Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Localised Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
ah, okay then. I'll check on the manufacturer's website then.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I honestly don't know that there is even a uk localized version for the minimize and maximize buttons....have you actually seen that one someone else's machine?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All i know is that the only way ive got it to work after installation is if UK input service is loaded up in the language bar settings, otherwise i could never get it to stick to the proper spellings and keyboard.

Although its easier just to remember to change it on installation which is the only sure way i know of, some things dont though spelling wise, for example colour is always spelt color in menus, menus dont usually change to the proper spelling just things like the spellcheckers etc. will use the proper dictionary to check aganist and anything not set in code is changed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If so, have him/her right click on comdlg32.dll in c:\windows\system32 and relate the infromation under the VERSION tab--specificially, LANGUAGE

I am not a programmer, but I am fairly certain that is where that information comes from....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Scott,

could you check that for me? Your PC has a MINIMISE and MAXIMISE

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
When I was looking for contact information or a website or something for the manufactuer in System Information and it says Locale- United States. I checked all the regional settings and it's all set to UK. Is there any way to change the locale thing?

And that comdlg thing says English (United States). Anyway to change this or is it like a thing you can't change?

Edited by o2mcgovem, 20 April 2006 - 06:29 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's see if this works...THERE IS a verson of the MUIsetup.exe that comes with service pack1....i'm not sure that it actually comes with the language packs though..
navigate to C:\WINDOWS\mui (if it exists)
and run the muisetup.exe and see if that gives you the options to pick a new language for the UI

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
C:\WINDOWS\mui exists, but there's nothing in there. No hidden files either. I checked both our XP computers. On the Windows 2000 computer, I searched for MUI but found nothing. The comdlg thing on that says language English (United States) even though the locale is set to UK.

I was searching mui (on xp) and there's a folder in system32 called en-US that's got loads of .mui files . Can I change any of these to make them UK English?

Edited by o2mcgovem, 20 April 2006 - 07:04 AM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Actually, I don't think the MUI thing's available for Home Edition Users. It says at the bottom of this page http://www.microsoft.../choosing2.mspx that it's an XP Pro feature.

(Am I right here? Because if so, I'll consider upgrading)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I honestly don't know that there is even a uk localized version for the minimize and maximize buttons....have you actually seen that one someone else's machine?

if you want help, please answer the questions you are asked...and please no "I think so"s--go look at someone's machine

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
No, I haven't.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
haven't what? Looked to see if there even is such a thing as a UK localized version with minimise and maximise?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
No, I haven't seen if there's a localised UK version with minimise and maximise buttons.

Edited by o2mcgovem, 20 April 2006 - 07:47 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
...and, are you going to go look? Call someone? Ask someone? Cuz, that would be really helpful....I am not entirerly certain that what you are asking exists at the moment....(which surprises me)

Where did you get this PC?

Where did you get this copy of Windows?

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I've checked with three of my friends... All three haven't got localised menus and buttons. Plus, they didn't have anything in the C:\WINDOWS\mui folder either.

I got the PC through a scheme at work.

And, Windows was already pre-installed on it. When it was first turned on it asked some questions about users and internet connections, and something about registration... but nothing about UK English.