all, SpywareBlaster is not a realtime application. It does not run any processes. So there wouldn't be any conflict between Avast, SAS and SpywareBlaster. To use SpywareBlaster you have to open it up and update it. Just don't forget it.

Thanks Eclipsed,

I've just downloaded, but not used as yet, Malwarebytes Anti-malware. Can i still have SpywareBlaster aswell ???

Thanks again

Mac :)

quazar67

quazar67

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks for all soory my english not well