Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Localised Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, I want to get Windows XP to run in UK English... but even thought I've set everything in the Regional and Language Options to "English (United Kingdom)" it still isn't working. Whenever I hover over the Minimise button at the top-right of the title bar it says "Minimize" in a tooltip, and buttons still say "Customize" (instead of "Customise")

Any ideas? :whistling: It's kinda annoying, because when you think about it, US English and UK English have become almost two different languages now.

Thanks for reading. :blink:

Edited by o2mcgovem, 18 April 2006 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Move to the US

Well, actually, I have no idea if what you are asking is possible. There are many "localized" versions of Windows, but I do not think UK English is one of them (which would be needed for userinterface/dialogue box changes you seek...so, I'm going to bring in our UK based guy....sit tight.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a question is the difference between a z and an s really that big of an issue?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually its a bigger pain than you think there are some minor but annoying differences between our keyboard our @ key is located where youre " key is or so it seems as a US keyboard thinks that where it is and spelling differences can mean when writing a report that has to be assessed can get marked down.

The easiest way to do it is if you do it when you install windows as you can sometimes need files. You can do it after itll just need me to remember it, if you go into control panel and go to regional and language settings and change everything from united states to united kingdom on both pages. If the keyset is loaded in it should work below is how to get it stick.

OK, ive tweaked around a bit and i think i remember what you need to do to get it to stick, you need to load in the unkited kingdom text services, to do this you go the language bar(the bit in the task bar that say EN, and right click and go to settings. There you can change the "default input language" to UK, also you may also have to Add the service to get it to stay.

It should then look like this: txt_srv.JPG when its all set up properly, also included there is the language bar at the bottom if you dnot know where it is.

Sorry for the messy reply its one of those things that i do once a year at most and i cant always remember the details of how to do it unless i play around with it, once its done though it should stay that way and your language troubles should be fixed and your computer should now speak proper english not the weird american english.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 April 2006 - 11:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

annoying differences between our keyboard our @ key is located where youre " key is or so it seems as a US keyboard thinks that where it is and spelling differences can mean when writing a report that has to be assessed can get marked down.

i can understand that...but the input local (i.e. keyboard layout) has absolutely nothing to do with the UI (user interface) language...which would be affecting the "customize" "customise" deal...the UI changes generally need to be accessed through the windows MUI setup (multi user interface) i do this alot with japanese machines...i wouldn't think it would be neccessary for UK english...but maybe...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh i know what you mean Dsnette but you need to do it for the whole thing and load in the text services file and change it in the language bar before itll go to UK english and then stay UK english all the time if you dont in my experience it resets itself.

It took me a long time to figure out how to get it to stick thats the way it works it should work just in regional settings but it doesnt.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I do this often in installations of XP.

When you open up that window of the keyboard layouts, click the US keyboard layout, and click remove, it may say you need to reboot, click ok, and click remove again. Click apply, then OK. Did this make a difference?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i can't wait to see how this turns out

I tried that, but it did not change the dialogues like minimize and minimise

maybe I missed something

I thought you needed to do it at setup too, because the common controls that include the dialogue reside in some dlls, but I might have skipped a step when I tried earlier

either way, I'm sure you brits will get it straightened out (now if only you could get your government to work right---er, wait, I'm from the US....forget I said anything)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge teh UI settings are only available when the MUI is installed

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is possible to change it after install, its just a bit tricky took me many years to finally get it to do it, afterwards i realised why bother just do it during the install because if you do it after there are still "conflicts".

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...p/changeui.mspx see how there's that extra box on the first image? that's the MUI of which i speak...doesn't really specify between uk englsih and american english...

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It must be changeable, even if there is a downloadable pack from MS or something... This must be a common case...

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I tried the language bar thing, it was already set to UK. What's the MUI? and how do I get hold of it? Is it like a download or something? It says here http://www.microsoft...calsupport.mspx that English UK is supported.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 19 April 2006 - 12:13 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

How can I acquire Windows MUI?
The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels.

it's kind of something you would have had to request when purchasing the computer originally it has to come with the o/s (though it is a seperate set of disks)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
mui is the multi-user interface (mui) pack was included in windows xp sp1

I do not believe it is the solution for your troubles.