Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player Freezes

• Please log in to reply

wyndorf

wyndorf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi...
i 've got them same video card (geforce 6200) and i have the same problem: when i try to play a video file (whatever avi, mpg, quicktime...) the windows media player freezes and the only solution is to reset the system. I try with winamp media player to play the videos and it crashed too. so i think the cause it's not the codecs.
I reinstalled windows xp, and i've got the video drivers that came with the card and i fear that the problem is something about the card.

can you help us with any idea?

(sorry about my english)

Advertisements

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
yea it sucks..really need to figure out what's wrong..perhaps we should look on nvidia's site? nvidia's site doesn't seem very helpful

Edited by Rob06, 09 July 2005 - 06:52 PM.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I tried completely deleting the video drivers and I used driver cleaner 3, but it still doesn't work...I don't know what to do because as he said it probably isn't codec related because it does it in EVERY media player, no matter what it is.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I found this that MIGHT help but only one thing helped: http://forums.nvidia....php?t5247.html
I was able to watch videos when I turned down my hardware acceleration, however, I still need to figure out a fix to this problem...

wyndorf

wyndorf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
where can i turned down the hardware accel.? i can't find it.

i just bought the card the last thursday and i'm thinking in change it for a 5500 cos 6600 is too expensive. is it a good idea or it's better to wait to fix the bug?

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
You can do that by right clicking on your desktop and going to properties, then settings, then advanced and lastly troubleshooting.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I really hope that I can find a way to actually get it to work so I don't have to do that everytime I want to watch a movie.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm just going to wait.

vitasoy

vitasoy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
mannn i got the SAME problem...i have a 6600GT

wyndorf

wyndorf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks. i found the place and now i can see the videos but you've got the true. We must look for a solution. i'm still thinking to change the card for a 5500

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if your running the latest version of nvidea drivers (77.xx) try and downgrade to 71.xx. I have seen lots of issues in this forum and other boards where the latest version of thier drivers has lots of issues.

starjax

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I tried to do that but when I tried to install them, it said that it didn't find any compatible hardware for some reason.

wyndorf

wyndorf

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah... it seems not to recognize the cardwith 71.84 or 71.89 drivers version. we have the same problems :tazz: .
what motherboard do you have?
i've got ASUS A7V8x-x with an AMD 2400+ XP... with 1GB of RAM

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Do you people Know where Device Manager is???(Device Manager should have your card listed under - Display Adapters. If not then your card has not been installed properly, if so then right-click on your card, hit properties and install/update your drivers from there if you havnt already done so)... and does anyone here READ!!! My friend owns the same card and would have had the same stupid, yet easily sorted out problems if I didn't do what I already told you all to do.
wyndorf, thanks for throwing heaps of confusion to the wind. If windows media player cant play a file because of codecs then neither will winamp. Do you know what codecs your movies were encoded with? Unless you are trying to play .MOV files ONLY... Then your Player probably has nothing to do with the problem unless your playing an MPEG4 V1,2,3 encoded Movie which usually plays better in Media Player Classic OR you could try getting around that problem by downloading and installing the mpeg4x_fix which replaces mpg4c32.dll in System32 so that you can play mpeg4 v1,2 and 3 format in Windows Media Player 6.4 or later. I have say though... it is hard to work out what your problem is when I dont know what codecs you already have installed on your PC and what codecs are in the movies that you are trying to watch. Maybe you lot should try converting an .avi to mpg sometime(to create a DVD with) just to see how you go... I guarantee that you would all fail because if you cant play an .avi in Windows Media Player then you wont be able to render it in the software that you are trying to convert it with. BUT I spose while there are people like you around, I'm not going out of business anytime soon. :tazz:

Edited by willow28, 12 July 2005 - 11:23 PM.

Rob06

Rob06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I have the same motherboard with 768 mb of ram and a XP 2400+ cpu...why would it matter where the device manager is, I know where it is, and I checked it, this problem has something to do with the drivers.

Edited by Rob06, 12 July 2005 - 09:51 PM.