Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp. shuts down , no warning no nothing

• Please log in to reply

hellawaits

hellawaits

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
[SIZE=1][B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7] This is for my daugther's comp.
It powers up fine i can use it for a while then it just powers off. To be able to power it up again i have to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in for the comp. to turn on , when i do that it stays on for a little bit and shuts down again.
If I leave it unpluged for a day or a few days when i turn it on again It'll work fine for a few hours and then back to the begining.... shuts off.
The last i did was install adaware and advanced system optimizer , ran them got rid of a bunch of junk and I thought that was what it needed.... :ph34r: YEAH RIGHT!!!! It shut down again.... so i don't know how to check for the processor temp. or what else can be doing that??

:tazz: :) Thanks for your help. :) :)

btw it's running XP

Edited by hellawaits, 04 September 2005 - 05:54 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Remove the side cover, check to see if there is dust in the CPU cooler fins. If there is, gently remove it with a soft brush, or blow it out with canned air. When you boot up watch to see if the cooling fan starts, and if it does, does it stop after a while. You have classic symptoms of CPU overheating.

eusjma

eusjma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had a problem once where my power supply fan quit working. The computer would run for a little while - until the power supply got hot - then just shut down. When you check the CPU fan, you might check the power supply fan as well.

Good Luck

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
To summarize:

1. Check that the CPU and Power Supply fans are working
2. Monitor the temperature of your CPU via your CPU/motherboard utility software. Some CPUs have integrated protection so if it gets too hot the computer will auto shutdown.
3. Post your complete system specs. Is it a new PC? Did you build it yourself? Is it brand? What kind of heatsink/fan solution do you have? What is your primary use of the computer - gaming, work, 3d modelling, etc?

I can guarantee with 95% confidence that either your power supply is inadequate or dying, or your CPU is getting too hot and the system is shutting down itself to prevent damage.

Syke

Syke

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
open the case clean it with a vaccume or some air blower to remove the dust and try it if its still not working the computer may be overheating you might also need a power supply or there may be a loose connection inside the computer

hellawaits

hellawaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Syke ,eusjma, biyectivo, tyger , Thanks ALL for your replies.
I'm sorry for the long time it took me to write back.
The comp. is a HP Pavilion (about 4 years old) I think is the heat sink , but because its a small case (tower) is really hard for me to take a good look at the heat sink (i don't know how to tell you what kind of heat sink it is) , the fan on top of the heat sink is working and the fan for the power supply also works.
The comp. is mostly used to access the internet and play music.

Thanks for your help.

I'll try to get the vaccum close to the heat sink and I'll let you know what happened. :tazz:

Edited by hellawaits, 08 September 2005 - 11:38 AM.

hellawaits

hellawaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi there.... :ph34r:

I had to take the whole comp. apart (well almost) and took the heat sink off the MB and vacuum the [bleep] thing.... :) put the comp. back together plug it in turn it on and PUFF!!!! off it went again :) you thing it can be the power supply going bad?? :tazz:

:) Thanks for your help. :ph34r:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

When you replaced the heatsink did you clean and reapply thermal paste, this is important

When you put the system back together did it shut off right away or did it run for awhile as before?

I am asking because we want to make sure there are not multiple problems the first being overheat because of the taking apart/reassembly of the hs and 2nd the psu (power supply) possibly being bad. We first want to make sure the computer is not overheating causeing the shutdown before we move on to the psu

Rick

hellawaits

hellawaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi there...

Thermal paste??where do i get that?? where to apply it?? I didn't know anything about thermal paste..... :)

It powers up but shuts donw a few minutes after it's running.

I'm thinking it might be the PS , I might change it to a bigger tower i have to see if it's the PS (i just didn't wanted to do that... but....) :)

If there's anything else I can do before switching to the other case please let me know. I still don't know how to monitor the temperature , can someone tell me??

Guys I really appretiate your help , taking your time to help me out , thank a lot :tazz: :)

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
w/o thermal paste ur processor will over heat quick thermal paste is what transfers the heat from ur processor to ur heatsink so without it the temp will just keep goin up till it hits the threshold.

Lion

Advertisements

hellawaits

hellawaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Where can i get the thermal paste???

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ugh, trust me buddy, your CPU is overheating. Thats exactly what would happen when my heatsink fell off. The CPU isnt getting aquedate cooling.

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ugh, trust me buddy, your CPU is overheating. Thats exactly what would happen when my heatsink fell off. The CPU isnt getting aquedate cooling.

hellawaits

hellawaits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I trust you and believe you. Thanks for the advice.
just one thing... where can i buy the thermal paste???

I really appreciate your help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can get artic silver here it what I recommend but make sure you follow the instructions on how to apply.

You also need to clean the old paste off, scrape of with a piece of credit card the clean up the remainder with Isopropyl alcohol.

You can also purchase Artic cleaner witch does work better than isopropyl.

Once you get the hs mounted correctly with new thermel paste it could fix the problem if not post back

Rick