Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Oh is it now? Ok thanks.

Is 300 Watt enough for a 7900GTX or something like that?

Edited by Casheti, 30 April 2006 - 07:00 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah you are lookin 450-500W for a 7900 not a good time to get a high end gfx card, but really you got truly ripped on that PC if its only got a 300W PSU, you know for a £1000 budget you can build a 4400+ 2gig ram x1900XT system.

Edited by warriorscot, 30 April 2006 - 07:03 AM.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
okay...last night i got cought up in playing oblivion, here is what i play it on (with a radeon 9550)
res: 800x600 (i can play it higher, but it runs perfect on this setting)
texture size: large (what does this do?)
tree fade: medium high
actor fade: high
item fade, object fade, grass distance: medium high
view distance: high
distant land, buildings, trees: on
interior shadows: medium
exterior shadows: medium
self shadows: on
bloom: on
all water sttings:on/high
blood decals: high
aa 2x
it looks great on these settings.
2 questions: will running aa on 6x make the game slower? i used to have it on 6x, but it got a little glitchy around a ton of grass. and, again, what does the texture size do?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They make the detail better, i believe you now, 800x600 is about as low as that game gets, new cards wont even run well at such a low resolution. If youre ok with that thats fine mind you i couldnt play at a low res like that, most prefer to lower settings and have a higher res.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have a Geforce 6800XT, AMD Athlon 64 3700+, and a Gig of RAM. What am I looking at? Hopefully high-end at 1024x768?

I don't know how well this proves anything, but I play Half-Life 2 at full settings at 1248x1024 with no lag.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i don't know about high on 1024, but your card definately will be able to paly it at fairly good settings. (it's a mid-range card)

crazygamerm2

crazygamerm2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yo guys havent been on for a while i just got my computer finished but 2 days into playing oblivian the power supplie crapped out on me :blink:

antec sent me another but was DOA :help:
i had almost lost all faith in antec untill they gave me my money back :)

no i have a sunbeam duuo 550 watt psu which kicks some a$$

my 6800 ultra xfx runs high settings fora everything on oblivian and it was a good deal too :whistling:

this is awsome :)

crazygamerm2

crazygamerm2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yo guys havent been on for a while i just got my computer finished but 2 days into playing oblivian the power supplie crapped out on me :blink:

antec sent me another but was DOA :help:
i had almost lost all faith in antec untill they gave me my money back :)

no i have a sunbeam duuo 550 watt psu which kicks some a$$

my 6800 ultra xfx runs high settings fora everything on oblivian and it was a good deal too :whistling:

this is awsome :)

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
double post!!!
speaking of power supplies and fans, i have a 450 watt fan/power supply and it's uber loud. It's new, too, i got it in march, so i know that it isn't breaking down on me.does anybody know if a wire is unhooked or anything? it get's kind of annoying aftetr a while. (it's not always loud, but it goes off and on) if you need to know the maker, just say so. i'm just to lazy to open up my computer right now.