Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot repair OR re-load Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
failed to successfully scan disk for windows installations this error may be caused by corrupt file system, which would prevent boot config from successfully scanning. use check disk to detect any disk errors.

note this operationh ust complete successfully in order for the rebuild commands to be utilized.....

Advertisements

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
it turned off again...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the prompt, type chkdsk /r (again, not the space) and press "Enter"

You will be told the volume is busy and asked if you want to schedule this check to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter"

If you are asked for the path to autochk.exe, it may be time for the recovery cd. It's starting to look like the partition is hidden...we'll find out with this step.

The path to autochk.exe is: c:\windows\system32

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your machine overheating?

Leave it off for a while and try again in a bit...I'll be on for a while yet.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I will not be tryinhg to fix the computer again until 10:00....When I do, and if it the skndsk thingy does not work... do I just put the recovery cd in? THe thing is, the CD wont work i guess unless those 6 floppy disks are in there...IF I do,do I just put it in at any point after the 6 are in?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll have to check the Compaq site, but I think when using the recovery cd you want to put the cd in and do a complete power down and then power back up.

Before you use the recovery cd, you'll want to set the boot priority so cd-rom is first, HDD second, and floppy third.

Try the recovery console again...I'm very curious as to what happened to your machine and there are a couple more things we can try from that prompt.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
yea thats what I thought... Its not going to work. If I have to restart the computer without those 6 floppies then its just going to say that one file is corrupt or missing. See... thats the wierd part... without those 6 discs we get NOWHERE....anyway, now you are going to be gone and I have to EXPLAIN EVERYTHING and that is going to be a DRAG! Thank yoiu so much for your help......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be here for a while yet... :whistling:

There is information on using the recovery cd HERE.

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried chkdsk and it came back with autochk.exe could not be located in either the start up directory or the cdrom drive so then I typed c:\windows\system32 and it said autochkiexe could not be found
Any suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try c:\windows\system32\autochk.exe

I think it's the partition it isn't finding...not the file. This is not a good sign as far as your data is concerned. :whistling:

Advertisements

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
the command is not recognized....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type fixmbr and press "Enter".

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
caution this cmputer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master reboot record

fixmbr may damage your partition tables if you proceed

this could cause all paratitiohns o the curent hard disk to become inaccessible

if you are not having problems accessihng your hard drive do not continue

are you sure you want to write a new mbr

tanamarie

tanamarie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
my computer just turned off

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes

At this point we just need to find the partition...I think that is the whole problem here.